Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Salata
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off this is an amazing site, I must haev spent several days looking though it before I decided to post anything.

Anyhow, I'm looking for some good co-op games, maybe I'm a wuss and don't like losing, but I think games are more fun when the players work together to reach a common goal. At least I think they would be. I play RPG's and I enjoy the way that everyone wins together as a group. Before I start to sound any more lame I'll just shut up. TIA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Start by looking at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15062

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/823 (not to be confused with http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/6352)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I am the wasp / that burrows in! I am the shriek / of twilight din!
mbmbmb
Vanished Planet is another co-op game:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/7240

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...since you're a new user (welcome to the Geek!) and you haven't rated any games yet, it's hard to guess what you might like/dislike. I'll provide some of the more obvious (and recently-published) choices in the co-op genre:

Shadows over Camelot - a good game, but I prefer some of the others listed below.

Lord of the Rings (2000) - a good game, but I prefer some of the others listed below.

Arkham Horror - I haven't played this yet, but UPS has my copy on the way.

Battlestations - since you've stated that you enjoy RPGs, this might be a natural (one person plays the enemy side)

Doom - as an RPG player, you might enjoy this also (one person plays the invaders)

Duel of Ages - a personal favorite of mine, but not exactly cooperative as there are two sides or teams. Though, I consider this a cooperative game as you must work together as a team in order to win. Might also be a fit with your RPG background.

When Darkness Comes - a light, horror rpg/boardgame. Requires a GM of sorts.

Vanished Planet (I haven't played this yet, so I can't vouch for it)

Descent: Journeys in the Dark - not published yet, but this looks to be one of the strongest, light RPG/boardgames to be published in a long time.

That should be enough to get you started. Read some of the reviews here on the Geek and see what fits your tastes. One of the most important things here on the Geek is to learn to put more weight behind the reviews/opinions of those folks who share the same taste in games as you. There are a bunch of outspoken people on this site. Many of those people (people who only like Euro-style games, for instance) will bash these types of games because they have "too much luck" or game mechanics that aren't "elegant". While their opinions should be considered, don't put too much weight behind them if you are pre-disposed to liking these types of games.

Hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Salata
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the speedy replies. Looking into them currently.

jim.brooks10 wrote:
Well...since you're a new user (welcome to the Geek!) and you haven't rated any games yet, it's hard to guess what you might like/dislike.

The reason I havent rated any games is because I'm new to board games in general, aside from the types of games I played as a kid monopoly, stratego, the occasional game of risk, ect. The closest thing to board games that I cuurently play would be dungeons and dragons or magic the gathering, I guess warhammer and 40k too. So I guess to partially answer your question I like fantasy themed games, which I see you've suggested many of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Salata
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any recomendations on where to purchase games online, they just closed the only hobby shop in town that sold these types of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R S
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered from Thoughthammer and had excellent service/speed. A few weeks back I ordered from Newspiel and had great service as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always found www.timewellspent.org to have great service and very good prices.

Check out http://www.michaelareed.com/boardgamesearch/ for a place where you can compare prices of various online stores.

Welcome to the 'Geek! goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Add another vote for Shadows Over Camelot. Good design, great production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Without a doubt you NEED to pick up Arkham Horror.

Sure, it is new and has piqued the curiosity and love of many on BGG just for that matter - and so precisely because of that, some here will bash it because they think that is the most even-handed response to games with rocket to the fore.

But the game is really very well done: it is gorgeous, it is cooperative with as little as 2 players, it's steeped in theme (for you RPG lovers out there), players make individual choices (unlike what can often happen with LOTR or SoC where 1 person can dominate the overall strategy of the group) and there seems to be a good mix of smart playing, luck, & replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot more than what has been posted here so far. Check out the geeklists under the cooperative_games geektag:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=viewtagged...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Salata
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wtrollkin2000 wrote:
There are a lot more than what has been posted here so far. Check out the geeklists under the cooperative_games geektag:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=viewtagged...

Yeah I looked at that before I even posted but its an overwhelming list and I though it would be better to get some suggestions buy some games and see what I really like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Moulton Jr.
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there, some of the suggestions that I like are

Shadows over Camelot- Great theme, easy to learn but complex at the same time. It also has very well made parts, and takes up to 7 players.

Lord Of the Rings by Fantasy Flight Games is another great co-op game. Simalar to Shadows over Camelot, but with a LOTR theme.

I will take a look and see what else I can dig up.

Colors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Salata
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I ordered shadows over camelot today and a friend of mine is lending me a copy of settlers of catan which i know isnt co-op but seems to be very popular. I'll play through both a few times and form my opinions from there. Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Brooks
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Some are born to move the world To live their fantasies But most of us just dream about The things we'd like to be Sadder still to watch it die Than never to have known it For you, the blind who once could see The bell tolls for thee...
mbmbmbmbmb
I-Sod wrote:
Well I ordered shadows over camelot today and a friend of mine is lending me a copy of settlers of catan which i know isnt co-op but seems to be very popular. I'll play through both a few times and form my opinions from there. Thanks for your advice and suggestions.

Shadows is a good game. Though, if you & your friends are more "hard-core" RPG players, you might be wanting something with a little more "meat" to it. I like Shadows, but it's a game that I'll be playing mostly with my family. It's fun, but there's really not that much to it.

You might want to check out Battlestations, Arkham Horror, Duel of Ages, Doom, etc. for your next purchase if you find that Shadows is too light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With a rating of 7.32 this game called "Aliens" fits the bill too!
I admit that is oop (out of print) and you must look on Ebay or for a geekster willing to trade this in case you're interested.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/1770

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.