Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you persuade your Wife/Girlfriend that dont really like boardgames to play with you ? anyone can share their secret ?

Poll
Persuasion Techniques :
Promise to buy her stuffs (eg gifts/bribes)
Promise to take her out (eg candlelight dinner)
Promise to do all this weekend's chores (including her's)
Tell her 'i prefer to play with her instead of with my friends'
Tell her 'my gaming group got new member a sexy female player that showed up every night'
Let her choose the game
Let her win 50% of the time
Let her determine the house rule for the game
Sulk/cry in the corner until she relent
      103 answers
Poll created by dprijadi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

That's a new one... a strategy that's created somewhere between Kissinger and Machiavelli devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Lucato
Brazil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoes, man. Shoes and a credit card on her possession.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Quote:

That's a new one... a strategy that's created somewhere between Kissinger and Machiavelli devil

kissinger did said to the Chinese he prefer china instead of russia as allies.. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It suck if you have to pursuade someone. Though I've never had a girlfriend so I'm missing step 1 regardless.

Doubt it would be very beneficial or fun to force her into a game though.

Alternative 1 suck, 2 suck, 3 is pretty bad and make no sense, 4 is lame unless it's true though I doubt it can't be since she doesn't want to. 5 is retarded and why should she care? (Also "really?"..)
6 is decent if she actually like any. If she do it's a good option.
7 stupid but much better than alternative 1-5.
8 do they make sense and make the game better for her? Then sure.
9 better than alternative 1-5.

Should I vote on what I would had done?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Let her win 50% of the time

Let her win? Christ man I don't need to do that, she already mops the floor with me most of the time. *cough* I mean... yeah. Yeah! I let her win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
I withhold sex unless she'll play. That works every time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Thankfully, I don't need to resort to any of that. I just ask her to play like I would anyone else, and then we jointly decide on a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
None of those methods will work. If I tried some of them, I could get hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
dprijadi wrote:
Wife/Girlfriend that dont really like boardgames

And herein lies the error.

My wife had to work remotely from home the other day because she was too tired to go to work after having insisted we try Defenders Of The Realm one more time, after having lost twice that night.

She didn't get to bed until 2AM.

We lost that third time as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Yaure
United States
Plymouth Meeting
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Persuade her? She's the one who usually asks after dinner, "So, what are we playing tonight?" We are going to a nearby hotel this weekend to celebrate our first anniversary, and she asked "What games are we bringing?" (We tentatively decided on Agricola/Farmers on the Moor and San Juan.) For our honeymoon, we took three suitcases: one for her clothes, one for mine, and one for the books and games (including Agricola/FotM, San Juan, Roll Through the Ages, Start Player, and Lost Cities). I was actually concerned whether we were exceeding the Mexican customs limit on the number of toys you can bring into the country. And she made four semifinals at WBC this year!

And to think, when we met two-and-a-half years ago she had never played any of these types of games.

Rather than trying to bribe her to do something she doesn't like, try the following:
*Notice what she likes in a game when she does play, and find games that give her more of that.
*Don't tell her how to play her game, but share your personal strategy and tactics.
*Invite another couple to play with you.
*When she beats you in a game, replay it as many times as she wants.
*Never be a bad sport.
*If she is not enjoying a game, stop.
*Tell your friends, in front of her, about games she beat you at.
*Open a bottle of wine/champagne while setting up the game.
*Sit on the same side of the board..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KakarisMaelstrom wrote:
Withhold sex isn't on the list?

i thought sex is far away from a mind of boardgamer..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
I didn't know what else to do with the GG
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't attempt to persuade anymore. My personal feeling is that if she won't willingly play the game with me then I'd rather not have her play. Half-hearted game play is more irritating to me than not playing at all. I'll hit the kids up if I want to play a game. Hell, that's why I had my last child, I was looking for a forth player for Power Grid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Howell
United States
Monterey
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was a superhero "Getting My Wife to Play Man" would be my arch-nemesis. Letting her choose and either suggesting co-ops or not slaughtering her go a long way.

Actually, she's pretty good about it. The bigger problem is getting her to play games I want to play rather than just any game at all. Lately we've been trading. A game of mine one night, then the next night her game (read: Scrabble) after several nights of Scrabble I told her, "OK, I have no problem with you picking and while I like playing games with you regardless of what it is,you really need to pick an alternative to Scrabble." She agreed that she would do that.

I knew this was a risky proposal. She could decide on something worse. With her taste in games it was a good possibility. As I suspected she went right to the Abstract section...not a good sign (other than Chess abstracts usually do little for me). Turns out it was a really good choice. She chose Hive. After checking it out I am quite pleased with her selection and excited to get it. Now at least she has two choices that are "hers".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The most time she asks me what to play^^...
Only prob is, that she likes the light games, and I prefer the heavy weight games... so in the end we usually play a game of her choice ...
But thats ok for me, because its better to play than not to play xD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:

Yeah, that is my answer too ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Maddening
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Date/marry someone who shares your interests, or who doesn't mind if you want to pursue your interests without them. That's what I did, and it's been working for over seven years now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we work together cleaning the house and getting the kids lunches ready for the next school day, she's more willing to play than if there are obvious chores that are being neglected.

It also helps for me to mention that I'd rather play a game with her than watch TV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Heinikel
United States
Garland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
polychrotid wrote:

You must stay very lonely! LMAO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremyffg wrote:
Date/marry someone who shares your interests, or who doesn't mind if you want to pursue your interests without them. That's what I did, and it's been working for over seven years now.

Agreed. My wife likes Carcassonne, but not very often (3-4 times a year she'll suggest it) and there are a handful of other games she's willing to play in a group, but I don't push the issue. We're both happier that way.

If you really want to get your SO to play, ask her what kind of games she likes. Be prepared for the answer to be party games or traditional card games or Sorry!. Maybe she'll play a game of something you like with you once in a while if you'll play Scrabble with her. Maybe not, but you never know. (I'm using "her" because of the OP's wording, but that applies to hims as well.)

(Ironically, the reason I got into board games in the first place was because we both liked Carc and I thought it would be something we could do together...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tegarend wrote:
polychrotid wrote:

What's sex???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Mazouat
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spend time doing things she likes, and she is pretty understanding about my hobbies, and spending time with me doing them as well.

I feel, if forcing myself to watch an episode of 'Keeping up with the Kardashians' nets me the return of a game or two with her as payment later, I can suck it up and deal with my damaged soul later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Tegarend wrote:
polychrotid wrote:

What's sex???

The thing I use to bribe my boyfriend to play a game with me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Frankly, I would tell her that there is a hooker down on the corner of Third & G street who would be more than happy to play a game of Deadwood, but I am giving you the first opportunity.

That usually changes their mind REAL QUICK....at least it does...or, uh, it did with my GF.

Actually, you can just bribe them like I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hedke
United States
Gibraltar
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Most problems can be solved with either a stiff drink, a bowel movement, or a bullet.
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see "Offer to unshackle her" as an option, because that works too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.