Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
We started to move again around noon-ish, although Neil had been up for several hours reading the rules to Mare Mediterraneum. Another fun-filled day of gaming! The three of us gathered at the table, and Ken started to explain the rules to Reiner Knizia’s Samurai. We decided to use a random start, because it was Neil’s first attempt at the game.

Ken and I, per our usual, set up most of our starting tiles around the largest city. Early on each of us picked a figure to collect and quickly secured a majority in that figure; Neil took rice paddies, Ken selected high hats, and I picked buddas. Obviously, this game would be decided by the number of other figures that we received. I jumped out to a clear majority in buddas early, while I tried to threaten Ken’s lead in high hats to no avail. While Ken and I squared off in the center of the board, Neil amused himself with one end of the island securing several rice paddies. Eventually, we all finished our respective areas, each of us capturing a fair number of pieces. I felt that I was losing at this point, because I’d only been able to garner two figures beyond my budda majority. Neil made a powerplay for several central budda figures, and was moderately successful. Meanwhile, Ken had foiled my attempt at a couple rice paddies and a high hat by playing a figure switch tile. It didn’t look good for the Derk. At the end almost all the figure types were still represented on the board, until finally Ken was able to take the last budda ending the game. The final tally, unsurprisingly, gave the victory to Neil and Ken both, as I couldn’t seem to win a game this weekend to save my life.

Neil: 5 rice paddies, 3 buddas, and 1 high hat

Ken: 5 high hats, 3 buddas, and 1 rice paddy

Derk: 4 buddas, 3 high hats, and 1 rice paddy

Neil: <em>Short and sweet with just the right mix of thought, but it's a six because that combination just isn't an epiphany for me. Rating: 6</em>

Ken: <em>Although this game is virtually themeless, all its neat little plastic figures make it visually appealing. Plus, it packs a lot of agonizing decisions in a relatively short period of time. Rating: 7</em>

Marissa had promised to return to game this afternoon, and she called us to say she was available after 3:30pm. We (read Neil) were hungry again, so Ken suggested a new chicken wing restaurant that he and his wife tried the other day. I thought that sounded good, so we told Marissa to join us there. The restaurant was very tasty, and we ordered three different types of wings: Original, Cajun and Garlic Parmesan. It was then that we learned that Neil didn’t like this type of food very much. He claimed that you had to work too hard to get the food from the bones of the miniscule chicken parts. We agreed wholeheartedly, and then dived into the next basket of wings with a carefree look dripping off our fingers. Eventually, we finished eating and Neil described his perfect dinner (Perhaps dinner isn’t the correct word, I mean, you don’t eat dinner 6 times a day, right? That’s more of a bunch of snack times.): two plain hamburgers and a small coke from McDonald’s. Sigh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.