Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matteo Badinelli
Italy
Lonato
Brescia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi I post here in search of help about mounting wargames maps. Anybody knows how to? Is it a difficult task? And most important is it worth the time and money?

Thanks in advance
Matteo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hwang
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really a wargamer and don't paid attention to those problems but I do remember reading somewhere in the forum, that cheap plastic poster frames are handy.

I can't remember what post it was, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I lay a sheet of plexiglass over paper mats. Works like a charm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All *REAL* wargamers use a sheet of plexi. A pair of angled forceps and some nail clippers help too. I might also suggest setting up the map and plexi on a large piece of firm foamboard. That way, when you need to clear the table, you can pick everything up- map, plexi, units and all- and move it all to another location, to continue later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have mounted a few things now, it is not that hard to do. The was I learned was to read through the instructions for the custom made PR game at the following link.

www.michaeldoyle.com/PRege/LaCiudad.html

This guy covers everthing you need to know in pretty good detail. Not to mention that the art for his version of PR is nice (IMHO).

Anyway, what he explains works well for war game maps too. The only think to worry about when mounting them is the folds. You will need to sit it under some heavy books for a few days before mounting.

Also I warn you now. Cutting the mount with a razor is a lot of work, be ready for that.

The other thing thats a bit of a pain is the cutting of the board after mounting so it can be folded. I don't have this down 100% yet.

I think in the end plexiglass is a much better option. Also if you want to be cheap about it go buy a plastic poster frame at a craft store and use the plastic front to cover the map.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Foster
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Mark said, plus.

IMHO that using the plexi over paper/cardstock wargame maps is the most efficient way of doing things. It allows easy re-storage of the maps (self-mounted maps being rather space inefficient) and cuts down on the work load while keeping everything flat, playable and clean.

Plexi is also about the only solution you can use when you've got one of those games with back-printed maps, such as GMT's Roads to Leningrad.

How long does it last? I've been using the same plexi sheets for over 20 years...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Albee
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Where do you get these plexiglass sheets? Staples? Or a crafts store?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.