Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We need a contest to create a game that will fit in a little baggie that's small enough to put in trick or treat bags. That would be awesome. Perhaps a themed PnP contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
It would probably have to be super simple no? I wouldn't think making a mega complex game would work - even a rule explanation would be a bit heavy going? Also, would it be based at the kids yeah? Non-adult and non-gamer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
We need more cowbell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jegan22280 wrote:
We need a contest to create a game that will fit in a little baggie that's small enough to put in trick or treat bags. That would be awesome. Perhaps a themed PnP contest.

That is SCARY! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
jegan22280 wrote:

As an adult gamer I give you a thumbs up. As the parent of children I hope to inspire a love of gaming, I give you a thumbs up.

BUT ... as someone who remembers trick or treating as a little kid, no thumbs up. Anything that is not edible should not go into my trick or treat bag. And to be honest, it should be edible AND bad for you.

It is a great idea, but it is kinda like giving a 6 year old clothes for Christmas.

edited to clarify my belief that games are great AND so is Halloween candy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaiah Tanenbaum
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you gave it out WITH candy you might not get your house egged...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously the game pieces should be candy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:

Thinking the same idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Thalatha. Board is just a 3x3 grid, and each player has just 3 pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Thalatha. With Candy!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The current Microgame contest fits that, as in a way did most of the games for the One Sticker Sheet contest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A game were you literally eat your oponent pieces (candies) would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Mestdagh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
The current Microgame contest fits that, as in a way did most of the games for the One Sticker Sheet contest.

Except for the whole problem of it needing two sheets for a board.

I am currently rethinking my idea for a simple zombie game so that it can include the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Fight!
The free Cheapass game with rules so short they fit on a business card.
It is a good game.
And you could include some coins to play with it in your ziplock trick-or-treat bag.

Also you could make some Button Men. Cheapass probably has other small free games too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rshipley wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OHMS Gaming

Florida
msg tools
To conserve space why not use things that they likely already have; ie deck of cards, d6, candy, etc. This in addition to some small pieces that can be handed out with a simple rule card.

This (cards or candy) both immediately bring to mind gambling or some betting system. BUT, why not have them put candy into a pool and give some smaller rewards each turn (thus not representing a steady betting but a one time 'ante'). There should also be an 'attrition' rate to the candy (each turn each player eats a piece of candy) and some simple victory conditions.

Certain cards could be set to serve certain functions (Jack - force your opponent to eat a piece of candy of your choice; shorten that up and make it a bit more simple) - so a sort of drinking game for kids with candy replacing booze. hahahaha (booze and betting, that's what we will contribute to our youth!)

Hmm... actually, a simple match based comparative component could be good for each turn (comparing hands). But, with 2d6 they're capable of getting 1-12 also (with 7 being the most frequent). So they could draw a card or roll the dice - and some cards could have 'negative' effects as well (put 1 piece of candy back into the middle... or into your opponent's pile). Along with the attrition idea (eat one piece each turn) they could give up the chance to eat their candy for a reroll of the dice (or card redraw); deciding at the beginning of the turn. Thus rewarding a sort of investment system.

Oh... and Cheese Weasel Logistics's game "Death by Dice" can also be put into baggies and is simple, quick, and fun.

Ok... that's enough from me for now. If this does turn into a contest I'm totally using this as a basis for my submission. lol If not, it may be a good start for everyone.

Gary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElCid91 wrote:
jegan22280 wrote:

As an adult gamer I give you a thumbs up. As the parent of children I hope to inspire a love of gaming, I give you a thumbs up.

BUT ... as someone who remembers trick or treating as a little kid, no thumbs up. Anything that is not edible should not go into my trick or treat bag. And to be honest, it should be edible AND bad for you.

It is a great idea, but it is kinda like giving a 6 year old clothes for Christmas.

edited to clarify my belief that games are great AND so is Halloween candy.

I get the point you're making, but it isn't totally accurate. Case in point: If I start tossing Pokemon boosters into bags, I'll be the most popular stop in my neighborhood (at least in my area)

Also, Chocolate coins + Pennywise looks like a winner here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could contact
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He does all the Aether stuff. He just designed a board game that fits on 3 cards for his FLGS owner to send out to his best customers at Christmas. it fits on 3 cards and will be uploaded to Artscow where the owner can buy a deck and get 18 copies of the game. He might be up to the challenge considering he's pumped out like 20 games in 2 years and more than half are quite good.

Or you could build your own on say 1 or 2 cards. If 1 than you have 54 boards for 10.99. Not bad. And fun to give out. Also, provide the website www.boardgamegeek.com on the card so they are converted at a young age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogentesque wrote:
It would probably have to be super simple no? I wouldn't think making a mega complex game would work - even a rule explanation would be a bit heavy going? Also, would it be based at the kids yeah? Non-adult and non-gamer?
Fluxx to the rescue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I'm from Sweden I didn't thought about what it was. And the candy stuff.

I thought more in the line of a fish pond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Theres allways Zombie in My Pocket. That takes up very little space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Omega2064 wrote:
Theres allways Zombie in My Pocket. That takes up very little space.

I thought of that, but the theme seems a little mature and the gameplay a little heavy. Not the kind of thing you wanna drop in an 8tr old's cany bucket. Plus, there's no candy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairytale in my Pocket then? whistle

Though Zombie in my Pocket could easily be rethemed to kids exploring a haunted house and dodging ghosts or wandering scarecrows.

As for the rules. They aren't much more complex than most other board games kids play. And they could be simplified further. As for using candy. hmmmm. Well you could use like candy corn as the life points. Eat one every time a creature catches you.

I'd steer away from a game that actually relies on candy components unless they are like MnMs or such that are readily availible after Halloween. Bemusingly a bottle of the MnM Minis came with a little board game to play a sort of Checkers variant with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Slappy Hands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Egan
United States
Fort Myers
FL - Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:

THIS!

I can get the stick hands easy enough, and I can toss 5 chocolate coins in the baggie!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.