Thunderstone: Dragonspire» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Some games just drag. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dork Angel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Thunderstone. It is definitely my current favourite game. However that unfortunately doesn't mean there's not going to be the odd stinker.

Our dungeon contained Hydra's, Cultists, Undead Plague, and 3 sets of traps (i.e. Dire, Death and Draconic). Just to top it off we got the Grimhold setting which means on any turn where you don't go to the Dungeon the monster order rotates (i.e. Rank 1 goes to Rank 3 and the other ranks move up). This meant any monster with a breach effect will breach every 3 turns.

We start with a monster which gives diseases when it breaches but no-one wants to miss their turn of buying Ambrosia so we end up a bit unclean before it's gone. On the bright side we soon get a Hydra which kills Heroes when it breaches so we use it to clear out our Militia. However while it's out no-one buys any heroes for fear of losing them. Then more Plague but we've no heroes to fight with. At one stage in the game we have actually managed to empty the special disease deck. Soon as we get some heroes there's a trap to clear them out. We run out of "good" heroes and have to start buying the crap ones.

We limp through the dungeon being squashed by rolling boulders and having our weapons destroyed by Dragons Jaws, losing villagers, gaining diseases until I've never been more glad to see a Thunderstone appear. To make matters worse, in the end the game took over 2 hours which meant we didn't have time to play another game. Now I've got to wait a whole week til we play it again. I wonder if we should instigate an agree to quit the dungeon rule...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kaufmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NEVER EVER use the randomizer cards for a new scenario - use the Thundermaster to create a game: http://www.asmor.com/scripts/tsrand/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you could stop using the Traps. {how I hate that mechanic...}

We have house ruled them away immediately after seeing how they work. It's totally random. If you don't want to use a house rule than just don't play with the Traps.

Our house rule is:

Each time a Trap is revealed it goes to a "slot" above Rank 3 or Rank 2 if 3 already has a Trap and so on.

Then we continue to refill the Dungeon as normal. The trap is not triggered.

From then on whenever any player attacks a Rank containing a Trap he must resolve the Trap first and then fight the monster.

With this rule Traps become something to think about and they stop being random damage effects that can ruin the whole game by giving advantage to a random player or destroying random player's deck strategy without any form of control whatsoever.

The same rule applies to Treasures the only exception being that the player has to DEFEAT the monster in order to get the Treasure. If he loses the combat, the Treasure card is discarded.

Problem solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dork Angel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarmahaan wrote:
NEVER EVER use the randomizer cards for a new scenario - use the Thundermaster to create a game: http://www.asmor.com/scripts/tsrand/

We use the Thunderstone app, but that looks pretty cool too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Bradley
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Why are traps random?

ever played a scout, or the elixir card to control them?
thieves also avoid traps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
landi wrote:
Why are traps random?

ever played a scout, or the elixir card to control them?
thieves also avoid traps!

Not all of them and Dungeon deck manipulator cards might not be in a game with Traps.

That said, I love Traps, Treasures less so, but Traps rock. I also play whatever the randomizers (manual that is) bring out, only do a mulligan for stacks used in the previous game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dork Angel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have instigated a new house rule. No more than one set of traps and no more than one set of treasures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tarmahaan wrote:

How is this different than using the randomizers in the game (except it's quicker). Is it doing something in the code to prevent certain situations? Is the "intelligence" there, or is it in the fact that you can cancel out certain things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cynon Forest
msg tools
We just had the same problem with the last TWO games we played. Which, since I'm a new player, makes me wonder if I'm playing the game right. I have Dragonspire, Wrath of the Elements and Doomgate Legion. We couldn't even get INTO the dungeon for a half hour unless we wanted to sacrifice something big just to get the monster out of play.

The game can be fun, but there are definitely balance issues, which I'll admit could be caused by me since, as I said, I've just started playing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quizoid wrote:
Tarmahaan wrote:

How is this different than using the randomizers in the game (except it's quicker). Is it doing something in the code to prevent certain situations? Is the "intelligence" there, or is it in the fact that you can cancel out certain things?

If you turn on the debug output, it will tell you what it's doing, selecting and rejecting cards based on various requirements - such as magic attack and a way to clear diseases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Martins
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KAndrw wrote:
Quizoid wrote:
Tarmahaan wrote:

If you turn on the debug output, it will tell you what it's doing, selecting and rejecting cards based on various requirements - such as magic attack and a way to clear diseases.

Oh... wow... just played with it for awhile. That is awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles the Dragon
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quizoid wrote:
KAndrw wrote:
Quizoid wrote:
Tarmahaan wrote:

Oh... wow... just played with it for awhile. That is awesome.
Also, it allows you to enforce "house rules" like the preventing of more than 1 trap or treasure to be in the dungeon. You can set your min/max of each section if you'll notice the number drop-down menus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.