Subject: Power Grid? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How teachable is Power Grid...Is it easy to pick up and learn? Will be playing mostly with 2 players and maps that play better with 2 players, Thanks..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Note that most PG fans don't consider it a very good 2-player game (see the survey "User Suggested # of Players" on the game's BGG page.) With 2 players, the element of map blockage becomes much less interesting and exists only in the first part of the game; and auctions become much less interesting.

Its rules are comparable to many medium complexity euros, so whether you will find it easy or hard depends on your experience with other euros, e.g. I think it's quicker to learn than Caylus, harder than Carcassonne.

There are some fiddly rules that confuse many newbies (who ask the same questions over and over in the forum), so be sure to read Power Grid FAQ if you decide to play it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

For two players there are better brain burners than Power Grid. Twilight Struggle is the obvious recommendation, War of the Ring comes to mind as a common choice too.

My personal recommendation is Warriors of God which is thoroughly a wargame, so the theme and unpredictability may not appeal to you. If that's not the case there's likely 25 titles that are better for two players in the genre. Power Grid is a good game, but two-player isn't its strong spot and given the time it takes to play there are some excellent two-player alternatives that would give you a similar intellectual challenge in the same amount of time.

I can't speak to train games but they're becoming a genre all their own, and are more economically oriented like Power Grid (at least thematically). Someone may be able to speak to that if you ask the question in the right places.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Banjo John
Denmark
flag msg tools
I also wouldn't recommend Power Grid for two players, though it's one of my favourite games for more players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that Power Grid is easy to teach, as long as there is someone who really knows the game. It's intuitively logical (you build plants, buy fuel and connect to cities.) However, I agree that it's not at its best with 2 (I like all the numbers from 3 to 6, though I have a slight preference for 4 players.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedemann Friese
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
coco123 wrote:
How teachable is Power Grid...Is it easy to pick up and learn? Will be playing mostly with 2 players and maps that play better with 2 players, Thanks..

Wait for the robots
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Russell
United States
Dearborn
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
friedemann wrote:
coco123 wrote:

Wait for the robots

My wife and I play most games, including Power Grid, most often with two players. It certainly works better with more players-- which is why we're definitely looking forward to the robots!-- but I think that the Korea map works very well for two (at the very least, for us two). The dual resource markets create a higher degree of tension/competition than you would get playing other maps with just two players. (Granted, there's even more tension playing that map with 3+.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, no reason to wait. Buy it now, learn the game, it's still enjoyable.

Use this variant for 2 players until the robots come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.