Subject: Has anyone played this? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Lapierre
United States
Berwick
Maine
flag msg tools
I'm curious if anyone has played this game, and if so, what do you think about it? It looks interesting but I'm hesitant to jump in as no one is asking anything or reviewing it.

Thanks!

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Geckler
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Steve, yes, I have had the pleasure of gaming DR-Hafid Ridge. I've just been too busy to post a complete AAR so far. If you have access to CSW, click on Grognard Sims in the game company support forum. I posted about 3/4 of AAR from a playtest session there with a few photos.
Search for it via the outline function. It's an intense scenario. In the end I lost 17 platoons of Brit armor to take out the fortified German held Ridges. It's a much smaller game than DR-Kursk, but there is a pleasantly surprising amount of charts/game material in the package.
-Rodney
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
stevel40831 wrote:
I'm curious if anyone has played this game, and if so, what do you think about it? It looks interesting but I'm hesitant to jump in as no one is asking anything or reviewing it.

Thanks!

Steve

I have learnt the system from 11th Panzer, but I am too busy to actually play that big baby in the next weeks, so I picked up Hafid Ridge to give the system a go on a much more manageable scale. I am reading the rulebook to refresh my memory right now, and I'll be playing HR next week. I am excited because the system looks fantastic and finally there is a game that allows one to try it without committing to a monster game!

Oh, and I will make a video review about this game! [ah, the shameless self-promotion... shake]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Gottesman
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not playing this, however I have a scenario of Operation Gazelle set up right now that I'll be starting hopefully later today. I will say the rules are written fairly conversationally, which leaves a bunch of gaps. I've had a lot of questions for the designer. That being said, he's very good about answering them, and about 1/2 of them, maybe more, are "that's what I thought, and just wanted to be sure" type of questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Geckler
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Marco, a video coming up on DR-HR will be great to see, can't wait!

From punching the counters to set-up only took me about one hour, compared to DRK-Grossdeutschland which took about four hours just to set up the first scenario, and a couple of steadily paced weeks to cut out the 1,720 counters! (From the solo gamer perspective.)

With HR you get into the game quick, and those fortified 88'ss proved lethal to my efforts.

Josh, haven't picked up OG just yet, so I'll be curious to learn more about the Armored Knights series as well, especially with the upcoming "Crusader" Semi monster with Joe Youst maps. I look forward to your feedback.

Until later Gentlemen,
-Rodney
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an excellent game. I've just submitted a review, which should be appearing shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
I played it. Fiddly and crude, with lots of strange tactics. (As a particular example, as pointed out on CSW, if both sides have a force of, say, 10 tanks, then the side moving first could put half its tanks in Overwatch and move the rest, and each time a tank of the other side wants to engage in opportunity fire against the moving tanks, it would have to survive fire from each of the tanks in Overwatch first.)

Overall, it feels like a system that has not followed the last 30 years of platoon level system development. Suggest to stick with TCS instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.