Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I have been wanting to start a thread about this for a while, but wasn't sure I had enough material or ideas to make it worth while. With the release of the Arkham Horror: The Curse of the Dark Pharaoh Expansion (Revised Edition) and Arkham Horror: Miskatonic Horror Expansion, some may be wondering where (if anywhere) FFG will take their beloved Arkham series in the future. I just saw this thread a little while ago: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/679315/ancient-old-ones-... and it renewed my interest of atempting to stimulate some discussion about potential expansions or new elements based on Lovecraft stories. I know speculation of where the series may go in the future has already been talked about in previous threads, but perhaps not about this specific topic. I'm nowhere close to being a game designer and I'm hoping some of you with more of an imagination will share some ideas of new mechanics, characters/monsters, etc... I understand that there may not be many new variations to gameplay that haven't already been done, but I have listed below some stories that I think would make good expansions (large or small). It's only been a few years since I aquired Arkham Horror and some of the expansions, so I don't really consider myself much of an expert like
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

or some others I've seen here. I have had several plays of the base game and most of the expansions with my group and have read a lot of Lovecraft's short stories and novellas. Let's see where this can go!

The first story that comes to mine is "The Whisperer in Darkness". Henry Akeley's farm is about the only location told of to much extent, so I'm not sure that it would fit into a big-box set up. I think a lot of flavor text could go into the encounter cards and new monster tokens could be added for the crab-like aliens who mimiked humans, both in form and voice.

Another story I had in mind is "The Colour Out of Space". Again, outside of the hills west of Arkham and the "blasted heath", there would not be enough locations for separate board. In addition to flavor text and the theme, perhpas Ammi Pierce and Nahum Gardner could be made into an allies.

"Pickman's Model" is another that comes to mind. Though the story is only eleven pages long, perhaps there are enough locations illustrated to make up a separate board. I envision encounters happening at places like Elliot's house, Copp's Hill Burying Ground (nothing bad can happen here, can it?), the subway and the cellars. I also see new monster markers resembling the scurrying, "dog-things" and even a playing piece in the form of something like a Guardian in Arkham Horror: Kingsport Horror Expansion to represent Pickman before he disappears. Who knows, maybe in an Other World, or in an Arkham location, an investigator would make a sanity roll to see if he/she is effected by one of the scary paintings...

Here is a link a friend sent to me through GeekMail of a PnP mini expansion based on "At the Mountains of Madness": http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/384202/at-the-mountains-of-m.... I have given these files to a friend who owns a film development and graphic design company. He's printing the cards, playing pieces and the additional board to fit the original board. I hope I get it back in time to play it with the guys on a cold, snowy day.

I realize that I can dream about new Arkham things until I become LiT&S, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had similar visions while searching for Unknown Kadath in the Dreamlands. Get out your silver keys and share some ideas!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vito 1 wrote:
The first story that comes to mine is "The Whisperer in Darkness". Henry Akeley's farm is about the only location told of to much extent, so I'm not sure that it would fit into a big-box set up. I think a lot of flavor text could go into the encounter cards and new monster tokens could be added for the crab-like aliens who mimiked humans, both in form and voice.

You want this.

Vito 1 wrote:
Another story I had in mind is "The Colour Out of Space". Again, outside of the hills west of Arkham and the "blasted heath", there would not be enough locations for separate board. In addition to flavor text and the theme, perhpas Ammi Pierce and Nahum Gardner could be made into an allies.

IIRC, Blasted Heath and Gardner Place are on the Dunwich Horror board and Ammi Pierce is an Ally in Dunwich Horror. A scenario to highlight them and the Colour Out Of Space monsters might be in order.

Vito 1 wrote:
"Pickman's Model" is another that comes to mind. Though the story is only eleven pages long, perhaps there are enough locations illustrated to make up a separate board. I envision encounters happening at places like Elliot's house, Copp's Hill Burying Ground (nothing bad can happen here, can it?), the subway and the cellars. I also see new monster markers resembling the scurrying, "dog-things" and even a playing piece in the form of something like a Guardian in Arkham Horror: Kingsport Horror Expansion to represent Pickman before he disappears. Who knows, maybe in an Other World, or in an Arkham location, an investigator would make a sanity roll to see if he/she is effected by one of the scary paintings...

Especially given his role in the story "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath", a Richard Upton Pickman Guardian is an excellent notion.

