Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Ahern
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a tie today and we're discussing potential tie-breakers. Here's a few we came up with:

1. Most money
2. Highest card
3. Lowest card
4. Most cards
5. Least cards

What do you think? Personally, I like Highest Card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most money is the most obvious. I'm pretty sure that's what we've been using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is inspired by a poem. Given the inspiration, it makes sense not to break ties at all. So that's the official rule.

BookandGame wrote:

What do you think? Personally, I like Highest Card.

If both players have Crowns, I guess it would go to Most Crowns... then to Most 9s... and so on.

Without the tie-breaker, an Ace and 2s strategy is just as good as a Crowns and 9s strategy. So it breaks the tie according to something that isn't otherwise a strategic element in the game.

Accumulating money is already part of the game, so players should be watching it regardless of ties. Most Money as a tie-breaker seems more closely connected to the strategy of the game. (Whether or not this is decisive depends on what you want from the tie-breaker.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another thought: The tie-breaker could be most positive points, just counting your three most numerous suits. This would favour players who played aggressively and took some penalties.

An alterative would be to have the tie-breaker be fewest negative points. This is exactly the opposite of the prior suggestion, and would favour conservative players who avoided penalty suit cards.

These both connect to the strategic dynamic of the game, but they pull in opposite directions. Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like "most positive". Encourages bidding on the lots that are "washes", which is about the only dynamic the game is currently missing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK then! "Most positive" is now the official tie breaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.