Popular Tags: [View All]
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just picked up a new copy of this at a con I had the opportunity to play a three player game with my sister and brother in law. I have to comment that the player reference cards are nice that they are language independent but it does take most of one playing through for a new player to really understand what it is that they are looking at. We played through with the standard rules (I thought I would leave the auction variant for another time) since this was their first time playing. They made me the starting player by default just so that they could have a better understanding of how the each players turn played. To my advantage I drew an empty jungle tile and founded a camp. I then used my remaining 5 actions to place workers on the board. Peggy was next and placed a temple hex, Bill also placed a temple tile and play rotated back to me. I, of course expanded my hold on the temples in play, Peg drew a clearing and founded her camp and brought workers but Bill was again denied the ability to found a camp by drawing a treasure tile. Finally in the third round of play, Bill got his camp founded and got some workers to temples. As play progressed I concentrated on temples that I had a good buffer of spaces between them and me and they did the same. Peggy concentrated more on excavating treasures early on and found herself with a pair and two singles by the time the first volcano turned up. At the first scoring I had a marginal lead over Peggy and Bill, with his late start was bringing up the rear. Through the next rounds I concentrated on placing temples and tiles in a way that made it expensive in action points for Bill or Peggy’s workers to get there or nearly impossible. I kept concentrating on uncovering my initial temples while Peg and Bill expanded their hold in different sections of the jungle. By this time I was horribly lacking in treasures but I more than made up for it in temple holdings. When the second scoring round was finished we were still situated me, Peg, Bill and the difference in scores had probably doubled with me having a comfortable lead. I got the coveted 10 tile and both 9 tiles but Bill seeing an opening rushed in and stole my nine temple before I had to opportunity to guard it. The 10 temple I did manage to guard with minimal loss to my workforce. Peggy, being thus far sheltered and un disturbed in her section of the forest decided to make some raids on Bills temples and in a couple of instances was successful. They also spent some action points trading amongst them selves building pairs and triplets of treasures. By the third scoring round Peggy and I had both founded our second camp while Bill, in his relatively central position had not. My tile placements made it significantly difficult to snipe into my temples with any significant number of workers so I was reasonably unmolested while Peg and Bill fought for control over a couple of key ruins. The third scoring round saw the same people in 1st through 3rd and with the margins growing greater between us. I’m hoping with the addition of the auction in the next game it will result in a much tighter game. Although I like the game the inability to place a camp quickly and get workers on the board haunted Bill for the rest of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 3P with standard rules, third player disadvantaged....
I believe the official rule is that the camp-like square on the board serves as a camp for everyone, so that everyone can place figures from the get-go. (At least that's how I was taught.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. There is a starting camp where all players can start. You will NEVER want to drop one of your own camps on the first turn of the game. Give it another shot with the correct rules, and I think you will find the game opens up a bit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Right. The extra camps tend to be placed in far-flung areas of the board to give players access to that part of the board. The first couple of turns just bring all your dudes in at the starting corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angus the Bull
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ha! Thanks everyone for pointing out my mistake!!! As usual I miss a critical rule and play a few games incorrectly. At least I posted a session and my mistake was pointed out to me. Now I'll be able to give it another go.

Thanks Again!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.