Popular Tags: [View All]
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had Dust Tactics for 8 months before buying any expansions for it, and loved it and played it whenever I could. You definitely don't need the expansions.

Dust Tactics sets up *very* quickly. For a game of Dust Tactics using just one of the core sets, you can probably set up the whole game in 5 minutes or less. I have Battlelore and one of the main reasons I don't play it very much is because of how long it takes to set up (and that time grows quickly as you get expansions.) Dust Tactics sees a lot of play very much because of how quickly it sets up. It also plays pretty quick too (about an hour per game I find, although sometimes it can be faster.)

I would still recommend getting the original core set instead of the revised one. Both are good, and the revised one is a little cheaper, so might be an easier entry point.

And you won't get bored after a couple games. With either core set, you get several scenarios that you can play on each side, so even with the revised core set with the fewer (6) scenarios, you'll have at least a dozen games of it that feel quite different from each other. Add in that you could play each side with a different faction, and there are actually 24 games of the Revised Core Set that would have a quite different feel to them, as playing the Axis is quite different than playing the Allies.

So yeah, I definitely recommend picking up the game. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. McLain 3
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been said here before but now that i've actually taken the plunge:

If you like the game buy the original core set now while you still can- got mine on ebay for about 77 bucks. Then buy the revised core set. Is this expensive on face value? Of course. But if you are like me you would have spent this amount in smaller increments in 2-3 months anyhow, and for me this is gonna be right up there with my Uber-Faves like Space Hulk.

This way you get a ton of minis, you get the updated and all-inclusive core rules w/o buying expansions (i believe), and you have a respectable foray into Warfare once it is released.

Dear FFG: for every breath i've used to curse you for 4 hour fiddley rule letdowns (imho) like Arkham Horror, or Almost-Cool Medicore Titles (TM) like Tannhauser, you have a mindless consumer for life as long as you keep this franchise alive..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.