Subject: 20 points for victory... feeling it is too little fro 1v1 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pompom pompom
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello,

Played 5/6 games with my wife, enjoyed it, although I prefer euro, but we feel 20 is by far too little.
That does not leave you any time to build you "deck" it is already over.

I thought I would find other post related to that in variants or general forum.

Any other people feeling the same? Or the general consensus is that 20 is just fine? In term of fun and strategy. Short game make it more luck based on one good/bad roll.

Poll
For 1v1 what number of points would seems the most enjoyable to you?
20 as stated by the rules.
more
      54 answers
Poll created by pompom2309

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Kelsey
United States
Unspecified
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're having bad rolls, you want the game over soon so you can try again. If you're having good rolls, you want to quickly win so you can gloat - and then try again. 20 is just right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fine with 20, but a longer game, like 40, would be nice from time to time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing the game with my children and love it. But, they like to be able to acquire more dice and actually have a chance to use them (me too). But sometimes the games end way too quick. The first time I played with my daughter, she wanted to keep playing after I scored 20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play to 40 and it works great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:

40 points for a two player game would be great. The other problem i've seen is when 4 piles run out of dice. For longer games, we might increase that number to 5,6, or maybe 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zugli wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:

40 points for a two player game would be great. The other problem i've seen is when 4 piles run out of dice. For longer games, we might increase that number to 5,6, or maybe 7.

The most piles we have run out of in a 40 point 2 player game has been 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:

My daughter and I just finished a 40-point game, and it was a blast, a lot of dice were acquired, allowing for an enjoyable game. My daughter had about a 20 point lead and got stuck on 39. My last turn I scored 3 creatures for 8 points going from 32 to 40 points for a victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zugli wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:

My daughter and I just finished a 40-point game, and it was a blast, a lot of dice were acquired, allowing for an enjoyable game. My daughter had about a 20 point lead and got stuck on 39. My last turn I scored 3 creatures for 8 points going from 32 to 40 points for a victory.

Harsh dad! Teaching her the pain of defeat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luds wrote:
Zugli wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:

Harsh dad! Teaching her the pain of defeat!

The sad thing is I didn't mean to win, I had a spell dice that boost my level up one and that helped me beat her dragon (she had all the dragon dice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wood
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
whew! Are those my only choices? I think 25-30 is a better extension.

Honestly the game being short isn't awful to me. When the game is short.. sure it means someone could win quickly. But it also means you can play again or play another game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Drebing
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOriginalJwoo wrote:
whew! Are those my only choices? I think 25-30 is a better extension.

Honestly the game being short isn't awful to me. When the game is short.. sure it means someone could win quickly. But it also means you can play again or play another game.

The shortness of the game isn't really what bothers me, it's not having a greater chance to obtain more creatures and spells and actually being able to use them before the game ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken P

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found that when I played to 40 we reached a point where we didn't want/need to purchase new dice because of our strategies. This is not bad thing per se, but each turn was less exciting thereafter. But, I can see the fun of having tons of creatures and spells to choose from though if we had kept capturing dice. So I think playing to 25-30 might be the sweet spot.
goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Psysicist wrote:
I found that when I played to 40 we reached a point where we didn't want/need to purchase new dice because of our strategies. This is not bad thing per se, but each turn was less exciting thereafter. But, I can see the fun of having tons of creatures and spells to choose from though if we had kept capturing dice. So I think playing to 25-30 might be the sweet spot.
goo

That sounds about right to me as well, I'll have to give this a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dedeaux
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Psysicist wrote:
I found that when I played to 40 we reached a point where we didn't want/need to purchase new dice because of our strategies.

What if you added a rule where you could buy a VP for every 3 (?) Quiddity spent. This might speed the game up a bit near the end, but you're already going to 40, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
20 is very good. The game is quite balanced, length-wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.