Magic Realm» Forums » General

Subject: £40: how'd I do? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just scored a 1st edition copy for £40 inc. p&p on eBay. How did I do?

Of course, once I print off a copy of the 3.1 rules, I'll be looking at £50!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say you did well... considering you wrote off your soul to the magic devil in the process
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
How much do you earn per hour? Factor that in to the time you'll spend with the rulebook and you'll be adding a few more zeroes to your total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
How much do you earn per hour? Factor that in to the time you'll spend with the rulebook and you'll be adding a few more zeroes to your total.

If I could get paid to parse and interpret Magic Realm rules, I would be a very happy man indeed. Being paid for enjoyable "work" is a joy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
FiretopMountain wrote:
Just scored a 1st edition copy for £40 inc. p&p on eBay. How did I do?

Depends on your goal. If it was just to buy a good game for a reasonable price, you did it. I recently did the same (same game; I got lucky and paid about $10 less for mine, but it often goes for twice as much).

But the proof is in the learning and playing.

Here's hoping that goes well for both of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Grouch
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
I recently did the same (same game; I got lucky and paid about $10 less for mine, but it often goes for twice as much).

Looking forward to a blog post on this from you soon, Patrick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:

My recommendation: Read/scan the rules. In the words of Ford Prefect, "Don't Panic!". There's a lot to ingest, frankly too much, but the 3.1 rules are a good reference point and you'll have a good basis to check when you can't do something you think you should be able to do. Don't sweat not understanding the magic rules yet.

Next, read and understand "The Least You Need to Know to Play Magic Realm" available in the Files section of BGG's Magic Realm page. Feel comfortable in that, and perhaps refer back to the rule book for clarification.

Kick off RealmSpeak. Choose the defaults. DON'T PLAY MAGIC YET. Choose an easier hero without magic chits. Amazon, Dwarf, maybe Swordsman (he will frustrate you) aren't bad choices. Ask for help here for the stuff that doesn't make sense, but you'll begin to get the idea. Don't sweat winning; let's learn first. We *all* die a lot in our first games - just learn from it.

Lay out your tiles the way RealmSpeak did, excluding hidden tiles, and begin play. Notice the layout of treasure cards and your sheet; your review of the rules should help you to understand the process, but let RS be the card drawer, tile placement and dice roller for you. I suggest trying to do something on the board and then trying it on RealmSpeak. 99% of the rules are fully covered in RS and it will inform you of violations - or you should be able to reference the rules to find the issue (ex: you try to move the dwarf into a mountain hex having already expended one M phase). We are here to help, we kinda like it, it reminds us of our trials and tribulations on this humdinger.

You may think this is laborious, but once you enter combat you'll understand the advantage, especially when there's multiple creatures involved.

Once you've died a few times, come back here and review the forum discussions and the analysis documents in the files section, foregoing the portions of magic. I personally strongly suggest tackling the final elements of play in this order:

Combat
Encounters with hirelings
Magic

The first two can combine as they are strongly integrated. Try to take on Magic separately. It's built upon all the other rules and is very rule exception oriented so it helps having the other rules down before tackling it. Re read the rules on magic, and again use RS as a guide to rules violations. Once you have that down, come back to BGG, there are some very cool combinations and strategies some of the characters can achieve.

Yes, this sounds like a college course syllabus. It should. This is the gold standard of complexity in board gaming IMHO. The neat thing is, there's support, and the outcome of the play/work is rewarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Warlock of
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Cheers Al.

Actually reading the rules, it seems fairly straightforward: on a par with a FF monstrosity like Arkham Horror. The really unintuitive bit is the combat!

I'm reluctant to use Realmspeak, because I'd rather figure out the mechanics myself, instead of having them hidden by the program. I may relent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Ross
United States
Charlotte
NC
flag msg tools
badge
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
mbmbmbmbmb
FiretopMountain wrote:
Wow! Cheers Al.

I'm reluctant to use Realmspeak, because I'd rather figure out the mechanics myself, instead of having them hidden by the program. I may relent!

Backatcha, Warlock!

There's some nuance that can be missed - but all in all if you are willing to attack the monster, I say go for it. But afterwards, try a couple of session of RealmSpeak and I am willing to bet you will discover a rule interpretation or two involving combat or movement that may have been somewhat obscure in the denseness of the rule structure.

The reply I suppose is intended more generally for the numerous posts I've seen over the years indicating a fear and loathing of what is a rather intimidating reputation and a hefty page count.

My message is, if you want a RPG *campaign* experience on a gameboard, playable solitare or with 16, with characters that breathe with play, and significant replay potential (hard to find in the mix of genres without significant investment in expansions), then I think MR may be the way to go. Arkham Horror comes as close as any I've seen, but without the scale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.