Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello , played my 1st chaotic session yesterday and we have loads of questions..

1. For making my wonder , can i borrow / buy the resource from my neighbor or do I need to have the resources with myself to make my wonder?

2. Handling Miliatry Conflicts -> Any given player can only have 2 military conflicts during any turn ?

If A , B , C , D are playing in a straight line , B will have military conflict with A & C , after that C will have military conflict with D only ?

3. Tavern Card which gives 5 Coins

How exactly do you play this card and get 5 coins ? Supposing I get the card during my turn I get 5 coins from bank ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1. You can use the resources of your neighbors like everything else. But you don't borrow them, you pay for them. And you can only use what they produce on Brown or Gray, not Yellow or other wonder parts.

2. Correct. You will either win lose, or tie in 2 battles each turn.

3. As soon as you play it, you get 5 coins. That's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
1) You can buy resources from your 2 neighbours if you do not have the resources yourself. They cost 2 coins each.

2) Each player will have 2 military conflicts at the end of each Age and there are 3 Ages in the game. The conflicts occur with your 2 neighours.

3) You play the Tavern during your turn and collect 5 coins from the bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gleb Semenjuk
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You can buy them for 2gold/resource.
2. Yes, 2 conflicts per age. If A B C D playing, then C will fight B and D. D will fight C and A.
3. Exactly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow that was fast .Thank You brian , Keng & Gleb

Now I have already asked this in another thread , but I will do so again..

"You play the Tavern during your turn and collect 5 coins from the bank. "

How exactly do you PLAY this tavern card ? If I get Tavern during 2nd hand ..

1. By playing Tavern means , in 2nd turn itself , I can get money from bank for getting the card
2. By Playing Tavern means , in 2nd turn I accept the card , 3rd round , 3rd action PLUS I get money from bank
3. By Playing Tavern means , in 2nd turn I accept the card , 3rd round - no 3rd action BUT get money from bank.

I am also under the impression you can use tavern once

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PenumbraPenguin
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each time you choose a card, you can play it, use it for your wonder, or discard it for three coins. If you choose the first option, you place the card face up in front of you. When you do this with the Tavern, you take 5 coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
prashantmaheshwari wrote:
How exactly do you PLAY this tavern card ? If I get Tavern during 2nd hand ..

1. By playing Tavern means , in 2nd turn itself , I can get money from bank for getting the card

I am also under the impression you can use tavern once
This is correct. You play the Tavern in front of you like you would play any other card, and when you do you immediately take 5 coins from the bank.

It does not allow you to take additional coins on later turns or in later ages, and it provides no other direct benefits. (It is of course a yellow card, so it will still increase the value of other cards that give you coins or points based on the total number of yellow cards you've played.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
prashant Maheshwari
India
Mumbai
Mahrashtra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank You guys clear this is !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another newbie question:
4. I know that you all REVEAL your chosen card simultaneously; but
WHEN do you decide which action you are taking (a. apply it to one
of your resources, b. build a new building, face up, c. conceal it
as part of your wonder face down, or d. discard it for 3 gold)?
Can you decide AFTER seeing everyone's cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capt yid wrote:
Another newbie question:
4. I know that you all REVEAL your chosen card simultaneously; but
WHEN do you decide which action you are taking (a. apply it to one
of your resources, b. build a new building, face up, c. conceal it
as part of your wonder face down, or d. discard it for 3 gold)?
Can you decide AFTER seeing everyone's cards?

We pretty much do it simultaneously as we reveal (or not reveal in the case of discard or wonder build), however with all groups I have played with the assumption is that people have "decided" what they are doing prior to placing the card face-down in any case. It would be poor form in any of the games I have played to change your mind once you saw peoples cards. It doesn't seem to be explicit in the rules though - at least as I read them.

Hope this helps - with new players I'd probably be a bit more flexible on this though, but in general terms I would have thought that the game doesn't work properly if you can decide later how you play will play a card. Also if you are discarding or building a wonder then you don't reveal the card anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I agree with Craig. It is simultaneous.

We basically say, ready, go. If you want to build it, flip it face up, if you want cash, toss it in the middle, and if you want to build a wonder, leave it face down by your wonder.

If anyone changed their mind, it would be obvious as they grab their card back, flip it back over or remove it from the wonder area and that would be poor form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Stewart
United States
Bowie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, that clear things up.
Wasn't sure if you revealed discards
and wonder builds; makes sense to
keep them concealed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes - I had a good read of the rules yesterday and they aren't really explicit on all these points. It does say however that your card choice is placed face down, and that wonder builds and discards are also face down. The clear implication from this is that you do not reveal them. It is possible too that the designer has clarified these things in other rules threads.

I do think revealing would remove some of the strategy from the game. I have had a couple of wins recently, contibuted to in some part by burying (as a wonder build) the double stone, and the double ore - note these were not the same game. I assume at some point my opponents realised I had done this, but it was probably at least 2 to 3 turns after I made the play (or even only at the end of Age 2). If I had revealed the play then they may well have had more time to adjust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antony Liken
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
liken@xtra.co.nz wrote:
I have had a couple of wins recently, contibuted to in some part by burying (as a wonder build) the double stone, and the double ore - note these were not the same game.

What a meanie! :)

Just to clarify the original posters question with regard to military resolution. You aren't arranged in a straight line ... I wouldn't contemplate playing this game on a bus trip ... but rather in circle, around a table or whatever so every player will have a left and right neighbour for military conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.