Popular Tags: [View All]
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with either Alien Research Team or Separatist Colony, with a hand of production worlds and no military. But with the Most Explore goal out (as well as first to 4 goods and 5VP) I thought a peaceful Separatists route would work. Across from me, J's Imperium Warlord - handy for the 6+ Military goal as well as 3 Imperium/4 Rebel. It also has an Explore power - a strong start world in this set-up. The other goals was first to a power in every phase. Takeovers were off.

I started well, leeching Export Duties and playing Refugee World, the good was quickly traded and I got Improved Logistics and Mining Mole Uplift Race into play (as well as 2 more rare good production worlds and Galactic Salon in hand). The Imperium Warlord started out slowly, with the default Expedition Force and settling the New Survivalists. I was feeling pretty good, though I was struggling a bit with card flow, needing to explore more than I’d like to try and get my engine running. I got Galactic Salon out to get the maximum benefit (and to score some points - I had no other consume powers - while I traded to get more cards).My wife dropped Drop Ships, which was ominous then the Lost Alien War Ship. The military juggernaut was building, she had the military goal in the bag already and was close to the every phase power - which I was a development power away from as well. But could I find one?

Well, the Imperium Troops signed up on her side, which allowed her to settle Rebel Council. That was the prestige lead too. I put down New Earth and I now had Mining Conglomerate in hand, so I’d at least be able to produce and consume my rare goods. Most of my worlds had an explore power, but still, a lot of her’s did too, Alien Uplift Center, Malevolent Lifeforms, even Star Nomads which gave her the trade power too, so she took the all phases goal. Despite my Improved Logistics, I could not keep pace. Imperium Lords gave her 3 Imperium goal and she was slowly acquiring VP toward the first to 5VP goal.

I played out Interstellar Prospectors and Mining Conglomerate, hoping to crank the handle on my production cycle, but after I produced (giving her more cards with Imperium Lords), the acceleration to the game end continued, Galactic Imperium going down for added to complete her tableau. I played Pilgrimage World as a futile gesture, with my hopeful produce call giving me the goods to claim the first to 4 goods in play and my last turn consume giving me the first to 5VP. The only problem was that the Imperium claimed them both too. Upon finally tallying, she had the Most Explore powers too. Yes, she claimed every single goal. The final score would not be pretty for me.

I was right about that: I scored 19 for cards, 6VP, 0PP and 6 for goals. A humbling total of 27 31 (thanks for correction!).

She got 25 for cards, 6VP, 1PP, 22 (!) for goals, 10 for Galactic Imperium and another 15 for Imperium Lords. A devastating total of 79.

Ouch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NtN Scissors
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're playing "peaceful Separatist", why not just go Alien Research Team? Comes with the same Explore power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loofish wrote:
I scored 19 for cards, 6VP, 0PP and 6 for goals. A humbling total of 27.
Um.
I guess I'm just unfamiliar with arithmetic in base 14. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NtNScissors wrote:
If you're playing "peaceful Separatist", why not just go Alien Research Team? Comes with the same Explore power.
Ugh, I had to look it up to see that you were correct. But with some post-game rationalization, I had no alien cards and a path that didn't involve alien cards semi-sorta mapped out. Playing the Refugee World negated the military of Separatists but if I had drawn something better in a first Explore, I might have changed course.

Overall, I'd say neither of my start worlds were particularly good for the cards I had in hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
DURHAM
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mumushanshi wrote:
loofish wrote:
I scored 19 for cards, 6VP, 0PP and 6 for goals. A humbling total of 27.
Um.
I guess I'm just unfamiliar with arithmetic in base 14. devil
Not only can I not play RftG very well, I can't add up either.

My wife will be mad I got over 30 though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Hallstrom
United States
Jackson
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, he was clearly reporting in base twelve! (Though his initial numbers were oddly still in base 10)

27 = (2 x12) + 7 = 31 in base 10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls