Subject: Does this improve Kingsport much? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angry Augury
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also posted this message on the Kingsport forum before I noticed that that board doesn't seem to get much love. So I'm posting it here to hopefully find some good information.

--

I've never played Kingsport yet but I've read a lot of complaints that it's a boring map. With all the changes Miskatonic brings to the expansions is this downside remedied at all? Are there more reasons to go there now?

I do want to get the expansion eventually, mostly for the Epic Battle cards, but really don't want to spend the cash on something that's going to be mostly unused. If Kingsport is actually good (contrary to a lot of complaints) and/or if Miskatonic makes things better, I'd love to know.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know Kingsport seems to be a bit unpopular, but I quite like it. The board features lots of curious encounters - many of which are beneficial to the investigators (more than in the rest of Arkham). These encounters can be a treat, especially if your investigator has been laid low a bit!

I like the rift mechanism, they don't always trigger, but if they do it is bad news. We have lost a couple of games recently down to not quite managing the rifts.

Miskatonic adds to Kingsport (like every expansion) and provides even more reasons for going there. The mythos and hypnos cards will now place clue tokens in Kingsport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it makes it a little easier to get to the Strange High House in the Mists, though it still takes far too long to be wortwhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miskatonic adds more components to Kingsport than to any other expansion (edit: wait, Dunwich benefits more than Kingsport...sorry!), if that helps.

If the board is the only thing you're worried about, then don't be. You can always use everything else in the expansion: investigators, AOs, heralds, guardians, items, skills, and of course, Epic Battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely, the other bits are great and make the expansion well worth owning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes my Kingsport-Only games even more livelier than they were before. The only unstable locations are in Arkham itself, but unlike a base-game-only game, the Kingsport and Miskatonic Mythos make Arkham much harder to "seal up" (i.e. get boring). (I like to add one small box to that mix too; Lurker or Dark Pharaoh seem to react best.) Surges and bursts are more common, so expect a lot of monsters and a more active Terror Track. Kingsport is supposed to be welcome relief from the crowded mess of Arkham, but the Miskatonic cards make Kingsport more unsafe than it used to be.

I realize this means little if one plays with more than one extra board, but Miskatonic has cards for those combinations too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I'm not qualified to contribute, having not played with Kingsport in aeons. (But when did not being qualified ever act as a barrier to a Geeker?). However... my experience with Dunwich is that man alive! but Miskatonic puts a rocket up Dunwich's equivalent of where the sun don't shine! I've only played Dunwich with Miskatonic twice, but the Dunwich Horror has woken up both times - I've never had it wake up before. Ignoring Dunwich is totally not an option now that Miskatonic is included.

So why is this relevant to Kingsport? Because I found that Kingsport contributed very little to the game. Talk about a sleepy little backwater! But add all that Miskatonic goodness to the Mythos deck and add that huge stack of new Location cards - I'll bet you've got yourself a fine mess o' Kingsport gumbo! It certainly spiced up Dunwich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.