Popular Tags: [View All]
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am on the planning committee for two 70-80 person meetings at my work.

The idea that we're working with is to create a Murder Mystery, where everyone at the meeting plays a role in solving the mystery.

I need your help brainstorming ideas for the story line, creating characters and figure out the mechanics of the meeting.

Due to the popularity of Vampires right now, the committee wants to use them as the main antagonists, but having two teams (vamps vs ww's) is totally acceptable as well.

Does anyone have any ideas or want to work on this with me? I need to present next Monday, October 3rd a bunch of ideas.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Re: I need you help, please! Massive Murder Mystery to plan.
That sounds awesome. I will brainstorm some ideas on my bus ride home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Re: I need you help, please! Massive Murder Mystery to plan.
This is more game than mystery, but what about some kind of conversion/infection mechanic? Start with a small group of vampires who don't know each other but know some kind of secret handshake. If vampires identify each other and outnumber a human 3-1 in a small group, they convert that human. But if they try the same tactic on a werewolf then they get mauled and can't try to convert for another 5 minutes. Would have to be enforced via honor system. Trust-building?

But for an actual plot/mystery...still gotta think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
I went out there in search of experience, to taste and to touch and to feel as much, as a man can before he repents...
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
This is more game than mystery, but what about some kind of conversion/infection mechanic? Start with a small group of vampires who don't know each other but know some kind of secret handshake. If vampires identify each other and outnumber a human 3-1 in a small group, they convert that human. But if they try the same tactic on a werewolf then they get mauled and can't try to convert for another 5 minutes. Would have to be enforced via honor system. Trust-building?

I do like that idea. But how would someone win the game as good? How would they find the "head vampire" to end the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Belash wrote:
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:

I do like that idea. But how would someone win the game as good? How would they find the "head vampire" to end the game?

Off the top of my head: by tracing the line of succession back up to the original starting vampires.

Maybe certain villagers are Vampire Hunters. If they are cornered by the vampires, they are not converted. Instead they remain human and get to ask one of the vampires in the group who "sired" them. Rinse and repeat to follow back up to one of the originals.

Downsides: kind of boring for the regular villagers. They need something to do too.

Another idea: people are able to group up in angry mobs to find monsters. In groups of 5, they can corner another person to ask if they are currently a vampire/werewolf. The target must answer truthfully unless they recognize another vampire/werewolf hidden within the mob. If caught, a monster must provide the name of his progenitor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mb
One way to keep everyone involved regardless of what you do is to give everyone some sort of guess at something at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
Belash wrote:
I am on the planning committee for two 70-80 person meetings at my work.

The idea that we're working with is to create a Murder Mystery, where everyone at the meeting plays a role in solving the mystery.

I need your help brainstorming ideas for the story line, creating characters and figure out the mechanics of the meeting.

Due to the popularity of Vampires right now, the committee wants to use them as the main antagonists, but having two teams (vamps vs ww's) is totally acceptable as well.

Does anyone have any ideas or want to work on this with me? I need to present next Monday, October 3rd a bunch of ideas.

Thanks!

Are you just looking for werewolf related mechanics or are other group activities, a la scavenger hunts and puzzle quests also allowed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Effinger
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
So I recently heard of the concept of a "Werewolf Party", in which everyone has a piece of string or something tied to their back, and during the day phase as people walk around and chat with each other wolves try to murder villagers by removing the string from their back. Then every X minutes (45?) or so the village gets together and lynches someone.

I found the concept interesting - unlikely to work in a 70-80 group, but possibly could be modified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The basic idea is that one to several people are going to be responsible for the death of the General Manager.

Each person attending the meeting will be given a role to play. On their role card it will give their role name, their relation to the General Manager, possibly a hint as to where to look for the people responsible for killing the General Manager, possibly a request to wear something to the meeting and possibly a way to act when certain things are mentioned during the meeting (for example if the word NetWin is said, certain people must stand up and look around). Before the meeting begins people can chat and gather information. As the meeting progresses people will be given time to walk around and mingle continuing to ask questions. Furthermore, the killer(s) will be able to continue to kill one or two people every 15 minutes or every break...

I like the idea of the Vampires/killers having a secret handshake to find each other. That could be neat.

What I need:

Story idea (though it could just be people in a small village)

The story behind the General Manager and who she was, who could have killed her... call her the Mayor.

People in the village.

Clues that lead to the killer... Lots of them. But one or two, even three clues together should mean nothing to most people.

There was talk of several Psychics, but they're visions aren't always true.

Mechanics of how it's run. How do the Vamps kill/convert. Will there be cops for questioning? What other roles can there be in the game?

That getting better/more understandable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I was considering running an ongoing Assassin-type game around my office, calling it "Office Assassin". Nearly everyone has cell phones with cameras nowadays, so I was going to use that as the kill weapon. Send a text message to the moderator with a picture of the face of your victim to gain a point and get another target. A few players might get the role of "cop" and gain points by identifying assassins and their targets, but not actually be targeting anyone.

