Infidel» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reaction Fire and Charges rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sagar Kumaraswamy
England
Leeds
flag msg tools
I have quick question regarding reaction fire and charges.

Lets say I have three infantry units, two archers sandwiching a pike unit.

Then my opponent charges with a Knight the pike in its front left. According to the charge rules the Knight only has to fight the Pike.

My question is to confirm the archer is able to perform reaction fire?

Secondly if we assume the foor units are in such a orientation that when the Knight charges, it enters th frontal hexes of both archers, would both be able to reaction fire.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi qubilai2001,

I took the liberty to answer you since I recently bought Infidel, and yesterday night I was reading the rules in the charge section.

According to your example, what I understand is the archer can make reaction fire, since the enemy Knight is moving to the archer's ZOC, and the reaction fire happens when an enemy unit moves into the Archer/Crossbowmen ZOC which are the two front hexes. Once the reaction fire is completed and if the Knight is not disordered by it, then can charge the pike unit. The Knight units do not roll for Charge Reluctance.

In the second example it cannot be a charge, since the rules indicate that a charging Knight or Heavy Cavalry unit cannot move through an enemy ZOC before entering the hex adjacent to the intended target.

Speaking again of the second example about the reaction fire, I think both archers can make reaction fire since the enemy Knight is moving through the ZOC/front hexes of both of them. Of course, it is more advisable to find another approach for the Knight, otherwise will be exposed to two reaction fires at close range and with chances of getting the 'angled fire' modifier against mounted units as well.

As said I am new to this game (back in June I bought Infidel's sister game Men of Iron), and would like to hear the authorized opinions from other fellow gamers with more experience in this exciting and awesome game, so all of us can learn a little more about it.

Regards,

Jumval
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
Juan has it correct in the first case and didn't picture the one case where the second could apply.

Reaction Fire happens whenever an enemy unit enters the Frontal Hexes of an Archer during Movement or Charges, per 11.2.

A PK A
KN

is a pictoral display of your scenario.

There is one hex that would be adjacent to both Archers and the Pike that the Knights could Charge through due to the rule prohibitting Charges through enemy ZOC. See pictogram below. In this case, with the correct facings by the Archers, the Knight would suffer Reaction Fire from both, per 11.2. The Reaction Fire is handled sequentially, so first one Archer fires and the results are applied, then the other Archer would fire and the results applies. The Knights should charge one of the Archers instead.

A PK
KN A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sagar Kumaraswamy
England
Leeds
flag msg tools
Thanks for the responses.

We were playing it correctly!!

It was my first proper game against a human opponent and we were a bit confused by the rule that the charge can only target one enemy unit. Since the archer was not the target of the charge, could it reaction fire?

We read the fire rules and figured the archer wouldn't care if it were the target or not and would fire anyway (Wouldn't you!).

Sagar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Prat
Belgium
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
qubilai2001 wrote:

It was my first proper game against a human opponent...

Sagar

Mmm wondering what other types of opponents do you have available in your area....maybe klingon, vulcan...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
I think human was clearly an upgrade from the cat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.