Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nenad Nikolic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About the game

RoboRally is a boardgame in which you are running your robot through checkpoints, trying to be the 1st to go through all checkpoints. Sounds easy, until you realize that factory floor, on which you are racing, affects your movement & your robot, and there are also other robots that want the 1st place themselves - and they will stop at nothing.

Mechanics

MODULAR BOARD:
Inside the box, you get several boards, that are printed on both sides, and that can be layered in so many ways. Also, you get a rulebook with several "pregenerated" scenarios that you can try out. Basically, you can have a lot of different setups, if you wish to tryout things, so it's not going to become boring easy .

CARD DRAFTING
:
To move robots around, you need to "program" them (even more interesting if you are, say, programmer ). For this, you are using cards that are randomly delt to each player each turn. Robots start with 9 "health", so until robot gets damaged, you are getting 9 cards, and using 5 (this both reduces effects of "random draw", and gives you a big variety on how you can play). Each time you get damaged, you reduce number of cards you receive by 1. When you get too much damage some of your "programs" get locked.

SIMULTANEOUS PLAYING
:
All players program their robots at the same time (possible actions are: move 1 space, move 2 spaces, move 3 spaces, move 1 space backwards, turn left, turn right and make U-turn). You have 5 programs that you need to order your robot to do. But as your robot gets more damaged, it becomes more difficult to program it, because you have fewer and fewer options. If it gets too damaged, some of your programs will become "locked" (instead of being able to change what your robot does each round, you will have to repeat previous actions).

The twist here is that when you are the last one to "still think how to set up his robot's actions", other players turn sand hour glass, and you have another 30 seconds or your robot's still unprogrammed actions will be random. This restricts all those "analysis-paralisis" people. Since I bought this game, our playgroup actually started using that hourglass on many other games too .

ORDER OF MOVING:
All robots move "1 program card at a time". Each card has, apart from action (move forward, turn, move backward...), speed rating. The fastest cards are moved first, the slowest last. In most cases this wouldn't matter, but sometimes it would. Also, after each program card, factory floor would "activate itself" - it can bump you 1 space, move you 1 or 2 spaces, turn you left or right, repair you, give you special weapons, shoot at you, etc. After that, each robot would shoot straight forward once. Damages are delt and noted on each robot, and then you can move to next program card. After all 5 program cards are resolved, you remove program cards if you are not damaged enough, or keep some of them if you are damaged (how many exactly depends on how much you are damaged). You are dealt new cards, and the next round begins.

QUALITY OF COMPONENTS

Gameborad is nicely painted, but it can "wrink" on the sides a bit by itself (hapenned to me - not too much, but I guess it could be manufactured better: all those other boardgames in my colection didn't have this problem ). Robots are plastic models that are prepainted into colour of metal and inked with black colour (people painting miniatures would know what I'm talking about ) - okish, but they could be painted better. Cards, both for programming your robots, weapons, etc., are standard gaming cards - let's say magic: the gathering equivalent. I would strongly recommend putting them in card protectors.

GAME AUDIENCE & OTHER NOTES

The game is neither too easy, neither too hard. It can be interesteing both to young kids, as well as adults (I would say it would be perfect for adults with kids ). And I would say it's neither "eurogame" nor "amerithrash". It is a bit of a "lighter" game, so if you are searching for something to put your brain to the limits - this is not the game for you. It is great if you want something lighter to pass your time by. Our gamegroup also uses it occasionally between 2 "more serious games". Since we are mostly hardcore gamers, this means that the game shouldn't be disregarded by them . The game has a lot of "fun" in it, and it is always a fun for us to play it.

Your robots have 3 "lives" to get through all the checkpoints, while blasting each other, using factory floor to your advantage, and trying to escape from those parts of the floor that work to your disadvantage.

I hope that this review would help you choose this game, and give you and your fellow gamers as much fun as it did to our group .

Thanks for your time reading this review, and happy racing .
Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This is a really fun game and you can make it easier or harder depending on the type of course you set up.The only drawback to this game is there is a bit of a runaway leader problem at times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vujovic
United States
Sugar Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
"The Leavetaking" - Michael Whelan planned for this piece to be a large "preliminary" to a new work in his Passage series that he would paint in oils. He wanted the design of the robe on the sand to suggest the drawing of water back into the sea.
badge
"Passage: The Avatar" - Initially inspired by a few notes from a Pink Floyd instrumental track, THE AVATAR came to Michael Whelan while he was floating in a sensory deprivation tank.
mbmbmbmbmb
jbetz45453 wrote:
This is a really fun game and you can make it easier or harder depending on the type of course you set up.The only drawback to this game is there is a bit of a runaway leader problem at times.

There are many ways to alleviate the runaway leader issue in RoboRally, including having flags at opposite ends of the boards, so that robots will have to "criss-cross" the factory floor to tag the flags in order. This maximizes robot interaction and makes it more difficult for the leader to navigate to the next checkpoint. Also, you can mine each flag, so that the leader (and thus the first to touch the next checkpoint) takes guaranteed damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Robo Rally! I wish I could get people to play it more often. I've been to Robo Rally marathons where we had 6 games of RR going simultaneously. You can also play it online at Game Table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Jones
United States
Niantic
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about the difficulty being neither too easy nor too hard. It's a game that can be played and appreciated by hard-core gamers and casual gamers alike. It's also extemely versatile in that it plays 2-8, and you can make the game as short or long as you like with different board and flag setups. So it's really a sort of one-size-fits-all game.

One thing worth mentioning is that for most folks, the fun is in the chaos of robots inadvertently bumping each other off course and [not so inadvertently] shooting each other. To take best advantage of this, the game should be played with 5 or more players.

I personally love RoboRally and am always willing to play it. Our group has played it 8 times in total, including just this week (first time in 2011). We had a blast. In fact, one player had never played the game before and he liked it so much that he bought his own copy the following day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.