Dreadfleet» Forums » General

Subject: For some weird reason... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
...I thought it would come painted and then I saw the unboxing video on YouTube and went "Oh!".

Stupid me, I even own several GW games so I should know they always advertise the games with painted models while you only get grey plastic. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harvey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not to be anti-GW, but thats one of the reason's the hype with a lot of their products is so great, they display awesome incredible looking miniatures.

With Space Hulk it wasn't so bad, since the miniatures for that were in red plastic, as if it were a board game, but this time they have gone for their trademark grey plastics, probably as a way to make people want to paint them more since they look a lot uglier as grey, as they would of as red.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I would imagine that it's to keep costs down. To have each ship painted, or even using different colored plastics, would add more to the cost.

At $115 retail, there's already a fair few that will not buy the game because it's out of their price range. Think of how many more you'd exclude, if it went up to $165...or even $300-400 for a full painted set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nutter
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't that the whole point of GW games though?
They always talk about the painting and modelling being an essential part of their approach to games, so it stands to reason they do this, for their target audience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harvey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
arcane220 wrote:
Actually, I would imagine that it's to keep costs down. To have each ship painted, or even using different colored plastics, would add more to the cost.

At $115 retail, there's already a fair few that will not buy the game because it's out of their price range. Think of how many more you'd exclude, if it went up to $165...or even $300-400 for a full painted set?
But wasn't Space Hulk around the £70 mark, and that had red plastic miniatures, which were extremely well detailed, with the Genestealers being blue plastic?

I was just thinking, that they would continue to have similar looks for each of their "board game" ranges, but have gone for the more "wargame miniatures" aproach by chosing grey plastics...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dust Tactics went the Premium Route and that set sells for $300.

I imagine the same would happen if GW attempted a pre-painted Dreadfleet or Space Hulk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
Dust Tactics went the Premium Route and that set sells for $300.

I imagine the same would happen if GW attempted a pre-painted Dreadfleet or Space Hulk.

And of course, the paint jobs wouldn't be anywhere close to the 'Eavy Metal standard used in the promo shots. Anyone who expects to pay £70 and open the box to see paint jobs of that standard is going to have one hell of a wake-up call

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I would pick this game up if it came prepainted, maybe even to a lesser standard than the promo pics, for $400. That said, I really don't think I can pick up the unpainted version, as I'd have to find a pro painter to do it anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
WholeHazelNuts wrote:
Isn't that the whole point of GW games though?
They always talk about the painting and modelling being an essential part of their approach to games, so it stands to reason they do this, for their target audience?

Yes, well put! We see this over and over again with GW products where people complain that the product is unfinished, or that the purchaser is somehow "cheated" because they have to assemble and paint the game themselves. What those people aren't considering is that some people LIKE to do those things. And if you purchase the product with that in mind it makes perfect sense.

It would be like someone buying a video game because they want to know what happens at the end of the story and then complaining "You mean *I* have to move Kratos around and kill these bad guys myself? Can't I just watch a movie of someone else doing it?"

Don't buy a video game if what you want is a movie. And don't buy a miniatures project if what you want is a board game.

The HOBBY is the product, not just the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is important to look at what comes in the box with this product. With the exception of the rulebook, two decks of cards, and some wound tokens, everything is plastic. EVERYTHING. Even the range ruler and the token for the turning circle. Plastic.

This is a boardgame, but it is wearing its badge on its sleeve - it is a hobby boardgame. Building and painting the figures is a big chunk of the appeal of the product. If you aren't into painting and building, then there really is no point in shelling out for the game.

There is nothing in this product that couldn't be done as a boardgame - the islands (plastic) could be flat cardboard tokens, the sea (cloth), could be paper, the ruler (plastic) could be cardboard, the ships (multi-part plastic kits) could be single piece plastic on a smaller scale, or ever flat tokens. The actual game would be the same, but the price tag would be a lot lower.

When you shell £70 for this game, you are buying all that plastic. If you have no desire to paint it, I would save your money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have not desire to assemble and paint these ships, then there is really no reason for you to buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wildger wrote:
If you have not desire to assemble and paint these ships, then there is really no reason for you to buy it.
I think the game will play fine without painting the ships.

I have a copy of Dust Tactics and I think they look fine with just the priming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wildger wrote:

And these ships will be easier to assemble and paint then the original Man O War mini's which were smaller, metal with plastic masts and paper sails. A real pain to work with but look awesome on the gaming table.
These new plastic ones will be a breeze especially with the design already embossed right on the sails for ease of painting.
I for one love the hobby aspect and although I also enjoy the pre-paints like AT-43 would rather play with my own painted minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LegoRick wrote:
Personally, I would pick this game up if it came prepainted, maybe even to a lesser standard than the promo pics, for $400. That said, I really don't think I can pick up the unpainted version, as I'd have to find a pro painter to do it anyway.

I think that your "maybe" is somewhat misplaced. There is just no way any game could be sold with paint jobs like the promo pics out of the box. Even Games Workshop doesn't have an army of professional painters that could produce 1000s or even 100s of copies painted to that kind of standard.

The paint jobs in the promo pics are done to a standard that nobody can accurately replicate without many hours per model. And that quantity of professional-level work in almost any field you care to mention never comes cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Nguyen
Australia
Bungarribee
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another culture clash between miniatures gamers and board gamers!

I'm personally loving the borderline game releases of late.

Can you just imagine the additional packaging costs for a game with well painted minis? surprise I remember how crabby I was getting the Flames of War campaign box where all the paint was chipping off the tanks and their turrets were bent...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Duval
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on guys this is GW...Their motto is "We charge you more for unpainted mini's because we are giving you the honor and privilage of painting them yourself".shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xscreamist wrote:
Come on guys this is GW...Their motto is "We charge you more for unpainted mini's because we are giving you the honor and privilage of painting them yourself".shake

This makes no sense - the minis would be dramatically more expensive if they were painted.

Besides, GW make hobby games. They are aiming their products at people who enjoy painting and modelling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.