Subject: Just checking we did this right... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Coleman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing adventure 3 with the Vault title shuffled into the the bottom of the tile stack.

A couple of turns in we draw 'Scream of the Sentry' encounter which tells us to draw a title from the bottom of the stack. Then we draw a Sentry monster which also means we draw a title from the bottom of the stack - and we draw the Vault, which is the goal of the adventure after only 3 or 4 turns!

We followed the rules properly, but it seems kind of wrong to have the adventure end so soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you using all of the tiles included with the game?
The Vault sits at tile position 9-12 down in a stack of 40ish tiles, so taking one tile from the bottom wouldn't get you there any faster at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, when you make the original stack for the scenario it sits ON TOP of all the other tiles.

Drawing from the bottom of the stack is supposed to make the dungeon longer, not shorter.

Peace

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Coleman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remove all the "adventure specific" tiles, i.e. the ones used for Chambers etc. Have a missed something? Sounds like I should be using these but have them under the main title stack I'm using for the adventure?

But don't you then end up with things like chamber tiles in the middle of the "normal" dungeon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Snider
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember this correctly you should be taking a stack of 12 tiles (including the vault), and then shuffling the vault into the bottom four of these tiles. Then you take all of the remaining tiles (minus any adventure specific ones - you should still have a healthy pile of tiles) and place them underneath the original 12. Now, whenever you draw from the bottom of the stack, it is from this complete stack (not the original stack of 12). Therefore drawing from the bottom of the complete stack makes the dungeon longer, not shorter. I hope this is clear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, what JD said - I just remembered there are only 40+ tiles if you're using Castle Ravenloft. With WoA it's more like 25-30 after you remove the Chambers, etc. But still a lot more than 12!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you did it wrong. Shuffle the tile stack (after removing all the tiles you are supposed to for the adventure), take 3 of them, shuffle the goal tile in (the Vault), count off another 8 tiles then put the 4+Vault stack on *TOP* of the tile stack, then put the remaining 8 tiles back on TOP of the tile stack. Then the goal tile should be around 9 to 12 from the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Coleman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys.

I did it wrong. There's 22 "basic" titles and I stupidly didn't use them all. I still think it's pretty unclear in the rules, a lot of this stuff is implied rather than made explicit.
Oh well. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it kinda sucks in the beginning, it ends up being a plus after you get a handle on the rules because it allows you to "house rule" and change the game to suit your play groups style.

Like for example it doesn't say in the rules but we say that you have to have "true" line of site in order to target a monster or hero. In the rules you simply have to be within X tiles but we "modified" it to better suit us. Same goes for monster placement, opening doors, and all kinds of other things.

After you get used to the rule set and start to add things found on here and other places, you will greatly appreciate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.