Recommend
19 
 Thumb up
 Hide
46 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Nexus Ops» Forums » General

Subject: Give us back our monolith!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doderlin
msg tools
JohnnyDollar wrote:
FFG preview wrote:
the classic edition's raised monolith platform has been replaced with a flat monolith tile, which we feel offers a less cumbersome and more accessible board layout.


That's one change I'm really surprised by. The raised monolith was such a visually striking aspect of the game. (And kind of fun to attack and defend sauron)

Trying to imagine what this image for example would look like with just a tile... just seems so much less dramatic



Because Nexus Ops without monolith is like...

Christmas without christmas carols,
Boardgamegeek without whiner geeks,
Fantasy Flight Games without expansions, big boxes, high prices, tons of -opaque- plastic, generic fantasy/sci-fi artwork...

(you can follow)
27 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Find something cool-looking that's the right size... a can of beef stew would probably work, but I'm sure there's something better in everyone's house or that you can get for 50 cents at a thrift shop or yard sale... and put the tile on top of it.

It's not that Fantasy Flight has removed the monolith; they have allowed each of us to make our own custom monolith.
19 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. As a non-owner of the old version and someone who's been excited about the FFG version, I can say that I'm terribly disappointed there is no monolith. It was the feature to which I looked forward THE MOST.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many great home-brew monoliths to suit all tastes! It shouldn't be hard for monolith lovers to whip something up:

low profile:




high profile:

25 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was kind of hoping they'd just do a triple-thick tile for the monolith. Too bad.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeez... Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Bockerstette
United States
Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Find something cool-looking that's the right size... a can of beef stew would probably work, but I'm sure there's something better in everyone's house or that you can get for 50 cents at a thrift shop or yard sale... and put the tile on top of it.

It's not that Fantasy Flight has removed the monolith; they have allowed each of us to make our own custom monolith.



I totally agree with this guy!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get a scented candle from Target. At the end of the game, the monolith burns!
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
It's not that Fantasy Flight has removed the monolith; they have allowed each of us to make our own custom monolith.

Nobody needed Fantasy Flight for that. I'll sell a box of air for $5, and allow people to make their own custom game.
31 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Grudunza wrote:
It's not that Fantasy Flight has removed the monolith; they have allowed each of us to make our own custom monolith.

Nobody needed Fantasy Flight for that. I'll sell a box of air for $5, and allow people to make their own custom game.


Yeah, because making a single custom part = completely making an entire custom game from scratch! shake Once, I wanted seat covers for my car, and this guy suggested that I buy a garage from him so I could build a whole custom automobile!

Here's a hint people, the over dramatics and crazy exaggerations make YOU look more like the unreasonable and out of touch ones. Over the years of reading the game forums I have probably seen almost as many complaints about the monolith blocking views of the entire board as I have pro-monolith commentary - but, take a basically non functional part of the game away and watch the complainers file into a line that would put the Thursday morning GenCon pre-reg line to shame!

Holy gawd...
9 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
midnightmadness wrote:
Over the years of reading the game forums I have probably seen almost as many complaints about the monolith blocking views of the entire board as I have pro-monolith commentary

You must be listening to some very small people, because the only way the monolith could block the view of the entire board is if they were inside it. devil
18 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sucks there's not a monolith, but honestly in at least half the games I've played, we end up not using the monolith at all because someone didn't realize an army was lurking behind it.

Is it a change from the original? Yes
Is it worth crying about? No
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised.

I figure with all the money FFG saves by not editing their rule books that a monolith would be an easy addition.
24 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jefF, There are some who call me... DuneKitteh
United States
Wood Dale
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dune Kitty really does love you, despite any asshattery.
badge
Useless rollover, booya! Dune Kitty says, "deal with it."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
midnightmadness wrote:
Over the years of reading the game forums I have probably seen almost as many complaints about the monolith blocking views of the entire board as I have pro-monolith commentary

You must be listening to some very small people, because the only way the monolith could block the view of the entire board is if they were inside it. devil


Well, I might be!


(yeah, mistype there, that's what I get for blitzing through a comment - oops blush )

ETA:

YEAH... yeah!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As an original Nexus Ops owner, I love everything about the game except the cheesy cardboard monolith. Providing a quality monolith was about the only shot FFG had at selling me a copy of the reprint.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
As an original Nexus Ops owner, I love everything about the game except the cheesy cardboard monolith. Providing a quality monolith was about the only shot FFG had at selling me a copy of the reprint.


Agreed... and yet I'm still tempted to buy the new version (cult of the new + out of print game = temptation extreme).

So begins the (renewed) quest for a suitable monolith replacement. Something tall and imposing, but easy to see through. sauron

...aint seen nothing that fits those parameters yet. shake
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
As an original Nexus Ops owner, I love everything about the game except the cheesy cardboard monolith. Providing a quality monolith was about the only shot FFG had at selling me a copy of the reprint.



Yeah, me too. I was hoping for a swank new monolith.

For me, the new pieces are cool-looking in their way, but totally wrong for this game. I've had tremendous success with casual gamers and Nexus Ops...they love the "cute" translucent pieces. These look like more grotesque Chaos in the Old World-style dudes--I wouldn't be surprised if one of the figs turned around and had their guts hanging out.

Again, I like that, but for the audience for Nexus Ops, it's not the right move.

Having said all of that, I'm still in for a copy for huge 8-player Battle Royales. Holy moley.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Nobody needed Fantasy Flight for that. I'll sell a box of air for $5, and allow people to make their own custom game.


Correct, selling a box of air isn't something we need Fantasy Flight Games for, because Steve Jackson Games already has that covered.
28 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KGBRadioMoskow wrote:
Sphere wrote:
Nobody needed Fantasy Flight for that. I'll sell a box of air for $5, and allow people to make their own custom game.


Correct, selling a box of air isn't something we need Fantasy Flight Games for, because Steve Jackson Games already has that covered.



Ziiiiiiiing!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will (JR) Todd
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always a 3d printer sauron
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm cool with the new version especially with the cool new idea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McLean
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We all know that in about 6-12 months, FFG will have some sort of resin monolith produced (such as the resin house cards in their Game of Thrones LCG) ... and will sell it for $19.95


Personally, the classic monolith was, at best (to me, anyways), helpful to determine where you were on the board in relation to the monolith itself and served no practical value ... however, it was somewhat helpful, I just don't want the FFG monolith to blend in too much so that you forget about it's presence.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
I've never seen so many people pine over such a gastly, wonkey, fragile, cardboard piece of shit since the last eurovision song contest.

19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
I've never seen so many people pine over such a gastly, wonkey, fragile, cardboard piece of shit since the last eurovision song contest.


concise, provoking returns like that are an art in itself. one you have clearly mastered!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.