Eugenio -
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say am an inexperienced player.
I can't find a reason to play State of Emergency.
Besides making you lose 1 resource, it gives ALL players one additional action, Cylon players included.
In my eyes, a single Cylon action in most cases is better than a single Human action, so I don't see the point in playing State of Emergency instead of just throwing it into a skill check.
Even friends in my gaming group, who are experienced players, avoid playing SoE.
I think maybe it could be useful in very specific circumstances.
What do you guys think about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It can be useful early in the game before there are revealed Cylons. If you have a revealed Cylon it depends on where he is. I wouldn't play it if he was on the Basestar Bridge but I might play it if he was on Caprica. Sure it's an extra crisis but it may also give us an extra jump icon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...or especially if the Cylons were on the Cylon Fleet location and there were no ships on the main board.

You can always play it early in the game when you hope all the players are human or that if there is a Cylon he'll prefer to wait it out and perform a useful action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Play it into a skill check where green is positive

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eu8L1ch wrote:
I have to say am an inexperienced player.
I can't find a reason to play State of Emergency.
Besides making you lose 1 resource, it gives ALL players one additional action, Cylon players included.
In my eyes, a single Cylon action in most cases is better than a single Human action, so I don't see the point in playing State of Emergency instead of just throwing it into a skill check.
Even friends in my gaming group, who are experienced players, avoid playing SoE.
I think maybe it could be useful in very specific circumstances.
What do you guys think about it?

--I've played the game enough times to see humans lose by Food.... however, those times have definitely been the exception than the norm, so the point, is Food is usually NOT a concern.
--Even if there are revealed cylon(s), there are always more humans than cylons, so you need to weigh 2 human actions vs. 1 cylon action, or 3 human actions vs 2 cylon actions
--As mentioned timing is also key.... if a location they're at isn't very useful given the situation, then go ahead and use it
--SoE can also be combined with XO to get even more actions (E.g., use SoE to move to a desired location, then someone else can XO that person to spam that location twice. Using only XOs would require 2 turns for that to happen.)
--if you're a Cylon Leader and need to reduce Food, SoE is the only direct way a CL can do that if the agenda calls for it
--If you suspect a CL needs food to be reduced before he can help humans more, go with playing SoE.

jozxyqk wrote:
Play it into a skill check where green is positive
Or have Kat use it to get an automatic die roll of '8'. However, if you suspect Red Tape around the corner, then it may be better to use it outside of a skill check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul King
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it is very situational, and I suspect that the main point is to take actions without drawing Crisis cards - which is usually not so good for the humans.

One use I can think of is to get a little extra time to destroy Cylon ships - with the Cylon Fleet Board in use, destroying Cylons can be quite important.

I have seen a situation that occurred in play where it might have been worthwhile. Two revealed Cylons and Centurions marching through Galactica at distance 3 and about to Jump - and with Boomer in play, as a human. Emergency Situation would have given the humans a chance to shoot Centurions without the risk of getting Heavy Raider activations or another Jump preparation (which would have put Boomer in the brig at a very bad time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to ask: why is an inexperienced player trying to deal with Exodus? Stick to the base game for a while. You are robbing yourself of a great experience by trying to add in Exodus too early. By the time you have sufficient experience to deal with Exodus, SoE will no longer present any questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
I have to ask: why is an inexperienced player trying to deal with Exodus? Stick to the base game for a while. You are robbing yourself of a great experience by trying to add in Exodus too early. By the time you have sufficient experience to deal with Exodus, SoE will no longer present any questions.

It sounds like the OP is getting into this game with his friends who are more experienced with it, and apparently like to have new players jump into the thick of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Flyboy Connor wrote:

It sounds like the OP is getting into this game with his friends who are more experienced with it, and apparently like to have new players jump into the thick of things.
We have this in a couple of our groups too..... some people don't mind just the base game, but have become so accustomed to both exp that it's hard to go back. I'm biased for the exps, but I'd say it's just as fun starting with exp and going to a base game later on after gaining experience.

I've had unamonous agreement from those who played without the CFB for the first time of "yeah, let's never play without the CFB. I like the CAC, but the CFB is just so much better"

