Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I just wanted to show off a little project I recently completed. I am a fan of the Blue Moon card game (I have 2 complete sets - including all of the expansion decks), and after having recently sleeved the cards I realised that they would no longer fit back into their original boxes.

So I decided I would have a go at making a custom box for the storage of all the 22 sleeved decks. I also decided to add a section for the game board, dragon figures and rule book, and another section to store two customised decks, should I find myself using that particular mode of play.

I decided to use foamboard, mainly because I do not yet have the tools (nor the skill) to work with wood, and also because I believe foamboard to be quite forgiving. I found this to be true for this project, especially as I cut everything freehand with an exacto knife. I used a glue gun as my adhesive of choice for this box.

So although the finished box is quite large, and somewhat heavy, it was designed for storage not transport.

Here's a rundown of what I did (with lots of pics), and how it turned out:

1. The walls of the box laid out:

2. The walls assembled, showing the basic shape. Decks to go in the larger area, rules etc. in the smaller:

3. Some example pieces which will form the slots for the decks:

4. The walls have been glued to the floor, and I've started inserting the pieces to create the deck slots. I tried one deck to test, and it's a good fit!:

5. I realised here that if I kept building the larger side, I may make the smaller side too squashy. So I decided to build the inner walls for the smaller side:

6. The deck slots are coming together:

7. Here (top right of box), I've put in the slots for the custom decks, then cut a piece of foamboard to glue on top for a smoother look I guess:

8. I've put in some walls in the lower section as they will have raised floors for the game board and dragon figures to sit on:

9. The game board and dragon figures go in, then the rules sit nicely on top:

10. Next, I've glued a thin carboard strip down the middle of the decks. I then printed colour stickers for each of the decks and placed them alongside their respective decks:

11. All the decks and bits and pieces are in, and they all fit!:

12. Time to make a lid. As the box is fairly large, I couldn't create a lid with sides that go all the way down. However I made them as long as I could and the lid is functional enough!:

13. Finally, I painted the lid black, printed some stickers with the Blue Moon logo and I'm quite happy with the result:

Well, thanks for looking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the cost of the project? And did you get all the supplies from Clark Rubber?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bulldozers
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smittenkitten wrote:
What was the cost of the project? And did you get all the supplies from Clark Rubber?

The foamboard, cardboard for the lid and adhesive paper I got from Officeworks.

The glue gun - I got a cheap one from Bunnings.

Adding it up it was about $85 for the stuff I had to buy. Hmm doesn't feel like I paid that much, probably because I didn't buy it all at once!

But I'm happy with what I've got.

Plus there is some satisfaction with having completed the project and achieving exactly what I needed with the storage of the game! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what you mean about not feeling as though you'd paid much *glares at my DYI hobbies* laugh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.