Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I had showed my wife the Victory Point games I had purchased recently and suggested that we give one of them a try as a co-op game of sorts, with both of us making the decisions and whatnot, and she suggested Nemo's War.

I had played it once before but it was a little while ago, so we had to go through the rules again before we played. The start of the first game was a little rough, with me trying to remember all the rules and Meg trying to learn them for the first time, but it went pretty well. If you've ever played NW before, you know there's a lot of moving markers back and forth on tracks and things but with two people doing the work it went pretty smoothly. We went for an Exploration goal but due to some bad rolls the oceans filled up pretty quickly and poor Nemo was lost and forgotten. We chalked it up as a learning game and reset for another.

This time, Nemo was out for blood. We went for the War goal and started sinking ships left and right in our quest for vengeance. Along the way, we started collecting a couple of Wonders and some adventures with Science goals, so when it was time to change the goal, we went for Science over War. At that point, the plan was to run out the clock (get to week 52) before anything terrible happened. Unfortunately, we forgot to sink a ship in the Mediterranean to fill up a column in the Sunken Ship Record Track, which would have gained us a few more points. The end of the game was pretty tense, with almost all the oceans full but we made it to the end and we got 112 points, which gets you..."Inconsequential Results!" We had a pretty good laugh over that, but all in all, Meg said she had a pretty good time and would play it again (so I wouldn't call it that inconsequential).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post, Ed! The "co-op" application for solitaire games is a method of game play with one's wife/girlfriend that I've been espousing (pun intended) for a long time. It's a fantastic way for a gamer and his wife/son/daughter to enjoy games together without it being competitive. I've been preaching this as a way for couples to enjoy Dawn of the Zeds as well, as there a number of women who like the zombie gendre and playing the game co-op allows them to enjoy the gaming aspect also. Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
HORST324 wrote:
Great post, Ed! The "co-op" application for solitaire games is a method of game play with one's wife/girlfriend that I've been espousing (pun intended) for a long time...

Thanks for the reply! My wife is no stranger to gaming (we routinely play the Empire Builder games and she beat me in a game of Glen More on Saturday) but we do like playing co-op games a lot.

Of course, Dawn of the Zeds is going to be on our next VPG purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:
The "co-op" application for solitaire games is a method of game play with one's wife/girlfriend that I've been espousing (pun intended) for a long time. It's a fantastic way for a gamer and his wife/son/daughter to enjoy games together without it being competitive. I've been preaching this as a way for couples to enjoy Dawn of the Zeds as well, as there a number of women who like the zombie gendre and playing the game co-op allows them to enjoy the gaming aspect also. Hermann

While my wife won't touch a board game, I have several buddies that enjoy co-op sessions with solitaire games - shared narrative, rules help, non-competition, pure fun.

I've recently enjoyed co-op VPG's States of Siege line, Disaster on K-2, and Hero of Weehawken, DG's D-Day at Omaha Beach and Operation Jubilee: Dieppe, GMT's Space Empires 4X, etc.

Co-op'ing solitaire designs has become one of my favorite gaming preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Also works well for families . One person is the " president" each turn but must listen to all the other "advisors" FIRST each turn. But president makes the final call. Both roles are fun since often the advisors really set the tone and terms within which the president will tend to act
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.