Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Contemplating various expansions, I see that the Lord of Darkness at the end of the Dungeon has stats of 12. That seems like a lot. But not having played, there could be a lot I'm missing. So, what's the story?

A) Its a really bad idea to go fight the Lord of Darkness.

B) Its a good option for characters with lots of combat boosts but stats that aren't good enough to get through the Portal of Power and Crypt/Mines.

C) The Alternate Endings require a lot higher stats than the normal game.

D) It should be a bad idea, but lots of players build their stats up much higher than they actually need them to be.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cinotti
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He is not insurmountable, but I've found he generally serves two purposes:

1) You are close enough (stat-wise) to take him and get one of his treasures, a feat in itself.

2) Someone is making a run for the Crown of Command, etc. and you decide to rush through the Dungeon and take out the LoD in order to catch them. If you beat him by enough, you subtract his score from yours and the better you do, the better the chance you have of exiting at the Crown space itself. Someone correct me if I am wrong on the subtraction part, haven't played in a bit and the game itself is not in front of me.

The Dungeon is a shortcut to greater stats and treasure, but not without risk. I've seen players rush in at the start of the game, and it ends up being a shortcut to needing a new character!

Hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking over my stats, 78 plays with the Dungeon expansion in the mix, LoD has been fought 24 times (just under once every three games). Nobody's ever lost against him and beating LoD -> Crown of Command (meaning defeating him by 8+) has happened 12 times.

Best LoD beaters have been: Amazon/Gladiator (3), Ogre Chieftain/Necromancer/Thief (2). Only three of the 24 combats have been psychic combats. If I had to pick one character to take on the LoD, Ogre Chieftain without hesitation. He doesn't even need to boost his stats, just collect Monsters as Followers, head into the Dungeon (usually cashing some Followers in while in there to collect bigger Followers) and get to the end, cash in 15-20+ Str points worth on Followers on one attack and start casting that Command Spell. OC can beat the LoD by 8+ in about 25 minutes with a bit of luck on the Adventure card draws and reach the CoC with his starting stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Gutowski
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmb
In a regular game with no alternate endings, you'll get better results attacking crown of command using inner region route, because you can go there while having 8-9 higher stat and a few fate/life to spare. But the matter is different if you play with hidden ending.You can either take a risk (which I prefer) and lose a game if the ending is fight oriented, or you can grind for stats and lower the potential risk (which other players that I play with prefer).

Dungeon is best for grinding because:
a) it is much MUCH safer than main board once you have stats around 8 or higher. This is because you win almost every fight and no cards can harm you, while in the main board you can get killed by basilisk, you can get turned into toad etc.
b) you gain stats really quickly. You enter the dungeon to gain just two more craft and suddenly you got two more before you leave the board.

If you are already there, why not attack the boss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! These are interesting responses. Rauli, you sure keep detailed stats

Still not sure what to think. This:

Quote:
In a regular game with no alternate endings, you'll get better results attacking crown of command using inner region route, because you can go there while having 8-9 higher stat and a few fate/life to spare.

puts me off. We just played with the Highland set for the first time last night, drew the Eagle King alternate ending, and decided to redraw because it was such a lousy ending that was really going to drag the game out.

The Ogre Chieftain actually sounds problematic with dungeon...

I suppose its all a bit irrelevant to me, since there's no way we'll be able to fit another board on the table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Thanks! These are interesting responses. Rauli, you sure keep detailed stats

Hehe, my thread about Talisman and stats:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/402911/my-talisman-stati...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.