Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warp 4 Trek experience

Micro review as my spelling and grammar do let me down,
I wanted to express my feeling for this game as they developed,
Over the course of playing

At 1st I did not want to review this game , It didn’t blow me away I was on the fence, I commented on other peoples reviews and feel I came across find the game “meh” neither he nor there, lurching on the for sale list,

How every as for my title “warp 4”, this game is a slow burner, its come out quite regularly I’ve had it since release and its been so enjoyable each time!, becoming a go to solo game

Why do I like it now and what’s changed?

The mechanics are very simple, action points and keyword and dice system,
Yes it’s a little mathys most challenges have you count to 20 to 24 a lot, You add up your score from a roll of a dice and adding coloured crew cards, your click character score and key words, simples

Not so simple though, 1st the challenges are hidden , there are 3 main challenges to find and develop some challenges are timed and have cut off points, some challenges trap you until completed and might not be of your main power colour and give negative effects, but some are good as well if you have the time to complete them, and also there are scattered items to pick up which will benefit you or be needed for specific quests as well, Finally there are “beaming” technical difficulties and a very nasty superior Klingon war bird out to get you which you may need to skip the challenges for to get back to the enterprise to repair , so lots of lovely story themed nitty bitty bits keep the game spiced and interesting

Race:
What comes across well it’s the race against time! each turn you turn a card which gives you your number of actions, and weather time passes and time passing is brutal it really keeps the pressure on for a good score!

Threat:
And good threat is the Klingon ship, its came be a game ender but also if not delt with it will give you minus scores as it chased you away which might mean you efforts for dealing with the planets problems are for nothing,

Replay ability :
You can play with 1 to four characters, Kirk, Spock, Bones and Uhura,
I find playing with 3 is the sweet spot between hard and winnable, and give variety a s a key skill will be missed by dropping a character
X number of random missions, there are always 9 cards which remain the same the key story, but 6 of the cards will be different these will either be good or bad side quests and
do mix up the game, yes there will be remember able after a few plays but overcoming them is still a challenge each time,
And 3 levels of play, Blue to learn, yellow to cut your teeth on , and red to put you down nightmare mode!

Choices in the game:
Its good pull a game to have your choices matter, do you have the actions you need, do you feel lucky pulling the energize card you need, taking one extra step instead of repairing the enterprise, trying to win a challenge with out all your support, risking a Klingon beating, and hoping next turn will allow you to beam! Adding up to 23 instead of 24.. the maths brings you back to earth some times, but the lead up to the counting is fun,

Set-up and length:
Pros for me are if you have the urge, its open the box and play quickly and be just as quick to put away
The game is approx 45 mins long a good tv episode length of time, it does not drag or out stay its welcome,

I think what urged me to post this review was playing Elder sign, with out being to critical I’m more scared of the Klingons then Sleepy Cthulu, elder sign showed me that Star trek had a great theme integrated and a stiff challenge threat and pressure, elder is good and I’ll be reviewing its soon but it made me want to right wrongs I may have said about start trek in other comments 1st.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting. It's good to know some people are getting good, thematic replay value out of the game. Your review moves the game up a little on my buy-list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my 1st few games i was excited and my brain added theme, I over played a little I was trying the different levels one after another and began to see the maths underlying it. i gave it a little brake and my brain relaxed and really really enjoyed it again,
i like the movement on the planet, the exploring / uncovering, I like the retreat and fight back of the Klingon ship, i like the team up and resource swops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to see the game growing on people. I really like it and think it has tremendous potential for added scenarios, but I imagine that will only happen if there is a large enough call for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesc Sardà
Andorra
Lleida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigeeh wrote:
Thanks for posting. It's good to know some people are getting good, thematic replay value out of the game. Your review moves the game up a little on my buy-list.

In my opinion if you like LOrd of the Rings ( Knizia Coop ) this is a must buy.

The feelings are quite similar. Maybe the tension in Lord of the Rings is higher, but in Star Trek the pressure of the klingdons and the time passing are also important.

Two good different games, with the same father...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I have to ask about WHY does this appear as N/A under REVIEW Forums, instead of under its GAME description? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
I have to ask about WHY does this appear as N/A under REVIEW Forums, instead of under its GAME description? surprise

Klingon cloaking device.ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
GROGnads wrote:
Engoduun wrote:

Klingon cloaking device.ninja
shake FOR "Carcassonne" even!?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.