Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The rules on the GIPF site seem to suggest that you may remove a row of 4 GIPF pieces before or after your turn. Is this true? Is it only because by leaving them in a row, your opponent is essentially offering the row to you at the end of his turn?

2. If you play your last piece, do you still have the option of removing your own pieces on this move (if possible), or does the game immediately end?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read your questions earlier, therefore my answer comes that late.

1.) This is correct. A row of 4 GIPF pieces can be removed before or after your move (as long as it exists).

2.) The game only ends if it is your move and you have no pieces left in your reserve. If you manage to "recycle" pieces with your last piece, the game is NOT over.

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
ekted wrote:
1. The rules on the GIPF site seem to suggest that you may remove a row of 4 GIPF pieces before or after your turn.

Where does it say this in the rules? I thought rows were simply removed (or not) immediately after each move, regardless of whose turn it was.

It looks to me like removal, for rows of either color, happens immediately, as soon as four pieces of a color are lined up (1.E.3), and that if more than one row exists, each is handled "one by one", with the active player taking the row of his color first, in situations where order matters (e.g. in the case of intersecting removable rows).

The only complexity arises when there are GIPF pieces involved, since a player may pass on removing his own, and a valid capture could thus remain on the board. But that's simple too: having passed on taking a row, a player has, in effect, used up his chance to take it until the next move has been made. Once that move (which will be his opponent's) is made, he would have chance again ("immediately" during his opponent's turn) if the row is still there.

Is there a notion of turn phases that I'm missing—i.e. that things "reset" at the beginning of a turn so that rows are reexamined?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
Aldaron wrote:
Where does it say this in the rules?

Ah, I see. This isn't, in fact, in the printed rules at all, but (only?) in the online version of the tournament rules, and even then, only as an easily overlooked "remark": 4 GIPF rows are a special case in which the GIPFs they contain may be taken not only at the usual time (after a move) but also at the start of the owning player's turn, before he moves.

This still doesn't explain the elaborate rules for capture of DVONN and PÜNCT potentials.
(See: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/184263)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.