Subject: Is it just me or...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or is CC:M (2007) a poor quality than CC:E (second printing 2008)?
The aid cards are printed on thinner cardboard and even the rulebook are printed on thinner paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is. Pacific and the 2nd printing of Europe were produced with much higher quality. Sturdier rule/play books, better cardstock for the fate decks. My Brit counters in Med were even printed off-center.

I will most certainly double dip if a 2nd printing of Med ever happens, that is of course if it matches the standards of the aforementioned games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is. I wouldn't even take the Fate cards for Med out of their packages until I had card protectors. And then it was immediately into card sleeves before I even LOOKED at the cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is somewhat unrelated but the same goes for the first (and as for now only) printing of Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division. Wasn't impressed with the quality at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I never noticed anything. I'm always too busy PLAYING the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Martin
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgoneion wrote:
It is somewhat unrelated but the same goes for the first (and as for now only) printing of Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division. Wasn't impressed with the quality at all.

I have no complaints with the quality of Fighting Formations. I thought it was up to GMT's usual high quality. I also like the card thickness of CC:M. They feel like real playing cards, and are easy to shuffle. The cards that come with Europe & Pacific seem to be much thicker than they need to be. Makes shuffling a pain. I would love to be able to upgrade my Pacific and Europe cards to Mediterranean quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stacey Hager
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They may be easier to shuffle, but they are way more fragile. Without sleeves, I shudder to think how long they would last. If your cards wear out, then you are out a whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Emch
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
I AM PLING!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Stacey, at the rate that you actually get this game on the table, sleeving your cards is a bit like wearing a sleeve on the off chance you MIGHT see some action whilst attending a funeral.
snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Malacandra said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Martin
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shager wrote:
They may be easier to shuffle, but they are way more fragile. Without sleeves, I shudder to think how long they would last. If your cards wear out, then you are out a whole game.

I've had decks of playing cards last for decades, so I'm not too worried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:

Tell us the truth, you work for GMT, right?

I wasn't impressed because I was stunned by other products such as CC:E which I think is at the apex of game production values I ever seen in a wargame. It makes me want to play even if the gameplay was shit.

That is why I was disappointed with FF, even if is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgoneion wrote:
Malacandra wrote:

Tell us the truth, you work for GMT, right?

I wasn't impressed because I was stunned by other products such as CC:E which I think is at the apex of game production values I ever seen in a wargame. It makes me want to play even if the gameplay was shit.

That is why I was disappointed with FF, even if is a great game.

I honestly don't think there's a thing wrong with FF's components. I even got one of the marked "dead spider" cards and in all the games we've played, we've only noticed it, oh, about...ZERO times.

My CC cards are the stiffer ones and, personally, I prefer the older CC:E ones. But they do work better for flinging across the table when you lose a melee and have to attack your opponent for real.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a question of first impressions then, I guess.

Noprob with that, GMT I love you all the same!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:

My CC cards are the stiffer ones and, personally, I prefer the older CC:E ones. But they do work better for flinging across the table when you lose a melee and have to attack your opponent for real.

lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Airfix Rules anyone?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgoneion wrote:

A couple of my maps that have just been looked at have tiny tears in them. Not a biggie just not very impressive. I've no beef with GMT because they have excellent customer service. If I played the game more often I might ask for replacements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone dalla Chiesa
Italy
Cassina de' Pecchi
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Malacandra wrote:

I do that all the time. That's why I sharpen them edges. Ask my opponents (the suvivors, anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards in my copy of Up Front are faded and worn from two decades of use and I love it that way. It reminds me how much I love the game. And it's not going to bother me at all that the cards for my new favorite game system wear and tear as the plays accumulate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
I honestly don't think there's a thing wrong with FF's components. I even got one of the marked "dead spider" cards

I'm not observant enough to spot differences in cardstock and suchlike and am usually too busy cursing the Gods of Order Distribution, but from a purely logical point of view how can you claim there's nothing wrong with FF components and then in the next sentence explain that you received one of the marked cards?

A marked card being something wrong with the components, surely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
from a purely logical point of view how can you claim there's nothing wrong with FF components and then in the next sentence explain that you received one of the marked cards?

A marked card being something wrong with the components, surely?

If you don't notice the difference, then practically speaking it's not wrong.

I.e. in every game with cards, all card backs are marked/distinguishable if you look closely enough, but you normally wouldn't say they are wrong as a result. I.e. it's a continuum. Card backs are not either "all identical" or "all easily distinguishable".

FWIW I've played a half dozen times and I also haven't noticed the defective card back during play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

I.e. in every game with cards, all card backs are marked/distinguishable if you look closely enough, but you normally wouldn't say they are wrong as a result. I.e. it's a continuum. Card backs are not either "all identical" or "all easily distinguishable".

FWIW I've played a half dozen times and I also haven't noticed the defective card back during play.

I have a feeling we're teetering on the edge of a BGG 'pedantry precipice' so I will try and tread verrrrrrry carefully but surely if it wasn't designed and was a printer error that led to marked cards then it's still an error?

I should caveat this with the required 'I love GMT, they are my favourite game manufacturer, CC is my favourite game, everyone chillout before we have a flame war, I should have known better etc.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:
I have a feeling we're teetering on the edge of a BGG 'pedantry precipice'

Heh!
I'm amazed that google finds no results for "pedantry precipice". I like that expression!

Quote:
so I will try and tread verrrrrrry carefully but surely if it wasn't designed and was a printer error that led to marked cards then it's still an error?

Agreed.

But technically all card backs in all games have printing errors - it's just a question of how noticeable they are, which is a subjective continuum kind of thing. So in the context of card backs, printing errors may not be worth talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Quote:
so I will try and tread verrrrrrry carefully but surely if it wasn't designed and was a printer error that led to marked cards then it's still an error?

Agreed.

But technically all card backs in all games have printing errors - it's just a question of how noticeable they are, which is a subjective continuum kind of thing. So in the context of card backs, printing errors may not be worth talking about.

Ok lovely, well explained, case closed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

A couple of my maps that have just been looked at have tiny tears in them.

Well, that explains it.
They're not made to just be looked at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

So this is like the tree thing?
If a tree falls in the woods and no one sees it fall, it hasn't?

If you've lost your trailer with all you CC games in it, but you haven't notice, you have not lost it?

So if I wrote this reply, but you have not read it, I have not written it.shake
Oh dear, I'm starting to confuse myself now....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I've been playing wargames for nearly forty years and was blown away by the incredibly high quality of cc:e. As a gun owner, I told my wife I couldn't relate to people bewitched by the beauty of their weapons, but when I saw cc:e I told her I could see how someone could truly love the fine care and craftsmanship put into most any product.

I was consequently majorly bummed by the quality of the cards in cc:m, as well as the box itself and a few other components. Sleeved, the cards make a pile less than 2/3 that of cc:e. I would hope GMT would offer an upgraded replacement deck from their website, but I haven't seen one offered so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.