Popular Tags: [View All]
angel gavalda
Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!
When you buy a plant and have to discard other one because you have 3 plants, can you move resources from the discarded plant to the new one or only to one of the other two plants that you have?¿?¿

I´ve read the faq and I think it is not clear.

Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René van Bussel
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are allowed to move the resources to the new one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aki Järvi-Eskola
Finland
Helsinki
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
It's a pad of sticky notes!
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact:
rulebook, p. 4, under Phase 3: Buying Resources wrote:
Important: At any time during the game, a player can rearrange his resources among his power plants if they are able to use the resources being placed on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Power Grid FAQ currently says:
Power Grid FAQ wrote:
If you already have 3 plants (4 in a 2-player game), then you must throw away an old plant (not the one you just bought) when you buy a new plant. You may move resources from the discarded plant to other compatible plant(s) that have the space to store the resources, since you are always free to move resources between compatible plants.

Is that not clear? Or did you not notice it? Does the FAQ need improvement? (It is a wiki page so anyone is free to edit it and add to it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does seem like adding the line, "Resources may be moved from the plant being discarded to the plant just bought," could very well be a great idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
OK, how about this updated version with "(old or newly purchased)":

edited Power Grid FAQ wrote:
You may move resources from the discarded plant to any other compatible plant(s) which you own (old or newly purchased) and which have the space to store the resources, since you are always free to move resources between compatible plants which you own.

(I also added "which you own" as long as we're further clarifying, lest someone wonder if they could give/sell the resources from their discarded plant to some other player...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I cannot find: should I replace #04 (coal) with #25 (coal) and there are coal tokens on the #04, do I have to keep the coal?

If I build the #26 (oil) over the #04 I can decide if I want to move the coal to another power plant of my own (say the #08) or not, but what about if the new plant supports the same fuel type?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
What I cannot find: should I replace #04 (coal) with #25 (coal) and there are coal tokens on the #04, do I have to keep the coal?

If I build the #26 (oil) over the #04 I can decide if I want to move the coal to another power plant of my own (say the #08) or not, but what about if the new plant supports the same fuel type?

The rule don't say "must move" so it would seem that you could waste the money you spent by discarding them. Except in the end game situation that you're trying to create a market shortage by discarding resources to free up space for buying more, why would you want to repurchase resources? The plant numbers you're using in your examples are early game numbers and I can't see the above strategy being very strong at that point during a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
proclaimed wrote:
Except in the end game situation that you're trying to create a market shortage by discarding resources to free up space for buying more
That's exactly the situation that this could be viable; last in turn order, opting to corner the resource market in. Sometimes it occurs in mid-game as well, if everyone has been burning coal.

So, it seems that even when the new power plant supports the same resource type, one may opt out of keeping the old resource tokens, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
So, it seems that even when the new power plant supports the same resource type, one may opt out of keeping the old resource tokens, right?

Absolutely. You can feel free to lose in whatever fashion suits you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.