6 Posts

Genoa» Forums » General

Subject: need advice for shortening game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
m k
United States
flag msg tools
We have a group that gets to deep in the negotiations. Our first game took 4 hours (no joke). Can anyone come up with a clever mechanism to add to the game to avoid this?
My thoughts for this so far are:
1) Tower Mover gets cash bonus ($25?) if he keeps whole turn under a certain amount of time (2.5 minutes?).
2) Some form of blind bidding (how?).
3) Pay a small amount ($5?) for each offer made, accepted or not.
Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Eagle Rock
California
flag msg tools
mb
Re:need advice for shortening game
repguy28@aol.com (#10660),

i have never played the game, so take this with a grain of salt, but in order to prevent untoward haggling, you could limit the negotiation to 1. offer, 2. counteroffer, 3. acceptance or rejection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Weimer
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I wouldn't be the first to suggest that choosing the right people to play with is the best way to shorten a game. Playing with folks who don't analyze everything to death really keeps the game length down.

Having said that, however, I love your idea #1. Bring a Boggle timer. I'd be interested to hear how that works out if you try it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry McVicker
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Bah...this sounds like great fun! One of the most attractive parts of the game is heated negotiations between the players. If it was a painful 4 hours, I suggest you find new people to play with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blackwind (#33586),
When it is your turn to be the tower player you have some great opportunities for making money and have the responsibility to keep things moving. To successfully sell an action you have to pressure the other players. Say things like "Are you really going to let him get an extra action card for only $5?". Do a countdown to deadline "offer is for a salt and $10 going once, going twice....". If your friends are stingy in their offers, use the street so fewer actions are available. If things often take really really long, use that time to keep track of how much money people have. If it's one player usually dragging things out, the other three should pressure him.

One thing I found with my group of friends is that everyone I played with always wanted to offer cash for an action. I started to make more creative deals and offer less cash (e.g. If you go to spices I'll take the salt and you can have the pepper; If you go to the guild hall I'll take one small order and give you the other). The result was I didn't have as many special cards as the other players but the cash was flowing into my bank but not out. I finished the game with about $100 more than everyone else. I think this strategy will work one more time before I have to adapt and try a different strategy next time which tells me this is truly a great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way I feel is to reduce the number of turns. You can do it the EVO/I'm the Boss way. a definite finish preceded by rounds of endings with decreasing probability (1-5 die roll, 1-4, 1-3 and so on).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.