Vito 1 wrote:
Here is a link a friend sent to me through GeekMail of a PnP mini expansion based on "At the Mountains of Madness": http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/384202/at-the-mountains-of-m.... I have given these files to a friend who owns a film development and graphic design company. He's printing the cards, playing pieces and the additional board to fit the original board. I hope I get it back in time to play it with the guys on a cold, snowy day.

I myself would like to see an "Arkham Expeditions" big box expansion that dealt with Antarctica ("At the Mountains of Madness"), the Australian Outback ("The Shadow Out of Time"), the Arabian desert (Irem, City of Pillars), the forested mountains of Transylvania ("The Black Stone"), the praries of Oklahoma ("The Mound"), and the many other exotic, remote locales featured in the stories of HPL and his circle.

Players could have Arkham Encounters which would invite them to depart on an expedition to some remote location. There would be a timing mechanism involved and they would need to be at the Expedition's departure location - the Train Station or the River Docks - before the timer runs out or be left behind. It would use a greatly expanded version of the "voyage" encounters while the players travelled to the exepedition location.

The expeditions themselves might be AO/Investigator sized card-stock sheets, perhaps with locations on them. Alternatively, include six double-sided 11"x11" board sections (same number of sections as original board, but separate), for 12 expedition destinations. Each would have an Otherworld associated with it (e.g. Plateau of Leng for Antarctica). If the players succesfully concluded the expedition, the associated OW would be sealed, rather than an Arkham location, meaning that gates of that OW which opened in Arkham would instead be discarded back to the gate deck. Haven't thought it all the way through, but that's the gist of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not keen on the idea of investigators traveling the world to get into adventures.

The big issue that I have is time. There is no set time scale in AH. However, I can picture a game covering a few weeks to a month of time. It would take adventurers that long just to get somewhere in the 20-30's.

As separate, AH related mini-games, other settings would be interesting, but I am not sold on the idea of them being expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Cromer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
devil

It seemes to me that Arkham Horror has run its course. Its a fantastic game as it is. The expansions have taken the game where no other game has gone. With that said, theres Mansions of Madness and Elder Sign.
Also Call of Cthulhu, the card game and paperback books. Theres also Call of Cthulhu, the role-playing game. I have the Mountains of Madness gaming book which would take you all year to playout. Theres more H.P. lovecraft going on now than ever before. The man would have been proud.
There is also a great video game thats been out for awhile called, you guessed it. Call of Cthulhu, Dark Corners of the Earth. Its focus is the town of Innsmouth and Dagon. There are several great videos out on Lovecraft Mythos that dwell on the Dunwich Horror, Dagon, The Nameless one, Herbert West, and the Necronomicon. If I haven`t driven you insane by now then your dead. The real sad part to this is H.P. never got to enjoy his own works. Its true. He died young and broke. One mans ideals has reshaped the insane world we live in. There are monsters under my bed and in my closet. Good gaming to all. Freebird out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bill_andel wrote:
You want this.

Thanks for the link. I'll read through it when I have some more time.

Quote:
IIRC, Blasted Heath and Gardner Place are on the Dunwich Horror board and Ammi Pierce is an Ally in Dunwich Horror. A scenario to highlight them and the Colour Out Of Space monsters might be in order.

Arkham Horror: Dunwich Horror Expansion is the only big-box expansion I don't have that includes another town. I'm glad to know Gardner and Ammi are a part of it.

Quote:
I myself would like to see an "Arkham Expeditions" big box expansion that dealt with Antarctica ("At the Mountains of Madness"), the Australian Outback ("The Shadow Out of Time"), the Arabian desert (Irem, City of Pillars), the forested mountains of Transylvania ("The Black Stone"), the praries of Oklahoma ("The Mound"), and the many other exotic, remote locales featured in the stories of HPL and his circle.

Players could have Arkham Encounters which would invite them to depart on an expedition to some remote location. There would be a timing mechanism involved and they would need to be at the Expedition's departure location - the Train Station or the River Docks - before the timer runs out or be left behind. It would use a greatly expanded version of the "voyage" encounters while the players travelled to the exepedition location.

The expeditions themselves might be AO/Investigator sized card-stock sheets, perhaps with locations on them. Alternatively, include six double-sided 11"x11" board sections (same number of sections as original board, but separate), for 12 expedition destinations. Each would have an Otherworld associated with it (e.g. Plateau of Leng for Antarctica). If the players succesfully concluded the expedition, the associated OW would be sealed, rather than an Arkham location, meaning that gates of that OW which opened in Arkham would instead be discarded back to the gate deck. Haven't thought it all the way through, but that's the gist of it.

