Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Update 4: Rules on gDoc
It's been a long while. Last year I promised myself I would get a rules set up by 2012. Whilst having a great year, starting a games design blog and playing some wonderful games with some wonderful people, I humbly invite you to take a look at the rules for Atompunk v1.00.

Atompunk rules v1.00.

--------------

AtomPunk, a co-op wastelands caravan card game for 1-4 players that lasts 30-45 minutes.

AtomPunk fancy developer blog:
http://cogentesque.wordpress.com/

Purplepawn.com have covered AtomPunk!
http://www.purplepawn.com/2011/10/atompunk/

Amazing Art and Illustrations:
http://boardgamegeek.com/images/user/374963/cogentesque

'aint she beautiful?

What is this game?
Race for the Galaxy Vs. Magic the Gathering with a splash of euro gaming in a dirty Fallout post apocalyptic setting.

Tell me more about it!
You control a rag-tag caravan that contains elements of how society was before the bombs dropped. Everything from road-converted steam engines to solar harvesters staffed by inviting female engineers, and it's your job to get these guys the-hell-outta-here.
AtomPunk makes use of some inventive new puzzle-mechanics and loots the best ones from elsewhere. It steals the best bits of card interactions but dispenses with the "Spend loads of money to play with our new cards" crap - it is one game. It uses resource tokens like some of our favorite euros, but keeps them in an elegant card format. It's core puzzle mechanic means that you WILL have to use your mind to work out the best path in this trecherous dystopian backdrop
You and your buddies are alone against the harsh wastelands. The riding is tough. Horrific mutants, shady merchants, hardened outriders, religious tech zealots and crazed robo emus. BUT on your side you have have speed, cunning, all the guns you can handle, and transformer-like laser beam trains. Aww yeah.

Wow...Is it out yet? Not yet my friend, but subscribe to this thread (at the top of the thread under "Subject") and I will let you know when you can pre-order a copy of AtomPunk with promo cards and cover art posters through Kickstarter. OR (if you are lazy like me) then head over to the [url=http://cogentesque.wordpress.com/ ]development blog[/url] and press the "sign up" button to sign up to a newsletter and get information on playtesting.

What are the mechanics?
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/696179
1. You control 5 caravan elements in a horizontal line that give each card to its left and right static bonuses. These bonuses activate special abilities on the elements. You will constantly need to be thinking about getting these in the best configuration.
2. An event deck throws everything at you from crazy cleaning robots, twisted mutants, resource giving oasis, and caravan weaponry upgrades
3. Each turn pits you in a certain land. This land card tells you what resources you need to move on to the next land. After 5 of these you will come up against the 6th and final hard-as-nails boss land which will tell you the final quest you need to complete.
4. Not only do you need to conquer these 6 lands, but each player has a secret achievement goal card that they must complete in order to win with a major victory and write a wasteland legend.

What will the cards look like?
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/697003
Borderless, big, bright, horizontal and painted by some of the finest illustrators I have ever seen. Are you an illustrator? Let me know. And if you think you will fit in to the theme and meet a minimum standard, yes, yes we will use your illustrations. What's that? "If I illustrate a piece for the cards, can I hide my name somewhere in the card art?" ... go on then.

What are some of the cool cards?
Hmm.. ok Ill tell you, but only because I think you are awesome.
Cloud Burster Rockets: +1 water. +1 attack - up to 5 places to the right. Produces smoke.
Mrs. Reynolds Fixits: Engineer unit, can fix destroyed elements - must have buxom engineer card art
Screaming Wheels of Steel: Nuclear powered locomotive
Rotary harpoon cannon: Combat unit, deals 4 damage minus the range of the target to the right
SUPER PRO BONUS SPOILER
The 194 long, AtomPunk potential card list.

Well gee willikers, this sounds great, can I help?
Yes you can, make sure to spare a thumbs-up to this thread and the BGG entry page, then I would love you to "Become a Fan" at the page.

Read on for some killer-awesome updates on this wasteland co-op card game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Re: AtomPunk Cardgame - The Developers Diary
Reserved for card art examples!

OhhhHHh yeaaaHH!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Reserved for some polls to help decide what us lot would like to play most!

MMMMMmmmmmmMMMMM!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Reserved so that all of you awesome boardgamers read this:

You guys are awesome. Both here and at BGDF, you guys have filled my life with the most wonderful friends and I am so happy that AtomPunk is going to be made a reality - let's make this gorramn game AMAZING!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aw shucks Sam. You ain't so bad yerself.

Really, looking forward to playing this. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have to let us know how the kickstarter campaign goes. I've been pondering doing one of those for my game whenever I get it into a releasable state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
This looks brilliant! I really love theme and the artwork (big fan of fallout and post-apocalyptic books haha). I'll be waiting for this on kickstarter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The game does seem to be shaping up nicely

Any more decisions from your side regarding art/mechanics Sam?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yup - got a shitload!

