Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My monthly game group loves playing a variety of games, Agricola, Talisman, Cosmic Encounter, Ticket to Ride...but we have never played a war game! Most of the top BGG war games are only 2 players, War of the Ring is crazy expensive and many seem tedious and dry. Without getting too simple, what would be a fun and accessible wargame you'd recommend for more than 2 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bourke
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Battle for Germany.

It's a very simple game that does a pretty good job of introducing people to wargames, and it has the advantage that it can be played by 4 people.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bourke
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
...or maybe you aren't looking for a traditional hex-and-counter game...

Maybe something more like Risk or Axis and Allies?

The more info you give the easier it is to help out.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Game of Thrones (first edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

One of my standard suggestions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angola! Still time to preorder....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go in a slightly different direction and recommend Nexus Ops. It's pure, delightful Ameri-Trash, but it has combat and conflict and best of all plays 2, 3, or 4 players equally well. It's not too hard and provides plenty of challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Henke
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to ask to help...when you say war game are you thinking any type of period or genre?

And are you thinking about Risk, Axis and Allies, Attack, Shogun (Ikusa), or Shogun (Wallenstein remake) style...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York or Shogun. They both seem to be crossover games that I can get to the table with Euro gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bourke
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that if you are looking for more of a Euro then Shogun is a great choice.

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jtbourke wrote:
...or maybe you aren't looking for a traditional hex-and-counter game...

Maybe something more like Risk or Axis and Allies?

The more info you give the easier it is to help out.

We want less repetition than the traditional Risk game and something with more personality, either in game mechanics or theme. We have not played Axis and Allies and I'm not sure what "hex-and-counter" is? wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
achasteen wrote:
I'm not sure what "hex-and-counter" is? wow

surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
achasteen wrote:
... I'm not sure what "hex-and-counter" is? wow

It's a pair of witches hexing each other. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Bourke
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
achasteen wrote:

We want less repetition than the traditional Risk game and something with more personality, either in game mechanics or theme. We have not played Axis and Allies and I'm not sure what "hex-and-counter" is? :wow:

Ok, that info helps a lot.

I think Shogun has the right personality for your group. It is one of the best games I've played. It doesn't put much focus on fighting but the battles are uniquely handled.

If you want something that is more about fighting then one of the other recommendations is best. Hunga Dunga knows his stuff so take a look at A Game of Thrones. The thing is I haven't played that or other games like it so I'm not much help there.

By the way, "Hex and counter" refers to a very traditional type of wargame where the terrain is represented via a map overlaid with hexagonal spaces which regulate movement and combat. Units are represented with square cardboard counters. There are literally thousands of such games published. A hex-and-counter game doesn't sound like the right fit for you at this time, but take a look at Battle For Germany and see what you think.

Have fun!

Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So maybe "hex" is like hacking? I'd like a game with punching, as long as it had padding equipment...and "counter" is like the person who stands on the sidelines counting the punches?

Anyways, thanks for all the recommendations! I really appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rexbinary
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
In Stereo
badge
I pwnz j00!
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Sheldon
United States
Springfield
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Game of Thrones. Great game!

But also I would suggest Britannia. Easy to learn and lots of fun to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few days, I'll study the nominees and announce my decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Korreck
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis and Allies is the next step. Lots of army guys to push around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
For your consideration....Warlords of Europe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
achasteen wrote:
Without getting too simple, what would be a fun and accessible wargame you'd recommend for more than 2 players?

Unlike some, I'll take you at your word here - although I question
the full 'wargamishness' of these, I'd suggest Here I Stand,
Sword of Rome or The Napoleonic Wars as more modern CDG style
games. Other good options include Empires of the Middle Ages, Russian Civil War 1918-1922 (second edition), and (if you're willing to stretch so far back) Pax Britannica. Some slightly heavier (and more wargamish) options are
War and Peace, Clash of Monarchs, Empires in Arms.

I'd stay away from World in Flames or Advanced Third Reich for
a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagato Fujibayashi

Athens
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has similar needs with yours and we play the following:

For 3 players: Maria, 8 pages of rules for the full advanced game, a lot of maneuver, direct negotiations, strong poker element.

For 2-6 players: Popular Front, even fewer and very simple rules, pretty abstract but rich in events, strategy and tactics. Shines with 4+ players, great fun.

For 2-8 players: Napoleon's Triumph, genius, 8 pages of rules that are hard to grasp in the beginning but not so difficult really, maneuver, asymmetry, totally deterministic combat resolution(the best player wins no matter what), a work of art.

In addition I will also suggest couple of games that I haven't tried yet but I have ordered them so, given that our needs are similar as I said perhaps you'd like to consider having a look at them:

For 2-4 players both the Conflict of Heroes series and the coming Strike of the Eagle block game might interest you- very well written rulebooks that gradually add complexity(which is not great anyhow), have great components and, as far as I've read here, very good gameplay.

PS> Let me make a small observation: I believe that Case Blue is rapidly achieving in the wargame forum the same status that Busen Memo has concerning geeklists. Now I'm not saying this is good or bad, I just felt the need to point it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Napoleonic Wars! Takes some learning, but a really good choice for 4-5 players. It is a blast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe not exactly a wargame, but if you're looking for multiplayer military conflict, your group might enjoy Twilight Imperium (Third Edition), which is very playable with 4 players (that'd be around 6 hours, though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diego Angelotti
Canada
Hudson
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you:

Maria easy to learn and quick to play, even better than its predecessor Friederick. I have had many successful experiences with casual gamers.

Wallenstein (first edition) or Shogun if you want to play something that bears more resemblance to Euro games.

Liberté could also work.

Sword of Rome, Successors (third edition) or The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition) if you want to try card driven games - though it could be too much for the casual gamer. I have impressed in my mind the painful look on some of my friends faces while explaining the rules.

I have not tried neither Game of Thrones nor York vs. Lancaster.

Good Luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.