Subject: I love Citadels, therefore I will love... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Mitchell
Australia
Reid
ACT
flag msg tools
There is another thread about this, but that is specifically 2 player focused, and the OP there liked different things about Citadels than me.

What I love most is the bluffing aspect in relation to the roles, trying to guess what character other players have chosen, and trying to chose your own role without being assassinated or stolen from.

Any other recommended games which have similar characteristics?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Arthur Ellis
United States
Ashland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Revolution! It's good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Neu Wien wrote:
There is another thread about this, but that is specifically 2 player focused, and the OP there liked different things about Citadels than me.

What I love most is the bluffing aspect in relation to the roles, trying to guess what character other players have chosen, and trying to chose your own role without being assassinated or stolen from.

Any other recommended games which have similar characteristics?

Thanks in advance!

About to be released:
Lost Temple (Same designer as Citadels, secret roles but as a race game)

In print:
Shadow Hunters
Saboteur
Verräter (Only German edition exists though; gamesurplus.com has it available for a decent price; this game inspired Faidutti for some of Citadels)
Meuterer (same as above)
Mission: Red Planet (Same designer as Citadels, secret roles but implemented differently and throws in area control and steampunk; I think I read they are no longer printing this but still available some places like thoughthammer.com.)

Out of print/but possible to find on secondary market:
Witch's Brew
Fist of Dragonstones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Zeppelin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
...playing more Citadels with different players

Why leave a classic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Duclos
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
Who ya gonna call?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Vasel also loves this aspect of the game. Though I have not played all of these, he recommends the following for a similar mechanic:

Grimoire
Greedy Kingdoms
Yomi

check his videos on these for more info.

[edited typo]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people consider Race for the Galaxy bluffing, but that might be a stretch.

Some say Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game actually works not bad with 2p.... there's only 1 cylon card, it may not come out, and if it does then it may not get dealt, so 2 people may get paranoid about the other player for nothing.

Then you have games that have a bit of bluffing like For Sale, or Raj. For Raj, I would try a 2p variant where you use 2 cards per play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission: Red Planet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joepinion wrote:
Revolution! It's good stuff.

I second this. It's four player out of the box and up to six with a WAY OVERPRICED expansion. I find it's nowhere near as deep as the not very deep Citadels but it looks great, plays fast and is really fun for bluff out games.

I find there's a bit of a runaway leader thing in there but maybe we just suck at it...

Fist of Dragonstones is another one you might check out. No idea if it's still in print. I didn't have good luck with it but that's to do with who I was playing it with. I was able to see a good bidding game there despite my bad partners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mitchell
Australia
Reid
ACT
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone, lots of great suggestions there. Don't worry, I'm not going to give up playing Citadels (in fact, I played last night and won ) but there's lots of choices there I haven't heard of. I have played a couple of those, such as Sabatour, and will have to look in to the rest a bit more. I wish you all many happy games of Citadels to come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Chen
Germany
flag msg tools
How about The Resistance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mitchell
Australia
Reid
ACT
flag msg tools
I haven't tried that one, but I do also like similar sounding games like Bang and Mafia, so I'll definitely have to check that one out too Danke!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:

YES!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aldaryn wrote:
broggi wrote:

YES!

Yup, as long as you're not looking for a 2 player game - MRP needs at least 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.