I love the idea of combining the above mentioned expedition locations for investigators to go on, kind of like the "Mountains of Madness" mini expansion. Especially in a full game, this would spread 8 players out a bit. Being invited on expeditions through Arkham encounters would randomize which investigators could choose to go. I like the idea of having the gate to the O.W. associated with the expedition closed and sealed once the expedition is finished. Would these sealed gates fall victim to Gate Bursts?

Thanks for your input, this is just what I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Freebird1956 wrote:
devil

It seemes to me that Arkham Horror has run its course. Its a fantastic game as it is. The expansions have taken the game where no other game has gone. With that said, theres Mansions of Madness and Elder Sign.
Also Call of Cthulhu, the card game and paperback books. Theres also Call of Cthulhu, the role-playing game. I have the Mountains of Madness gaming book which would take you all year to playout. Theres more H.P. lovecraft going on now than ever before. The man would have been proud.
There is also a great video game thats been out for awhile called, you guessed it. Call of Cthulhu, Four corners of the earth. Its focus is the town of Innsmouth and Dagon. There are several great videos out on Lovecraft Mythos that dwell on the Dunwich Horror, Dagon, The Nameless one, Herbert West, and the Necronomicon. If I haven`t driven you insane by now then your dead. The real sad part to this is H.P. never got to enjoy his own works. Its true. He died young and broke. One mans ideals has reshaped the insane world we live in. There are monsters under my bed and in my closet. Good gaming to all. Freebird out.

I agree that there may not many new directions the series can go, FFG has been milking it for almost seven years now. I've played the Call of Cthulhu RPG and have one of the books that goes with it. I have also played a couple of scenerios of Mansions of Madness. I knew about the video game, but have never seen it.

I have heard that Lovecraft died virtually unknown and destitute. If only he could have known that he influenced authors like Stephen King and even inspired one of Metallica's songs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Cromer
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
devil

I noticed that I put four instead of dark corners of the earth. Sorry about that. I`m still working my way thru the Arkham Horror expansions.
Do not see a need for more expansions at this time or in the seeable future. I did however get Graham McNeill`s Ghouls of the Miskatonic, Book One of the Dark Waters Trilogy. Great backstory for the investigators in Arkham Horror. See you in the Asylum.

Freebird out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a "standalone" expansion exploring horrors outside of Arkham, which could still use some elements of the base game (investigators, equipment, spells and monsters) would be quite interesting.

Perhaps Arkham Horror with a modular board and different scenarios available to the players. Or even a double-sided board.

There's no shortage of source material, obviously; leaving the confines of Arkham would offer a great wealth of storytelling opportunities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never thought about a double-sided or modular board, but think it would be a great idea.

For sure, there's no shortage of material!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an excellent fan-made 'Whisperer' expansion called "The Vermont Horror". As for other possible locations I'd like to see 'The Lurking Fear' - you'd have places like the Martense Mansion, the Squatters Village, Tempest Mountain, or the tunnels beneath the mounds; all places ripe for spooky Encounter cards...

My #1 Arkham wish is for another series of League Scenarios (well, my real #1 Arkham wish is for the monster tokens to never get frayed)
I love the Scenarios cause they're simple variants that really bring variety to the game.

#2 I wish the Miskatonic components were sold separately so I could just buy the new Cult Encounters deck, Innsmouth Look cards, etc piecemeal without plunking down $50

#3 More Small-Box expansions!

#4 A smaller Arkham main board- you could fit everything into half the square inches without sacrificing artwork...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
I think a "standalone" expansion exploring horrors outside of Arkham, which could still use some elements of the base game (investigators, equipment, spells and monsters) would be quite interesting.

Perhaps Arkham Horror with a modular board and different scenarios available to the players. Or even a double-sided board.

There's no shortage of source material, obviously; leaving the confines of Arkham would offer a great wealth of storytelling opportunities.

I like this idea- maybe a map the size of an expansion board with a dozen locations.... Coud make it a mini scenario, a shorter game where you only have to seal 3 Gates or kill certain monsters, perhaps as part of a larger campaign....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Parsons
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bill and Bob for telling me about "The Vermont Horror". I just read through the review and saw Hal Eccles debut thread. The board and rule book look great, but for some reason, I couldn't get the other files to open for me. Has he posted links to the files somewhere else? Once my friend gets my "At the Mountains of Madness" PnP expansion done, I might see if he's up to doing one more. IMO, "The Whisperer in Darkness" is one of H.P.L.'s creepier stories...there's something about aliens who try to resemble humans that creeps me out.

I'd like to see more small-box expansions too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.