Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mentioned this in another post but wanted to get some opinions/strategies.

In the beginning of the game, I tend to fail a lot of adventures. However, this is not due to the "push your luck" aspect. I basically fail the first danger card and subsequently fail the cliffhanger. This is usually due to the danger card requiring three or more 5+ or 6+ successes combined with rolling only 2 or 3 dice. And this happens a lot.

It just seems you are destined for a slow or difficult start, every game. Am I missing something? Do you guys have the same experience? What do you do to mitigate the amount of failures in the beginning?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Roll higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or draw better cards.

Seriously, there are some nasty cards in there, but you shouldn't be drawing them every time. And are you remembering to exert on the cliffhangers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fivepast
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:
In the beginning of the game, I tend to fail a lot of adventures. However, this is not due to the "push your luck" aspect. I basically fail the first danger card and subsequently fail the cliffhanger. This is usually due to the danger card requiring three or more 5+ or 6+ successes combined with rolling only 2 or 3 dice.

Don't forget (like I did) that you can keep rolling the dice as long as you get one success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fivepast wrote:
arcane220 wrote:
In the beginning of the game, I tend to fail a lot of adventures. However, this is not due to the "push your luck" aspect. I basically fail the first danger card and subsequently fail the cliffhanger. This is usually due to the danger card requiring three or more 5+ or 6+ successes combined with rolling only 2 or 3 dice.

Don't forget (like I did) that you can keep rolling the dice as long as you get one success.

Oh hell! I forgot that one too. Will definitely make things easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between the randomness of the dice and the randomness of the card draws, it's always possible that you'll have some points throughout the game when you see more or less fails.

If it really becomes an issue, you might consider having your Heroes go for empty Locations at the start, instead of going right to Artifacts. There's a 50/50 chance they'll get an Event card, a handful of which are bad, but many of which provide some good bonuses while adventuring. (I haven't felt the need to go this route, but I think I've been a bit luckier than you so far.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jda1974 wrote:
Between the randomness of the dice and the randomness of the card draws, it's always possible that you'll have some points throughout the game when you see more or less fails.

If it really becomes an issue, you might consider having your Heroes go for empty Locations at the start, instead of going right to Artifacts. There's a 50/50 chance they'll get an Event card, a handful of which are bad, but many of which provide some good bonuses while adventuring. (I haven't felt the need to go this route, but I think I've been a bit luckier than you so far.)

THIS. we played this weekend, and i ran straight for an artifact, while the other two players ended up at empty places, as well as rolling ones. this had a big effect on the game, as those extra event cards allowed them to pass their early adventures with ease, while i was KO'd repeatedly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Roll higher.

I tried...apparently turning the die onto the 6 side after it stopped rolling was considered cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fivepast wrote:
I know the rule very well, but the biggest problem is usually getting a single success on the first roll. angry

yegods wrote:
jda1974 wrote:

THIS. we played this weekend, and i ran straight for an artifact, while the other two players ended up at empty places, as well as rolling ones. this had a big effect on the game, as those extra event cards allowed them to pass their early adventures with ease, while i was KO'd repeatedly.
I've not tried building up event cards prior to adventuring (I've always been worried about people grabbing the artifacts before me)...but, I'll give this a shot tonight.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sly
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's one idea, maybe while creating the artifacts you draw a Danger card(without looking to spoil the surprise) as well and place it with the Artifact and Adventure cards...

You can say it's...knowledge based on legend or vague information gleamed from locals who know the area but are afraid of seeking the treasure themselves, etc, etc. And when you get to the site, this will be the first Danger card you draw for the artifact.

It's not much, but it's a little leg up that can make your decisions a bit more informed, without breaking the theme too much or really removing much of the overall challenge of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...that's actually a pretty nifty idea. I may try that on my next game.

I did happen to finish a solo game earlier and ended up winning, but it didn't really feel like winning.

Recap:

I took the advice and spent 3-4 turns pulling event cards and was able to build up almost 10 Glory. While I did this, the Nazis scooped up 3 Artifacts. I was able to accomplish a 3 danger Adventure and gather 16 total Glory, allowing me to buy a book and some rope. Hey, Charlie Bronson's always got rope. The Nazis managed to clear a temple and took 6 Fortune for their efforts. I sold my Artifact for 3+1 Fortune and the Nazis managed to scoop up another artifact.

Total so far, Nazis - 5 Artifacts and 6 Fortune....Me - 1 sold Artifact for 4 Fortune.

Eventually a Secret Base popped up near me. I took the opportunity to raid the base, relieving them of their Fortune. The Nazis took this time to grab a couple more Artifacts.

Score: Nazis, 7 Artifacts....Me, 10 Fortune.

Eventually, it boiled down to me and Herr Teufel competing for the last Artifact. Luck was on my side and I was able to grab the last Artifact and cash that sucker in for 7+1 Fortune. The Nazis decided to pick off one last Artifact for grins.

In the end, I won....but, I only accomplished 3 Adventures. The Nazis picked off 8 Artifacts, a Temple, and 6 Fortune. It was a bit of a pressure cooker near the end, but nearing the victory condition....I couldn't help but think the Nazis got shafted.

In any case, this game may be growing on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.