Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to see if there is any interest in any game designers living in or around Toronto (Canada) to get together once a month down at Snakes & Lattes on Bloor St.?

Hopefully we could discuss the games we are making, go over rules, artwork, share ideas for production, get in some good play testing...

My apologies is there is already a guild for this or a group that already does this If so, please let me know, I am hungry to discuss game design with other active local designers (in person)!

FYI, I am going to cross post this in the Ontario Forum and will link to that in an edit...
edit:
FYI I just cross posted this in the Ontario Forum

thanks!
Stephen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Maher
Canada
Collingwood
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Stephen,

Nice to meet you! I am looking for exactly the same sort of thing.

I'm not in TO (I'm in Collingwood) but it's not too far away to consider a one-a-month get together. Send me a message if you would like to work out some details!

Ken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Ken that sounds great! It is rather far for you though... hopefully there is more interest and we can get a bigger group going.

I talked to Snakes & Lattes and they said that there might be room for monday nights.

We'll discuss more in a few days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
You know, I just moved to the Toronto area (Mississauga, specifically.) I've heard stories about this Snakes and Lattes place (my wife and I are both interested in checking it out "some day"), and I do enjoy designing games in my spare time.

This sounds like a good opportunity to meet gamers in the Toronto area, bounce around design ideas AND have a tasty latte or two, so I'll definitely be keeping tabs on this thread. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Stephen, awesome! Snakes and Latte's really is incredible (and they serve beer). They are in the process of taking over the space next door to expand, hopefully this will mean you can actually get a table without the entire place being booked full.

I hope we can generate more interest in a game designers night, anyone have any suggestions on how to get the word out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stephen,
Have posted to some board game meet-up groups for your area? I organized a design group about 2 years ago. People find out about the club in a whole bunch of ways. More from Meet-up than from the geek. Most of the designers in the club do not frequent the geek. You need to always keep promoting too.

Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Philip Migas
www.bogadap.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also check out people on http://www.tabsonline.net/ if you are not familiar with it. Its a local Toronto Gaming group with regular meet ups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TABS looks awesome. Definitely advertise your group with TABS. But, I would recommend keeping design meeting separate from TABS meetings. Designers need a forum where they can talk about game designs and industry issues that many casual games are not interested in. But then when games are good, definitely take them to TABS meetings for playtests. I have kept the Design group separate from my local club Boardgamers of Greater Akron, just for these reasons. It has worked out well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
damian isherwood
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea I just mentioned TABS because I know there are people (myself included) that like to design. Now I've not seen a lot of conversation on the topic but I think there could be a thread developed within the forums for that specific purpose, also I figured most users are fairly local and those interested in the design side would more likely be available to meet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
pmigas wrote:
Stephen,
Have posted to some board game meet-up groups for your area? I organized a design group about 2 years ago. People find out about the club in a whole bunch of ways. More from Meet-up than from the geek. Most of the designers in the club do not frequent the geek. You need to always keep promoting too.

Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Philip Migas
www.bogadap.com

Hi Philip, thanks for the support. I am going to take a deep look through your site after I respond to a few geek threads! I'm happy to see this can work. I know that the chances of getting people through the geek are slim, but it's a starting point!
thx,
s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Warbringerd wrote:
Yea I just mentioned TABS because I know there are people (myself included) that like to design. Now I've not seen a lot of conversation on the topic but I think there could be a thread developed within the forums for that specific purpose, also I figured most users are fairly local and those interested in the design side would more likely be available to meet.

Damian, Philip,
Thanks for the TABS link. I was hesitant to go that route because I thought it was just gaming, not designing, but if you think there could be a place for a forum thread like that then I will definitely post there!
thx,
s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Hey, we are having another conversation about this in the Ontario forum.

So far we have at least 6 interested people from BGG, and hopefully more locally when we figure out a night!

We should probably continue any discussions over in the other thread now... Toronto Area Game Designers - Monthly Meet Up?.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Time to polish up those prototypes, clean up those rules and get ready for some serious play testing!

Snakes & Lattes (600 Bloor Street West, Toronto) is excited to host a monthly game designers night, starting 7pm Monday Nov. 21st.

It's the perfect chance to get those games out of your house and into the hands of other local designers.

Play test, hash out rules, explore design and share production and fabrication techniques.

A friendly workshop with useful and honest feedback for designers of any level.

Our goal is to work together to get our games out of the idea stage and into reality!

Follow this event on Snakes & Lattes Facebook page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Just a reminder to all, this coming monday is the first night at Snakes & Lattes, 600 Bloor St. W. Toronto. 7pm-10pm (or later)

I updated the FB Event page and outlined a rough structure for the evening (along with a few suggestions).

Check it out here...
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=132719620166001

Look forward to seeing everyone!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so jealous. Stupid Detroit. We got jack.

Have fun!

Also, your city is awesome. Saw Billy Elliot there last winter. Fantastic weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.