Alex Bagosy
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point, we have just under one week to make funding for the Divided Republic Kickstarter project. As of my last update (around 4:36 PM Pacific Time), we have raised approximately 4,360 dollars. Not at all bad, but unfortunately, still far from our $13,000 dollar goal. While we wait to see the end result, I thought I'd share some news and perspectives to this point.

First, I regret to inform you that I have had no further luck getting the Designer Diary published. I did finish it some time ago, and while I am very grateful for the opportunity to write the article and see it published, I am doubtful at this stage whether it will appear in time and whether it will have a large enough impact. Anything is possible, of course, and stranger things have happened.

Some of you have recently asked me what the trouble has been in getting out the word. That is difficult, and somewhat complicated, to explore. However, what I can tell you at present is that this has essentially been a one man operation in terms of promotion, aided by the many dozens, if not hundreds, of loyal supporters who have helped my efforts by tweeting the game, putting it up on reddit, pushing it on every Geeklist they can think of, even bringing it up at local board game meetups. The map by itself would not have appeared as "early" in this process if my good friends in Spain hadn't seen fit to "leak" it. Of course, even those who have donated a dollar have done -something- to help the cause, and for that I am eternally grateful.

At this stage, I am not terribly convinced that the game will make funding. However, I am willing to let the project run its course for the present and we'll see what happens!

So, what happens if it DOESN"T make funding?

I am currently considering my options. At the very least, the number of backers who have surfaced may be sufficient to convince some other publishers to give the game a second glance.

The primary issue at hand is time. As I've mentioned here before, Election Games perform very poorly when released in non-Election years: that's an unfortunate fact. If the game has been established for a few years (a la 1960), sales are relatively stable. However, otherwise, these things just don't get as much interest as they might otherwise in different years. The present arrangement was made with the understanding that it was the quickest and safest way to see the game take to market by the 2012 US Presidential Election. At the moment, the primary goal for me is to get it published one way or another, in the early part of next year. Having it languish on someone's hard drive for a few years as part of a long term pre-order list just isn't workable at present.

That said, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to hearing them. Unfortunately, I can't afford to spend any more money on this... I've literally tapped out all excess resources... but I am open to other thoughts on the matter.

One thing I need to address about the ideas being suggested to make the funding thing happen or otherwise find publication: I have been asked privately to consider creating "sock puppet" accounts and/or get friends to register on BGG simply to rate up the game and drive interest. I am sorry to say that I cannot work in that fashion. It simply goes against my moral compass, for what that's worth. So, while I appreciate the intent behind those ideas, the answer is still no. Not happening. Period.

-Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about extending the Kickstarter period? Pledges seem to have gone up in the last few days, since the map has been on the front page. Another month might push it much closer to the goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb

One concern that I have with Kickstarter is the time period, for the board game pre-order it is a short and fixed deadline. Please continue to keep us informed.

All the best

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Cano
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sol Invictus wrote:
The map by itself would not have appeared as "early" in this process if my good friends in Spain hadn't seen fit to "leak" it.

I'd like to had make contact between Numbskull Games and David Prieto before this project was launched on Kickstarter in order to have more time but things happen when it has to be. But now, boardgamegeeks will know that the game is not only great (I'm translating the rules to Spanish and I'm liking it so much!) but also is going to look great!

Maybe a little more time would help to reach the goal, maybe the goal has been too high for so little time, I don't know...

Sol Invictus wrote:
I have been asked privately to consider creating "sock puppet" accounts and/or get friends to register on BGG simply to rate up the game and drive interest. I am sorry to say that I cannot work in that fashion. It simply goes against my moral compass, for what that's worth. So, while I appreciate the intent behind those ideas, the answer is still no. Not happening. Period.

I'm glad you stay true to yourself and your moral values. It's very important to not do this! That behaviour could turn against your interests because it undermines credibility, boardgamegeeks are smart, they don't get fooled easily.

Sol Invictus wrote:
I am currently considering my options. At the very least, the number of backers who have surfaced may be sufficient to convince some other publishers to give the game a second glance.

I have to say that Numbskull Games are working hard on this project, Patrick Stevens believes in Divided Republic a lot. He is mortgaging his money and health (mentally and physically) to offer the audience great historical flavoured games. I know that the beginigns are hard, but slowly Numbskull Games will grow and would have less problems to spread the word. At least, now looks like they have achieved a good graphic designer that increase quality production to their games. David is very happy to work with Patrick and I believe this collaboration will remain beyond Divided Republic.

I think that Divided Republic will be a success regardless of whether it get funding or not on Kickstarter.

Good luck to all involved in this project in one way or another!

Cristian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks cool. I want it.

Have you thought of changing the title? I understand what "Divide Republic" means but others may not.

Maybe "1860: A Divided Republic"? Get the year in there to give a sense that it's about the Civil War era, by coincidence it resembles "1960", another election game. And by including "A Divided Republic" you avoid people buying it expecting another 18XX rail game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
I just saw the map in the hotness and immediately backed it at the $45 level. I don't know the rules for KS but an extension may help you out now that the map image is hot.

You could also elaborate the title, it almost sounds like a wargame.

It's too bad because the different backing levels seem to have GREAT value, especially when you factor free shipping in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I backed at the $60 level (+$15 for international shipping) because I wanted the abemeeples... Those sound totally awesome

Too bad that the abemeeples didn't come with the second copy of the game though, I would pay a little more for both copies having them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
xjohncandyx wrote:

Good point. "The Election of 1860: A Divided Republic"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
xjohncandyx wrote:

Yeah that was my thought when I first learned of this game. "Why isn't it called 1860: A Divided Republic" or something like that?

