Popular Tags: [View All]
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Profiteer All/Intermediate/Optional

Gains Different Rewards

You have the power of Acquisition. When you are to receive cards from the deck, Lucre from the bank, or ships from the warp, you may use this power to take one of the other options instead. 2 Lucre is exchanged for a card or ship. For example, instead of retrieving one ship from the warp you may take a card from the deck or two Lucre from the bank. Instead of taking 4 cards as defensive rewards, you can take 8 Lucre from the bank. Instead of receiving 8 Lucre as income, take 4 cards from the deck or release four ships from the warp.

HISTORY: The Profiteers take what they need, not what others think they should have. They determine their own paths.

Use Only In Games With Lucre

FLARE

All
Wild: When you lose ships to the warp you may discard cards instead of an equal number and return your ships to colonies. When you are to lose cards for any reason except getting a new hand, you may instead lose an equal number of ships to the warp.

All
Super: Gain all three options when you gain any one.

COMMENTARY: This is a resource power learned from I don’t know where or when. I saw it on the internet years ago called Gain, liked it, and saved it for whenever I got around to doing a Power of the Day posting for it and/or add it to my set. The History and Flare are mine. The power doesn’t have to be a Lucre power if you’re ok with just having an exchange between ships and cards. If you use Eon Lucre rules Lucre exchange is a one-for-one basis. The original power allowed for the exchange even when getting stuff from other players. It made the distinction you could only get your ships from other players or from their star discs (original Eon wording) to trade in deals as per Assessor. I figured that added unnecessary complexity and strength to the power, so I took that out.

I see a bug in the power. As defensive player you have no encounter cards and must get a new hand. You can use the power to retrieve 8 ships from the warp. You still have no encounter cards so must get a new hand. You can use the power to get 16 Lucre from the bank. You still have no encounter cards so must get a new hand. Take more Lucre and continue ad infinitum. There’s no infinite loop as offensive player. You can get 8 ships or 16 Lucre once, but now your turn has officially begun. You are out of encounter cards. Your turn ends. Adding “except for getting a new hand” to the power solves the problem, but that infringes a bit on the point of the power. Anyone have a better solution?

Gerald Katz
Don’t forget to tip the Butler!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I like this one.

If using Eon lucre rules, I don't think it needs the 2-lucre conversion rule. It could also be written as a non-lucre power entirely.

Re/ the bug you mentioned, maybe it should just limit the card converting part to "whenever you would gain cards as a defensive ally reward". Oh, and that gives me the idea to allow using it in lieu of collecting compensation also.

For clarity, it might be better to write it as separate abilities, something like this (this would obviously be the non-lucre variant):

Quote:
When you are able to get a ship from the Warp, you may use this power to draw a card from the deck instead, provided you can place at least one ship in the Gate if it is your turn.

When you are able to gain a card as a defensive ally or through compensation, you may use this power to take a ship from the Warp instead.

However, the idea I got from this power is that the Lucre rules could be written in a similar way. If FFG ever makes lucre, the rule could be that you can forego a card draw and/or ship recovery to get lucre. That way, powers don't have to specifically include lucre options. Aliens like Ghoul, Glutton, and Remora therefore become Lucre aliens, without rewording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!

I don't think there's any problem with adding "...except when drawing a new hand" to the power.

At first I thought that the 2 lucre for a card or ship was kind of a waste, but since it works both ways, it's great! So you receive your lucre income directly as cards or ships - which is more than you would have been able to purchase normally.

What does the Wild Flare do when another player is entitled to cards from your hand? You lose ships and they get nothing? It seems the other player should at least get something (like cards from the deck instead?). Or maybe if you have to give those cards to another player, you must lose twice as many ships, and they get nothing - so you have an additional loss for them losing the gain they would otherwise get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Very nice!

I don't think there's any problem with adding "...except when drawing a new hand" to the power.

At first I thought that the 2 lucre for a card or ship was kind of a waste, but since it works both ways, it's great! So you receive your lucre income directly as cards or ships - which is more than you would have been able to purchase normally.

What does the Wild Flare do when another player is entitled to cards from your hand? You lose ships and they get nothing? It seems the other player should at least get something (like cards from the deck instead?). Or maybe if you have to give those cards to another player, you must lose twice as many ships, and they get nothing - so you have an additional loss for them losing the gain they would otherwise get.

Yes, the player gets nothing when you use the Wild Flare. That was my purposeful intent. The cost is you are losing ships to the warp. Zombie would really like that Flare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubric wrote:

I like this one.

If using Eon lucre rules, I don't think it needs the 2-lucre conversion rule. It could also be written as a non-lucre power entirely.

Re/ the bug you mentioned, maybe it should just limit the card converting part to "whenever you would gain cards as a defensive ally reward". Oh, and that gives me the idea to allow using it in lieu of collecting compensation also.

For clarity, it might be better to write it as separate abilities, something like this (this would obviously be the non-lucre variant):

Quote:
When you are able to get a ship from the Warp, you may use this power to draw a card from the deck instead, provided you can place at least one ship in the Gate if it is your turn.

When you are able to gain a card as a defensive ally or through compensation, you may use this power to take a ship from the Warp instead.

However, the idea I got from this power is that the Lucre rules could be written in a similar way. If FFG ever makes lucre, the rule could be that you can forego a card draw and/or ship recovery to get lucre. That way, powers don't have to specifically include lucre options. Aliens like Ghoul, Glutton, and Remora therefore become Lucre aliens, without rewording.

That could work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hadsil wrote:
Phil Fleischmann wrote:

Yes, the player gets nothing when you use the Wild Flare. That was my purposeful intent. The cost is you are losing ships to the warp. Zombie would really like that Flare.

Well, that's actually *less* of a cost than the cards he was going to lose (if it wasn't, he wouldn't play the flare). So not only is the player saving the cards he wants more than the ships, but the opponent who was due compensation (or something like it) gets nothing! That seems pretty strong! A player with this Wild Flare is essentially immune to all compensation, the Finder, Trader, Barbarian, Mite, Hate, Ethic, part of Magician, part of Mutant, part of Sniveler, part of Plague, etc., as long as he has ships to spare. Which also means it's impossible to get this flare out of his hand!

Not only does Zombie love this flare, but so does Glutton, Remora, Symbiote, Masochist, Vacuum, etc. And the Warpish and Healer love it in anybody's hand!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's self limiting. There are only so many ships you can put in the warp. How many ships you can bare to have in the warp? That is up to the individual.

Symbiote can last a bit longer than others. If anyone wants the card more than Zombie it is Masochist, though Genius says hello.

I'm not bothered that many powers like the card. People will be hunting for a Card Zap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hadsil wrote:
I'm not bothered that many powers like the card. People will be hunting for a Card Zap.

Which won't do any good. He just sacrifices a ship instead and keeps the flare.

AFAIK, this is the only flare that gives an ability that prevents itself from being taken away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
AFAIK, this is the only flare that gives an ability that prevents itself from being taken away.

I think there's only one:

Wild Miser: When you draw a new hand or another player takes compensation from you, you may place this card and two others facedown in front of you until afterwards. If compensation is being taken from you, the facedown cards may not be taken. If drawing a new hand, you receive a full hand in addition to the facedown cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Katz
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
hadsil wrote:

Which won't do any good. He just sacrifices a ship instead and keeps the flare.

No. The Card Zap stops the play of the flare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.