Hide
6 Posts

Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: [Co-op] Joining in an adventure in progress rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bubba Arazi
msg tools
Let's say I'm in a cooperative game, and another character is in an adventure. They blew their role, and are now faced with a cliffhanger on their next turn. On my turn, I move onto the same space my friend is on. Do I get to join in on the adventure immediately by attempting the cliffhanger? Would I draw a separate Danger of my own and then decide which of us will attempt it? Or is is only possible for two heroes to jointly attempt an adventure if they begin it on the same turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bracken Rawlings
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that to adventure with another player you must do so before your first adventure/danger card is drawn. Since the other player is already in the middle of an adventure/danger/cliffhanger card they would have to finish it alone then decide if they would continue alone or start anew with some help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba Arazi
msg tools
Is this the consensus among other players? Do you think adventuring with another player should be limited to when both players start the adventure at the same time? Or should another player be able to join in on an adventure in progress?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an excellent question. Since most of the rules seem to lean toward doing what makes sense thematically, I would say another player could join his teammate after he has already completed one or more Dangers. But I wouldn't allow a teammate to join you on a Cliffhanger you started alone the previous turn.

Think of it this way. You start an adventure by yourself. You attempt to board a U-boat, but get into a fight instead. Is your buddy just going to appear on the U-boat next turn and help beat the bad guys? No. It's more realistic that, after fighting your way off the U-boat, you bump into your buddy and you continue the adventure together.

In terms of game mechanics, this poses a problem. If you buddy joins you at the same adventure, he is before you in turn order and you are stuck at a Cliffhanger, what should he do during his Adventure phase? Should he draw his own Danger card, or join you at your Cliffhanger?

That's a tough call. But, since each Danger/Cliffhanger is like a mini-adventure in its own setting, if you start it by yourself, you finish it yourself. That's my take on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fivepast
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
In terms of game mechanics, this poses a problem. If you buddy joins you at the same adventure, he is before you in turn order and you are stuck at a Cliffhanger, what should he do during his Adventure phase? Should he draw his own Danger card, or join you at your Cliffhanger?

I'd say he waits for you to finish your cliffhanger. If you pass it and press on, you both deal with the next danger. If you fail your cliffhanger, your buddy carries on without you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole Adventuring together process was a little confusing to me, so I emailed Flying Frog. Here's Mary Beth's responses:

1) When multiple players overcome the danger, only 1 danger marker is collected for the group, correct?

Correct.

2) When one player chooses to camp down, and another presses on, what happens with the Danger Markers, Glory and Healing?

When one player camps down, they get everything they usually get, the get all the glory they have accumulated, they heal, and danger markers stay until both people move away.  They are now out of the danger and their partner must go on alone until they choose to camp down as well.  If the partner presses on a fails and it goes to cliffhanger, they will, like usual, lose all the glory they would have accumulated, and end their turn. If their partner stays and does not move away, they may help them with the cliffhanger next turn.   Only when one or more people fail a cliffhanger will all danger markers get removed and they will be KOed, fully heal, be returned to their home city, and then be up again next turn to start on the danger again.

3) For Coop, can you join Adventures in progress? Lets say a single person goes on an adventure and ends up in a cliffhanger. On the next turn, can a second person move to their location so that they will attempt the Cliffhanger together, facing the adventure now as a group?

...yes, a team member can join a danger when it is in a cliffhanger to help out the person doing the cliffhanger.  Once passed, they will do the rest of the dangers together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.