Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting bit of news from the BGG news blog (bold emphasis mine):

• Jay Tummelson at Rio Grande Games has posted one of his infrequent newsletters that update what you can expect to see from the U.S. publisher. The news falls into three buckets:
[...]
—Digital versions of existing games
-----Says Tummelson, "We have ... licensed Dominion's digital rights, and we expect it will be available in various forms by the end of the year. Race for the Galaxy will also appear in digital form in early 2012."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross G.
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Wisdom begins in wonder.
badge
Stale pastry is hollow succor to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
mbmbmbmbmb
He seems to be off by a few years...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZiggyZambo wrote:

Does this mean that the permissions granted to Keldon for his open-source program will become obsolete when this gets out?

I can see three probable outcomes:
- Keldon's program continues to be available as is, as long as it isn't ported to iDevices and other tablets
- The permission to use the official RftG visual property is revoked, leading to a need for brand new card art
- a Cease & Desist (but C&Ding open-sourced stuff can be difficult)

Rio Grande Games seems to have a pretty good reputation, but anyone knows what happened with previous games in this situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:
Rio Grande Games seems to have a pretty good reputation, but anyone knows what happened with previous games in this situation?

Given Dominion will happen first, i guess that will give us a good indication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly some promising news on both the RFTG (and Dominion) front and looking forward to hearing more.

1. What "forms" translates into? Is this iOS, Android, PC, Facebook or whichever platform you each are hoping for?

2. Online, AI, or both. I mention this as I thought I had seen on a Dominion thread a long time ago that a RGG Dominion implementation would NOT have AI. [Big BIG minus I feel]

3. If online can you play cross platform?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keldon Jones
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My agreement with Rio Grande giving me permission to distribute the program has a clause that revokes permission when/if an official digital version is released. So it's entirely possible that I'll need to take my program down in early 2012, unless I can get that agreement modified. If this new version is iPhone/iPad only, maybe I can swing that (I don't know anything beyond this news blurb about this new version).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, and there I was hoping that Rio Grande had been negotiating with you (and borgemik) to produce an iThing version with content that Apple would accept (wrt Open Source).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andyholt wrote:
Ah, and there I was hoping that Rio Grande had been negotiating with you (and borgemik) to produce an iThing version with content that Apple would accept (wrt Open Source).

You weren't the only one! Keldon has set the standard and I'm nervous that it might not be reached with this Andro-iOS-whatever thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
In other news, download Keldon's program now if you haven't already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
In other news, download Keldon's program now if you haven't already.

Got a link? What's it called?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Got a link? What's it called?

http://keldon.net/rftg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Neuhaus
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the new implementation going to be better than Keldon's? In particular, I am skeptical that some random 3rd party developer is going to make a higher quality AI.

Was the obvious thing of someone paying Keldon to own/improve his version considered?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZiggyZambo wrote:

I doubt that. IIRC all the software implementations that got temporarily approved went through Jay himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrenaud wrote:
Is the new implementation going to be better than Keldon's? In particular, I am skeptical that some random 3rd party developer is going to make a higher quality AI.

Was the obvious thing of someone paying Keldon to own/improve his version considered?
Well, typically with iOS, if something is going to be good, better than what's already out for other platforms, then it's certainly possible. You'll just have to pay for it is all.... perhaps even a "premium" price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Cooper
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to this, as I spend more time on the iPad these days than on the PC. That said, I feel vaguely disloyal for wanting this, as Keldon's program has soaked up more hours than most £39.99 video games I've played.

With no disrespect to Keldon, I suspect that the interface of an iPad version could be an improvement, given the tactile nature of the device and the expertise of a professional developer in terms of creating an arty, slick and polished look. But I'd be much happier if I knew it was running Keldon's AI under the hood. The notion that it might not even have AI would be more than enough to switch me off from buying it.

Strange that with all the work and fan support involved with the existing application that no-one from the developer thought to ask Keldon if they could pay him to port the AI aspect over to whatever they're doing. It's not like good AI programmers are cheap anyway, and it'd give the app a great deal of legitimacy with existing fans. If Keldon were to agree, of course

Wait and see on this one, I think...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Howell                (What's Right?) (What's Wrong?)        
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
Brought to you by Zik Zak
badge
Brought to you by Zik Zak
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that this is really old news, but is there any update on the licensed electronic version of Race for the Galaxy yet? Haven't heard anything since this post.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Work is proceeding on it. No official announcement from the implementing company has been made yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And... inofficial?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willy Schroers
Belgium
Sint-Niklaas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any update on the ipad version of RFTG?

I really like playing the game on the windows platform but an ipad version with the same AI would be awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Jansen
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Can I drive the bus?
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this on the iOS blog: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/20373/app-news-race-fo....

Apparently it's in beta, but I suspect it's a Goko version, not a dedicated iPad app, which, I agree, would be pretty sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim B
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goko/Making Fun's license for an iOS version of Dominion expires on 31st december 2016.
I wonder if it's also the case with RFTG... Can we expect an iOS of the game in 2017 (made by a new company)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.