I've even seen some more extreme situations where some have suggested AGAINST playing base game BSG UNTIL newbies play a few games of Shadows Over Camelot first. Their reasoning was: playing SOC, THEN BSG allowed them to better appreciate BSG, and that this was the way BSG should be introduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the consensus here. State of Emergency can be dangerous, and you don't want to do it blindly, but it is a really powerful card for getting the humans out of sticky situations. You need to evaluate the situation and know where the players who might use their free action to hurt you are located; evaluate what actions are at their disposal and determine how much harm they could really do from their current location. Then decide if the card is worth the play. Cylons don't tend to have a lot of actions on their cards that are hidden from view (unlike humans) so it isn't that hard to figure out the worst the cylons might do before you play the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
I've played it as an unrevealed Cylon to let my buddy on Basestar Bridge destroy Galactica. Does that count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
I've played it as an unrevealed Cylon to let my buddy on Basestar Bridge destroy Galactica. Does that count?
Yes and no. Yes b/c that is nice. No b/c I believe the OP is looking for pro-human uses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugenio -
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow there's already a bunch of replies! Thank you all
I can't answer one by one, but it seems almost everybody who commented here agrees on a couple of points:

-you have to keep in mind where all players are (especially cylons)
-it's situational and can backfire

I hadn't realised the importance of the first point, I think now I have something to base my choice upon next time I'll have a SoE in hand.

Obiouvsly the purpose of this thread was knowing how humans could benefit from SoE (aside from throwing it into a check or feeding it to Kat, which are both good uses I think); I think the same criteria apply to Cylons (look at where humans are the moment you're playing it)

@Dexter345

exactly this, never had the chance to play base game or pegasus only, that is I've never played without CFB for instance.

I would like to try the base game, but my friends think that both expansions are essential in order to have a good game.

sidenote:
this thread can spawn a sub-thread: how good is a cylon action [with CFB as a possibility] compared to another single human action?
It's true that SoE always gives humans at least one more action than Cylons, but considering how good CFB is, is one more action enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eu8L1ch wrote:
Wow there's already a bunch of replies! Thank you all
I can't answer one by one, but it seems almost everybody who commented here agrees on a couple of points:

-you have to keep in mind where all players are (especially cylons)
-it's situational and can backfire

I hadn't realised the importance of the first point, I think now I have something to base my choice upon next time I'll have a SoE in hand.

Obiouvsly the purpose of this thread was knowing how humans could benefit from SoE (aside from throwing it into a check or feeding it to Kat, which are both good uses I think); I think the same criteria apply to Cylons (look at where humans are the moment you're playing it)

@Dexter345

exactly this, never had the chance to play base game or pegasus only, that is I've never played without CFB for instance.

I would like to try the base game, but my friends think that both expansions are essential in order to have a good game.

sidenote:
this thread can spawn a sub-thread: how good is a cylon action [with CFB as a possibility] compared to another single human action?
It's true that SoE always gives humans at least one more action than Cylons, but considering how good CFB is, is one more action enough?

From the games I've played, BB isn't always the thing to do. Sometimes cylon plyaers move to Cylon Fleet to activate ships instead. If you can catch them there, then you won't have as much to worry about from SoE. Also, if it's near the end of the game, or about to jump, and they won't have another turn to unleash a build up on the humans, then that would also seem OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allison Macrae
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that SoE can be a powerful tool for either side, if used correctly, or misused. My group usually trys to play them before sleeper phase, or before we have more than one revealed cylon, to minimise the damage the cylon actions will give. Once there are two revealed cylons, we become a lot more cautious. Still, having a game where someone SoE's, then XO's a player on command, followed by that player getting an action, followed by any two of Main Batteries, Weapon Control, Pilot action + CAG action, President's Office, Communications or FTL, is pretty good. Even if locations aren't maximized, with one player on Command and the CAG in space, SoE + XO gets you 8 viper activations, plus probably one human action and one cylon action, or if you care about the Quorum you can get three President's Office activations, plus two human and one cylon action.

I like it for clearing the board pre-jump, especially if you have someone in FTL acting before the cylon, or spamming PO and Armory when you need them. Obviously, there are a number of times where it just gets put into a check, and sometimes where it screws the humans.

Best SoE I participated in was when I was Cavil, having fulfilled the conditions for my Humans Lose agenda, and was currently on Caprica, with a newly boarded Centurion. The player to my right had spiked the last skill check, and I implored him to reveal (his turn was next). When he did so, I used my action to move to the Cylon Fleet. A panicked Tigh failed to hit the Centurion, so next turn my cylon buddy joined me on the Cylon Fleet and moved the Centurion. My turn, bam, Aggresive Tactics, and the fastest boarding party win ever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gathraawn wrote:
Best SoE I participated in was when I was Cavil, having fulfilled the conditions for my Humans Lose agenda, and was currently on Caprica, with a newly boarded Centurion. The player to my right had spiked the last skill check, and I implored him to reveal (his turn was next). When he did so, I used my action to move to the Cylon Fleet. A panicked Tigh failed to hit the Centurion, so next turn my cylon buddy joined me on the Cylon Fleet and moved the Centurion. My turn, bam, Aggresive Tactics, and the fastest boarding party win ever.

This sounds awfully familiar... angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.