Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
During combat each player can play a command card. Can this command card be a crew card effect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Carroll
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Combat cards allowed -- crew card?
From the manual - page 27

"Many Crew Cards also have Ops or Combat effects on them. You may play these cards from you hand as a normal Ops or Combat Card. But if you do, the card will be discarded after it is resolved, so you won’t be able to assign it to a ship. When a Crew Card is assigned to a ship, however, you may choose to discard it to use any Ops or Combat effect on that card instead of the usual Crew Card effect. This would represent a crewman making a special sacrifice or pushing himself to the limit to serve his ship. You must still meet any requirements or restrictions for playing the Combat or Ops Card. Also, only the ship that the Crew Card was assigned to can benefit from the Combat or Ops effect of the card."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. (Romans 10:9)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, however, I have read this and it is still unclear to me.

For example, the rulebook specifically says an Ops card cannot be played in combat, but nowhere does it say a crew card cannot be assigned to a ship as your command card played during combat. I am trying to clarify that particular issue.

In other words, in combat, is the only permissible command card play a "red" card effect? I know it can't be a green card effect, but can it be a blue card effect?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Carroll
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorOracle wrote:
In other words, in combat, is the only permissible command card play a "red" card effect? I know it can't be a green card effect, but can it be a blue card effect?

I've interpreted the rules as being only able to use 'red' card effects in this situation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Westblade
Australia
Sebastopol
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorOracle wrote:

For example, the rulebook specifically says an Ops card cannot be played in combat, but nowhere does it say a crew card cannot be assigned to a ship as your command card played during combat. I am trying to clarify that particular issue.

You get the blue card effect permanently, many of which affect combat such as weapons or shield bonuses. Or you can choose to discard the crew card during combat to use the red combat ability instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
WakandaMan wrote:
MajorOracle wrote:

You get the blue card effect permanently, many of which affect combat such as weapons or shield bonuses. Or you can choose to discard the crew card during combat to use the red combat ability instead.

Good answer. It fits thematically, a "battlefield promotion", if you will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spamman5r
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An important thing to note is that discarding a crew card assigned to a ship for its Combat bonus DOES NOT count as your Command Card for a combat/ops test, so you could play a card from your hand in addition to discarding the assigned crew card. (pg 27 of the rulebook)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the clarifications. However, my question is still unanswered.

Can I play a blue effect command card as my command card during combat? I have the opinion of Stuart, but nothing authoritative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have asked for some clarification on Crew card timing as I am working on the FAQ and making some "timing" examples. From all my notes only Combat cards may be played from your hand as the single Command card during a combat. Discarding a crew that is assigned to the ship would not count as that single Command Card.

I am reviewing all the rules posts to make sure I clarify as much as possible. And to make sure I did not misstate something. blush

I think there is also some confusion around "playing a command card" as opposed to "discarding a command card" to get its benefit. I will be trying to clear all those up, too.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Duby
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Michael. Eagerly await the FAQ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.