The game concept is a swing from the direction that you're headed, but the idea of cell phone cameras for evils to make the kill might be a viable piece. Perhaps seers can use the same mechanism to ID wolf/not wolf, but also would want to be discrete to not arouse suspicion that they might be the wolves selecting the NK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walker
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
"The significance of a person's life is determined by the story they believe themselves to be in." - Wendell Berry "If nothing lies beyond the pale of death, then nothing of value lies before it." - SMBC
badge
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song, the joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue. Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last, has won my affection and bound my soul fast.
mbmbmbmbmb
Belash wrote:
What I need:

Simple is best to my mind, at least in the live format. It's easier to have complex storylines when it's all there, written, and people have multiple days to think about it online.

Quote:
The story behind the General Manager and who she was, who could have killed her... call her the Mayor.

Maybe something about her that kept the vampires back? Or she knew something the vampires need to know?

Quote:
People in the village.

Clues that lead to the killer... Lots of them. But one or two, even three clues together should mean nothing to most people.

Vampires could have some restriction on who they recruit. Some characteristic about the person that isn't known, but it is known that something exists. As vampires are found, the characteristic could be used to backtrack up to the big bad guy.

Quote:

Psychics might have information, ie, "Vampires have a secret handshake".

Other powers are possible too. Ask someone a yes/no question they have to answer truthfully. Demand to see someone's role card (single use). Things like that.

Quote:
Mechanics of how it's run. How do the Vamps kill/convert. Will there be cops for questioning?

The idea of vampires cornering someone to convert them is cool, but you'd have to give other roles reason to want to do the same as well.

Quote:
What other roles can there be in the game?

Masons that have a secret handshake but aren't vampires.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIOT
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twomillionbucks wrote:
Belash wrote:
What I need:

Simple is best to my mind, at least in the live format. It's easier to have complex storylines when it's all there, written, and people have multiple days to think about it online.

The first question I had was how complex you wanted the story to be (do you want a twist, etc.). Something I thought of story-wise, was that Mayor GM's son/daughter was being influenced by the vampires and was a key factor in the GM's death. Clues could point towards the son/daughter as being the obvious (way too obvious) killer, but underlying clues (odd things that don't add up) point towards the vampires.

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe something about her that kept the vampires back? Or she knew something the vampires need to know?

Holding the vampires back is good. The story could also be that the vampires needed the son/daughter's assistance in killing the Mayor.

Quote:
Quote:
People in the village.

Vampires could have some restriction on who they recruit. Some characteristic about the person that isn't known, but it is known that something exists. As vampires are found, the characteristic could be used to backtrack up to the big bad guy.

The second most difficult thing I see is the shear number of people involved. Are you wanting all 70-80 people to have named roles, abilities, backstories, etc.?

Easiest "group" to resist the vampires would be the local church congregation.

Quote:
Quote:

Psychics might have information, ie, "Vampires have a secret handshake".

Other powers are possible too. Ask someone a yes/no question they have to answer truthfully. Demand to see someone's role card (single use). Things like that.

I like this.

Quote:
Quote:
Mechanics of how it's run. How do the Vamps kill/convert. Will there be cops for questioning?

The idea of vampires cornering someone to convert them is cool, but you'd have to give other roles reason to want to do the same as well.

This could work for the church group. They're wanting to gain members to their church. Perhaps allow them the ability to convert as well.

If a church doesn't work, it could be a vampire hunting cult.

[/b]
Quote:
What other roles can there be in the game?

Masons that have a secret handshake but aren't vampires. [/q]

I really like this as well. Maybe give the church/cult a phrase to identify themselves, but have a 3rd party with a handshake greeting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Building off of some of these ideas, how about a small group of vampires to start, and also a small secret society of vampire hunters? Both the vampires and the hunters can convert a villager if they isolate him with 3+ members of their group.

If a vampire is cornered by 3+ hunters they are killed instead of being converted. Likewise if a hunter is cornered by 3+ vampires.

So if either of the groups isolate someone not in their group they force the person to show them their card. If the person shows a villager card it's replaced by a card of their group. If they show a card of the opposite group they're removed from the game.

Meanwhile 3 people of a mix of any group (villagers, vamps, hunters) can corner someone and learn their hint. This rule could be known to everyone, while the conversion and killing mechanic -- and even the existence of the groups themselves -- should be a secret to most villagers at the start.

But a few villagers could have some knowledge of the secret mechanics as well. For example, one knows that vampires exist, one knows that a secret society exists, one knows that in some cases someone can be converted, etc. This could be great for spreading rumors.

The game ends when all of one of the groups have been eliminated. Not much of a mystery aspect here, but perhaps the mystery aspect can be a MacGuffin? Something for the villagers to try and do before they're aware of the bigger aspect of the game?

And the solution to the murder would be that the GM found out that vampires exist and he had to be silenced by the original core vampire group. And each of the original vampires would have a lot of hints pointed at them on villager cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greig
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
Always believe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you to all for your wonderful ideas! My committee, while enthralled with them were a bit overwhelmed by the scope of what I was proposing to them, even though it was their idea in the first place!

We've decided to make it a more traditional murder mystery where the suspects are named right at the beginning and the audience, while having some interaction, will be mostly working in groups to figure out who the murderer is.

If anyone is interested in what we're doing, let me know and I'll post updates along the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val K
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc
mbmbmbmbmb
Belash wrote:
If anyone is interested in what we're doing, let me know and I'll post updates along the way.

Now you know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.