flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EPSOM GAMES CLUB
GAME PLAYING DAY

Saturday October 15th
from 10:30 until 18:30

ADMISSION IS FREE

Epsom Games Club was formed late last year and is already a well attended Thursday evenings club.

We think that the venue we have found is so well suited to game playing that we are holding our tenth (double figures!) gaming day.

We will be at the usual venue of

Royal British Legion
Federation House
21 West Street
EPSOM
Surrey
KT18 7RL

The venue is a few minutes walk from Epsom mainline station. Beware - the revenue protection officers seem to live at Epsom station and are ruthless about inflicting penalty fares!

The RBL does allow people to bring in food (they do not normally provide any over the weekend) and there are also many places to eat within easy walking distance. There is normally a group "pizza buy-in" order made circa lunch time.

Drinks are very well priced and there is no need to become a member to play games or obtain drinks at the event.

We will use an open gaming format although many use the game days to play some of the longer (time wise) games in their collections, especially some of the war games or longer 18xx games.

For myself, I tend to prefer Euro style games, and those at the "lighter" end of the gaming spectrum and will bring several along with me, but please feel free to bring along any of your games you wish to play.

This event is open to anyone of any age who appreciates playing boardgames (and card games!) but we do ask that all children are accompanied, but this has to be by an adult who has beaten them in at least one game recently!

Our game playing exploits are recorded on games played at Epsom Gamers.

If this sounds like fun, but you think you may not know the games that will be on offer to play do not worry, people are always prepared to teach beginners - how do you think we learnt to play them?

Please use this list to ask any questions, let us know that you are intending to attend, to arrange any games you would like to play or for any other relevant matter.

Look forward to seeing you there.

P.S. There is an evening event in the function room,hence the early finish time, but we are welcome to relocate to the other bar and play there as we have done on previous occaisons.

[N.B. There is very limited free parking at the venue and although the venue is at the edge of the town, due to the proximity of the station, the area has parking restrictions on the street next to the venue in force until 18:30. There are also several privately enforced parking places in the area - please do not park illegally or else you could (probably will) get a penalty notice and that will put a dampener on the day for you! Please use the venue car park, other car parks (fee payable) or other nearby on-street parking.]

[To see who attended and the games played, check out the entry in our Guilds games played].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone fancy playing Dune at the games day?

4-6 players is best to judge from the 'geek (I haven't played before).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
angelgabriel wrote:
Anyone fancy playing Dune at the games day?

4-6 players is best to judge from the 'geek (I haven't played before).

Sign me up for Dune - also never played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A "grail game" that I do not have, and it is based on the books and the amazing film (I have an "appreciation" of Francesca Annis blushwhistle).

Could be good. Lets look at the mechanics of the game; bluffing, that's fine; fighting yuk; negotiation gulp. Um, that's a "no" from me then....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
catty_ big
United Kingdom
London (sort of)
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jazzuu wrote:
I have an "appreciation" of Francesca Annis

Me too!

Sadly can't make this one- will be in Dublin at an SF con- or the next one- will be in Nottingham at another SF con- but will try to keep December clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rees
United Kingdom
Liss Forest
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be up for Dune, though not sure if can make it as there is a chance that Wales will be playing a Rugby World semi-final that morning, so may not be in Epsom on Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if Wales are not in a semi-final or they are but not playing on the Saturday we will see you at the games day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rees
United Kingdom
Liss Forest
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would hope so. Depends a bit on whether a semi-final weekend party is being planned, but if Wales go out before the Semi it probably won't happen. If I do make it, it would be after the final match of that day is over, which normally finish at around 11:30Am, so should get there soon after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iorwerth wrote:
I would be up for Dune, though not sure if can make it as there is a chance that Wales will be playing a Rugby World semi-final that morning, so may not be in Epsom on Saturday.

That's OK then - we'll see you at the games day. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Airfix Rules anyone?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
I think l will be able to make this one and would like a go at dune. Paul is a big fan of the game and also has the added advantage of having played it before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rees
United Kingdom
Liss Forest
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
Iorwerth wrote:

That's OK then - we'll see you at the games day. whistle

Wales will be there - just need to beat Fiji and then Ireland. Might even play England in the semi's if they can get their act together. Once Wales have beaten England then Wales just need to beat the All Blacks to win the cup. Done deal as far as I can see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Iorwerth wrote:
Wales will be there - just need to beat Fiji ... Ireland. ... England ... the All Blacks to win the cup

Have you been eating the mushrooms again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rees
United Kingdom
Liss Forest
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eat anything I can lay my hands on!

Only fixture of those I am worried about is Fiji. All the rest should be a piece of cake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Relf
United Kingdom
Bournemouth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I'll be there, and happy to play anything that hits the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Iorwerth wrote:
Wales will be there - just need to beat Fiji ... Ireland. ... England France ... the All Blacks to win the cup

Oh, no, the nightmare is coming true... gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rees
United Kingdom
Liss Forest
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a beautiful saturday morning that was - Wales through and England out!!

Come on Wales!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And how Australia managed to overcome the RSA is beyond me - great match though.

And the All Blacks were far from convincing - the final score flattered them.

Going to be interesting games to watch, that is for sure although I would rather have had Wales play Australia in the semi then beat France in the final!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be bringing the latest iteration of my oil game, which is getting close to the point that I want to let others outside EGC see it. Especially now I have nice components and properly-printed cards.

Can I persuade anyone to playtest it for me at some stage during Saturday?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still going to bring Dune, and would hope to start a game of this near the beginning of the day as it can apparently run quite long.

There's also interest in Battlestar Galactica, which I'll be bringing along too, and looking forward to playing.

Newcomers very welcome at both these games of course, there are always people new to every game we play, so we always teach the rules and we are always very friendly (I hope).

And I would like very much to try your game, Andrew, as I've been wanting to for some time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be up for Dune, but not Battlestar Gattica. I will see what is on offer (slut).

angelgabriel wrote:
And I would like very much to try your game, Andrew, as I've been wanting to for some time!

Great! I am into game-balancing now and looking for odd-ball players to stretch my checks and balances. We should have enough odd-balls at EGC to do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
geocentrix wrote:
I will be bringing the latest iteration of my oil game, which is getting close to the point that I want to let others outside EGC see it. Especially now I have nice components and properly-printed cards.

Can I persuade anyone to playtest it for me at some stage during Saturday?

Would like to give this a go too - perhaps post-Dune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
geocentrix wrote:
Can I persuade anyone to playtest [Brent Crude] during Saturday?

Would like to give this a go too - perhaps post-Dune

Great! We have three ... the game can handle 2-5. Post-Dune it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Airfix Rules anyone?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Post-Dune, I would also like to volunteer. Give you a wargamers perspective whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bond
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:
Post-Dune, I would also like to volunteer. Give you a wargamers perspective whistle

And I've just introduced a takeover rule that will suit your mindset...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Airfix Rules anyone?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You must think l am a warmongering git. Which is pretty accurate to be fair. Love the idea of helping a game develop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.