Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
paperparachute games! http://games.suspended-chord.info/
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

My buddy and I had a question about this one. The first and third edition rules both state that a unit must end all movement upon ENTERING an enemy occupied hex, but nothing is stated that says what happens if a unit BEGINS it's turn in an enemy occupied hex. Are they locked? I'm assuming yes, due to being a 1974 design, with locking ZoCs being all the rage, but I'm not certain, and neither is my friend.

Any rulings? Official references?

Thanks.
-->Jake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no rule saying you can't move out of a hex if you begin your turn stacked with the enemy. If you couldn't do it, there would be such a rule. Note the wording of the original rule:

"Friendly units MUST STOP and end all movement whenever they enter a hex containing enemy combat units. They may move no further in that movement phase"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense. But what doesn't make sense is a small unit like a 5 moving "through" a larger unit, like a 30, just by stopping in that hex for a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gatesphere wrote:
That makes sense. But what doesn't make sense is a small unit like a 5 moving "through" a larger unit, like a 30, just by stopping in that hex for a turn.

He won't be moving through if the 30 kills him, will he? If you're playing the advanced game, the defender can initiate combat, and even if you're not, the 30 still gets a turn before the 5 can move again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Peck
United States
Baldwinsville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is true. Good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A variation on this question is what happens when a Leader is left in the hex when his force has been destroyed during his opponent's turn, and the Leader Casualty Check did not result in a wounded, captured, or killed result. This is possible during a Campaign Game using the "Optional Rules" Leader Casualty Check (which is required in a Campaign Game in the 3rd edition rules).

The opponent's turn ends with a leader in the hex without friendly SPs. The way I play it is that if there was a "no effect" on the LCC, then the leader can move out of the hex on the next turn, just like combat units can. In other words, he got away at the end of the battle, just like units can withdraw from the hex as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Pratto
United States
Peabody
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve:
You have it right. The only way a SP can capture a named Leader is during that SP's Movement Phase. Note that step 5. of the optional rule VI.A. procedure removes any nameless Leaders to the Turn Track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Doug!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.