Seeing as how 1960 is a top 50 game here on BGG, highly liked, finding a way to link it to that would have propelled the buzz about this game quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
murksofus wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
xjohncandyx wrote:

Yeah that was my thought when I first learned of this game. "Why isn't it called 1860: A Divided Republic" or something like that?

Seeing as how 1960 is a top 50 game here on BGG, highly liked, finding a way to link it to that would have propelled the buzz about this game quite a bit.

1860: The Making of the President

1860: A Presidential Divide
1860: The Great Divide
1860: Turbulent Republic
1860: Republic in Turmoil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wendigo song
United States
Claymont
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about 1860: Election for a Divided Republic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kareem Koh
Malaysia
Puchong
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you thought of offering batch deals for international orders?

The last 2 projects I backed (Manhattan Project & GtR) offered multiple copies + combined shipping at a lower cost - this allowed me to organize couple of people from my community to join in.

Though I understand the financial constraints with doing that since you are a brand new publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you extend the deadline? The game looks great (I just heard of it five minutes ago from the 1960 page) and I wish you the best of luck with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bagosy
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, everyone.

Thank you for your suggestions.

In answer to the most common: The time itself, unfortunately, can't be altered once the project has begun - you have to cancel the project and start all over again in order to do so.

As for the goal, it was actually fairly low compared to projects up when it was posted. We did have a forty day window, which is about the maximum amount of time recommended by KS. As for the amount itself, all I can say is that it was the amount quoted by Numbskull, plus Kickstarter fees.

Still working on alternative options.

-Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bagosy
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Sol Invictus"]Hello, everyone.

Thank you for your suggestions.

In answer to the most common: The time itself, unfortunately, can't be altered once the project has begun - you have to cancel the project and start all over again in order to do so.

As for the goal, it was actually fairly low compared to projects up when it was posted. We did have a forty day window, which is about the maximum amount of time recommended by KS. As for the amount itself, all I can say is that it was the amount quoted by Numbskull, plus Kickstarter fees.

I had hoped to offer further incentives, but unfortunately, I cannot offer anything else, personally, especially since I've blown my own budget (and the budget for my miniatures company) on advertising and artwork:(

Still working on alternative options.

-Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Three pics are now up in the hotness. I hope that added exposure helps. I posted links on Facebook twitter and Google+. I still think it can be done. Anyone have ideas of stores that would buy the bulk packages that you can contact?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to back this game, but overseas shipping-costs kill almost all not-available-at-Essen or similar possibilities for me soblue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onetonmee wrote:
Have you thought of offering batch deals for international orders?

The last 2 projects I backed (Manhattan Project & GtR) offered multiple copies + combined shipping at a lower cost - this allowed me to organize couple of people from my community to join in.

One of the last big successful KS-projects, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, offered exactly that, plus Essen-pickup, plus additional goodies every once another funding-level was reached, and produced plenty of buzz that way (making me order the same game 3-times for the 1st time in my life :-)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Cano
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally disagree!

45$ (shipping to Europe included) with current exchange means 33€, that's a great price counting that the game will include more than 100 cards, a mounted board and a bunch of wooden cubes, wooden hexagons and markers in four colors.

Today is getting harder to find a game, even in Europe, with that amount of components for the same price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I ended up going the 60+75 route not just because i wanted abeeples, but also that with getting 2 copies of the game, the price of each copy was drastically reduced. I can always force a friend to buy one off me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siegfried Steurer
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bravucon wrote:
45$ (shipping to Europe included) with current exchange means 33€

I guess you still would have to add customs though, which finally makes close to the price of a 2nd game (which I would always prefer to get, and benefit both the designer/producer and me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bagosy
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bravucon wrote:
I totally disagree!

45$ (shipping to Europe included) with current exchange means 33€, that's a great price counting that the game will include more than 100 cards, a mounted board and a bunch of wooden cubes, wooden hexagons and markers in four colors.

Today is getting harder to find a game, even in Europe, with that amount of components for the same price.

Thank you. I'm sort of mystified by the comments about too much for shipping, too. Fifteen dollars for shipping anywhere in the world? That's pretty good, if you ask me. It's a heck of a lot cheaper than it could be purchased retail, and much less than I would have to pay to import the same game from Europe.

But the US doesn't have customs duties, so what can I say?

I appreciate the interest and enthusiasm... and I wish I could offer free shipping under 100, but that unfortunately is not in my power.

-Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Smith
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Divided Republic is in the top 10 of the Hotness.
Numbskull Games is in the Company Hotness list.
3 images on the front page.

Lots of attention, too bad the Kickstarter doesn't get funded by views alone. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1926752146/divided-repub...

There is still time to get the game made folks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Smith
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Puquak wrote:
Divided Republic is in the top 10 of the Hotness.
Numbskull Games is in the Company Hotness list.
3 images on the front page.

Lots of attention, too bad the Kickstarter doesn't get funded by views alone. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1926752146/divided-repub...

There is still time to get the game made folks.

As a side note to Numbskull Games, as a result of getting behind Divided Republic I found Blockade Runner and have added that game to my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Cano
Spain
Sevilla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bought six times games from GMT Games directly from the US and I never had to pay customs, maybe I'm a lucky man, maybe in Austria things are different than in Spain.

In the other hand you're lucky because Essen is closer from Austria than Spain. This year I'll stay at home.

Cristian.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.