Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Discworld: Ankh-Morpork» Forums » Rules

Subject: Carcer - One Death or Two? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Sweeney
United Kingdom
Ashford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card says:
"Roll the die twice and remove one minion of your choice from those areas"

We had a discussion about that last night. One player interpreted it as:
"Roll the die twice and remove one minion of your choice from one of those areas".

Another said it means:
"Roll the die twice and remove one minion of your choice from each of those areas".
Note: Martin Wallace has confirmed that this is the correct interpretation: "Carcer can kill up to two people, so roll die, remove minion, roll die, remove second minion."

Who was right?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
johnthesweeney wrote:
The card says:
"Roll the dice and remove one minion of your choice from those areas"

We had a discussion about that last night. One player interpreted it as:
"Roll the dice and remove one minion of your choice from one of those areas".

Another said it means:
"Roll the dice and remove one minion of your choice from each of those areas".

Who was right?



I haven't played this yet, but isn't there only one die in the game?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sweeney
United Kingdom
Ashford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While dice is unequivocably the plural form (unless you are talking about the plural form of die, when referring to a die for stamping or shaping, in which case it is dies), both die and dice are fully acceptable singular forms.

So yes, there is only one dice in the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
johnthesweeney wrote:
While dice is unequivocably the plural form (unless you are talking about the plural form of die, when referring to a die for stamping or shaping, in which case it is dies), both die and dice are fully acceptable singular forms.

So yes, there is only one dice in the game.


Having, again, not played the game, I assumed you were supposed to match the die roll with the area, hence my question about the die. Now I guess the card tells you which areas to remove minions from?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my Collector's Edition yesterday.

Carcer: Roll the die twice and remove one minion of your choice from those areas, even if there is no trouble there.

So roll twice. Remove 2 minions (if able). 1 each form those areas. It has to be both areas to mitigate the randomness. Still you could roll poorly and kill no one!

Edit: Changed my mind.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sweeney
United Kingdom
Ashford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoops - just re-read my post - I typed it too quickly late last night - it has been updated to reflect the actual text on the card!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
johnthesweeney wrote:
Whoops - just re-read my post - I typed it too quickly late last night - it has been updated to reflect the actual text on the card!


Actually reading it again, I'm leaning toward kill 1 guy if able. If you interpret it literally. "Remove 1 minion from those areas," not "Remove 1 minion from each of those areas."
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
johnthesweeney wrote:
Whoops - just re-read my post - I typed it too quickly late last night - it has been updated to reflect the actual text on the card!


Ah, now it makes sense to me as well
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Neary
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
Actually reading it again, I'm leaning toward kill 1 guy if able. If you interpret it literally. "Remove 1 minion from those areas," not "Remove 1 minion from each of those areas."

Hmmm... good point. I think this might need a definitive ruling from Mr Wallace.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guzerat wrote:
Having, again, not played the game, I assumed you were supposed to match the die roll with the area, hence my question about the die. Now I guess the card tells you which areas to remove minions from?


Each of the 12 areas on the board is assigned a different number between 1 and 12. You therefore just need to remove the minion from the area who's number matches the number you rolled on the D12.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Watson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it'd be a bit of a rubbish power if you could only remove one minion from one of two randomly chosen areas (compare with the powers that let you remove one minion from ANY area of your choice).

Therefore I'm going to say that it lets you remove one minion from EACH of the two randomly chosen areas.

Furthermore, I'm going to say that if you roll the same number twice, you get to remove two minions from the same area.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
PROTEIN. WATER. LIQUOR.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
HisDivineShadow wrote:
guzerat wrote:
Having, again, not played the game, I assumed you were supposed to match the die roll with the area, hence my question about the die. Now I guess the card tells you which areas to remove minions from?


Each of the 12 areas on the board is assigned a different number between 1 and 12. You therefore just need to remove the minion from the area who's number matches the number you rolled on the D12.


Yes, that was my assumption about the card. If you read the thread, you'll find it has been clarified to be two rolls.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things that I like about this game is how well it follows the theme, and I think it is reasonable to use the theme to figure out things like this.

In this case, if you have read the books then you know that Carcer is an evil bugger, and wherever he goes someone dies. Therefore he is bound to kill someone in both the areas selected (or two someones in the same area if the same number is rolled twice).

Anything else would show a lack of narrativium.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say roll twice, remove one minion from each area rolled. Which means that if the same area is rolled twice, you only remove *one* minion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
johnthesweeney wrote:
The card says:
"Roll the die twice and remove one minion of your choice from those areas"


Carcer's character in Night Watch is pretty chaotic, thus the die rolls.

Based on this and the re-wording of the OP I'd say:

Roll Twice
Pick one of the two rolls and remove a minion

Free, somewhat chaotic, assassination without trouble requirements
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sweeney
United Kingdom
Ashford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Martin Wallace: "Carcer can kill up to two people, so roll die, remove minion, roll die, remove second minion."
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
johnthesweeney wrote:
From Martin Wallace: "Carcer can kill up to two people, so roll die, remove minion, roll die, remove second minion."


Which means you can end up killing your own guys. cry
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sweeney
United Kingdom
Ashford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, can happen with Mysterious Murders as well - my wife had to kill one of her own minions last night
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.