United States
Goshen
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diceland: Deep White Sea

After a couple of rounds of Light Speed. Geoff and I broke out Diceland: DWS, a recent acquisition, for a quick play. A brief overview, the dice are 8-sided heavy paper/cardboard constructions. Each die face contains information about attack, defense, movement, and special abilities. There is quite a lot of information packed onto each face. Initially this information is overwhelming, but even after one play through, it became much more intuitive.

Geoff and I each took our five dice or team. Geoff chose Red and I chose Green (Fat Robot Steve being my favorite character). Geoff began the game by placing a strong defense die in the center, on its 8-side. The higher the side # (from 1 to 8) the stronger that side is. Once a side is on its 1 side, it is begging to be killed.

We threw the dice back and forth, trying to gain a feel for how the die would roll. Also we began hitting other dice as we threw our own die (perfectly legal). With practice and luck, you can reposition several other dice as well as the die you cast landing on the desired side. Neither Geoff or I were at that point, we both failed, rather miserably to cast our die effectively, but it was our first forray into the frozen planet that is home to Diceland: DWS.

Eventually, after scurrying for position, the score was such that the next kill would win the game. Geoff's turn was next. His dice on the table would do him no good. He would need a good solid throw, as well as disabling one of my die, which was going to kill his character the next round.

In a mighty throw, he knocked Fat Robot Steve from a hold move to a powerful shot, but alas, he didn't do enough damage to kill either character. So on my turn, Fat Robot Steve blasted his assassin, and victory was mine.

Personally I found the game to be rather enjoyable, once all of the powers were determined. It is a game that the more you physically practice throwing the dice, the better you will get. The game rewards familiarity not only with your characters, but with the capabilities of your opponent. It is certainly a very unique game, and ultimately a good addition to my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.