Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Folks,

Another quick question comes on, although this one is mostly to confirm two issues which happened during the game:

1-I played Bannockburn yesterday night and came into this situation: two Scottish pikes attacked an English mounted MAA from front and flank hexes (the MAA could not retreat before combat; if did so will get into the ZOC of a third pike uncommitted into this attack).

The English rolled for a counter charge and it went through, then rolled again for charge reluctance and got through again. Following the errata from 5/18/11, the front pike attacked with a -2 DRM modifier, however the flank pike did not, since as per the rules a mounted MAA is limited to only one successful counter charge per turn

Just to confirm if this procedure was correct OR the counter charge was not valid since the MAA was in the ZOC of more than one enemy unit?

2-When a mounted MAA charges a pike unit through the flank or rear then the charge reluctance die roll is unnecessary, right?

Fellows, your authorized comments would be deeply appreciated.

Regards,

Jumval

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
Jumval wrote:

1-I played Bannockburn yesterday night and came into this situation: two Scottish pikes attacked an English mounted MAA from front and flank hexes (the MAA could not retreat before combat; if did so will get into the ZOC of a third pike uncommitted into this attack).

The English rolled for a counter charge and it went through, then rolled again for charge reluctance and got through again. Following the errata from 5/18/11, the front pike attacked with a -2 DRM modifier, however the flank pike did not, since as per the rules a mounted MAA is limited to only one successful counter charge per turn

Just to confirm if this procedure was correct OR the counter charge was not valid since the MAA was in the ZOC of more than one enemy unit?

Per 7.1, Non-Missile Infantry do not have ZOCs, so the MAA could have retreated before combat.

There was an update to Infidel recently that said a unit has to be able to Counter-Charge all of it's attackers or it cannot Counter-Charge, looks like I need to update the Men of Iron Addenda with that as well. Depending on how the attackers were arranged that could have come into play, otherwise all of the Pike would attack with a -2 modifier for the Counter-Charge.

Jumval wrote:

2-When a mounted MAA charges a pike unit through the flank or rear then the charge reluctance die roll is unnecessary, right?

Per 11.4, Charging through the Frontal hex is what triggers the Charge Reluctance roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ralph,

Once again, thanks for your reply.

No doubt, you are really the authority in this game.

Thanks,

Jumval

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergey Kosarev
Russia
Lyubertsy
Moscovskaya oblast
flag msg tools
mb
revnye wrote:

There was an update to Infidel recently that said a unit has to be able to Counter-Charge all of it's attackers or it cannot Counter-Charge, looks like I need to update the Men of Iron Addenda with that as well. Depending on how the attackers were arranged that could have come into play, otherwise all of the Pike would attack with a -2 modifier for the Counter-Charge.

Sorry, Ralph, I can't find neither in the last Infidel/faq nor in the Men of Iron last rules/faq, that said a unit has to be able to Counter-Charge all of it's attackers or it cannot Counter-Charge.

Could you refer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
That is what the last paragraph of 11.5 is supposed to represent. Reading it now, I am not sure the wording is clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergey Kosarev
Russia
Lyubertsy
Moscovskaya oblast
flag msg tools
mb
I see
"A unit may Counter-Charge more than
one unit, but all Counter-Charged units must end in the Counter-
Charging unit’s frontal hexes."

IMO it's really unclear. It said that unit can counter-charge more than one unit and defines condition for it. But it's not said that ALL ATTACKING units must be counter-charged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
Agreed, the use of the word may was unfortunate, among other issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
I am changing that sentence to read "A unit must end its Counter-Charge with all attacking units in the Counter-Charging unit’s frontal hexes or it may not Counter-Charge."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.