3 Posts

Struggle for Catan» Forums » Variants

Subject: Play more varied and balanced 2-hand games: Random City Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tamater T
msg tools
Here's the deal:

In 2-hand, we found we kept playing the same games.....The first to build an expansion always chose the University....it is just too powerful to not choose as a first choice. The other expansions provide a benefit, but the University's benefit is just too powerful, every turn...

So our games went like this:

First to build an expansion: University
Second: Church (otherwise, it is too easy for the first player to keep taking both knights....all you need is ore-sheep or ore-wheat or wheat-sheep and ANYTHING else and the second knight is yours again.....and the other player needs all 3 specifically to get it back)

After that, it really doesn't matter what happens next....Every game we've played since we realized the power of the university, that player has won.

SO.

What we decided was to make the City Expansion choice random.

Simple enough.....this way, we played many different kinds of games depending on the combination of expansions that was played.

I played my first 3-player game last night with the random choice and it worked well there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tamater T
msg tools
After another 5 or so games last night with 2 games in a row the University going to me on first pick (randomly, though) we decided that it would be best if we don't use the university at all. It is just too powerful and we couldn't find any way for the opposing player to come back from it.

So, we just took it out, leaving a random choice of the library, town hall, church and Castle. Of course, this makes the library the most powerful card.

Another option I just thought of is putting in the extra church and extra castle....that way, you'd have only a 1 in 6 chance of getting the library....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think castle is more powerful than library. It is easy to get resources in this game, so library not as useful. Castle will make it possible to easily claim 2 victory points for roads and leave your opponent open to road stealing on your part. That is a good chunk of V.P. in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.