Will do a big ol' "OMGOSH what's going on!" update here after the weekend. Already have some lovely ideas (spoiler: 5 random lands and one big bad face up "boss" land to win - AWESOME!) and have a couple more illustrators on board, have an example card layout to get opinion on as well, will let you know soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EDIT: Sry, wrong post

Can't wait to see more about this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Cogentesque wrote:
"OMGOSH what's going on!"

AtomPunk is now progressing to be a playable game.

I have (with some friends) sat down and hammered out a massive excel sheet. I needed to find out what kind of stats any card can have. The element cards were first - I wanted to find out what kind of number range is likely or not for the activated abilities (the ones that need to be powered up), this is what we came up with:

Active ability costs

1 An ability that costs 1 power is essentially "a formalisation" this means that it will mostly always be succeeded - but needs a formalised number to activate

2 This is an ability that should always work. If there is such a time where you have screwed yourself over and not left enough power for it something that costs 2 - you will be dearly sorry. An example would be your leader cards base ability of "Pay the cost to progress to the next land". This should cost 2. You should have it but will lament the time where it goes wrong

3 Something that costs 3 power to work will be the day-to-date good old tried and tested abilities. These will be the "normal" range of abilities to power up and can be considered the solid work horses in game play.

4 These guys are game winners. If you have level 4 power-up abilites on your cards and you regularly use them - you should not lose eassily. These will be your big guns and resource producers that will go a long way to winning your game. Essentual.

5 "OMGOSH I DOEN IT!" These are pro abilities. Mega ultra laser train. This is him. The "tunneler" that enables you to bury yourself in the sand to avoid detection or the water stealer that drinks monsters dry, killing them AND gaining you water - these are 5's. Awesome cards are 5.

6 Not yet invented these. But lord forgive any monster that crosses you when you have one of these out and powered...

We worked out that in order to keep to this kind of management with the cards we will need each card to be no more bonus than +2.5 on either side. Adding 1 single additional card that has say "+3 on right" actually doubles the chance of having a fully powered 5 ability card in a random sample (without card rearranging) so I need to be super careful with this.
BUT this echos in some good news that makes balancing easier: There will be 2 (maybe 3) powered places in any 'van that requires 3 power. Good news is, if we have a +3 right card or a +10 right card, these will both lead to the same situation: 2 (maybe 3) places will be powered. You see how it kind of nicely balances itself out for us? Good girl AtomPunk! *gives Atompunk a biscuit*

AtomPunk > You

We threw a load of cards together and did one very basic test through. We lost. Bloody awesome! AtomPunk BEATS YOU zombie!

This means that in order to up the win chance, we need to positively balance the game out - which is exactly what we need to do: add the quicktime cards (instants whatever) "+4 Combat value when this card is played" and add the groovy mechanic cards "Mergatreuds Vantage Point: View the top 3 monster cards and rearrange them in any order" - these will all aim to make the game easier and funner - very happy it turned out that way. If it turned out that we won, and that would be WITHOUT putting in positive impact cards - it would have just been a joke - and remember we are talking about a harsh wasteland here - you kinda shouldn't be here or have been liquidised by radiation already ... you lucky punk you (you ATOM punk you, teeheehee!)

So that's cool.

New Monster Rules

So far the reception has been mixed thematically but I think that with thematic refinements it will perfectly:
The monsters will appear from the events deck (this will also include simple "Oasis: gain a water!" cards) and then attack a random position in the 'van. You think a 5 sided dice yeah? Nope - card game only, no dice, no chits, no nuthin' - each event card will have a random number printed on the back (1-5) and the monster in hand will attack the position shown on the next face down card.

If WOLVES! attacks position 3 and desimates your wasteland-ass then you will lose your prized Solar Harvester (and it was giving great bonuses to your harpoon cannon as well!) AND the Wolves card will take the place of the caravan. The wolf card, now in your caravan, will have power=bonuses itself - but bad ones: -2 either side. So now, you've lost your caravan element, and these mutated wolves are stalking your next element, stressing you the-hell out and taking all of your reserves, thus lowering the power (thematically: I can't use my water generator as effectively if I need to keep watching these damned wolves with chunks of my old comrades legs in there mouth )
The cool idea though: the monster mechanically becomes part of your caravan and you can still shuffle about with it, so you will have to negotiate the spatial mechanics and try to get the most from your ability powers while dealing with this damned negative card. It will make the monsters easier to pop once they are in your 'van - as now of course you can rearrange your combat vehicles to make them more effective vs position 3. Another cool mechanic - next turn if you draw another monster, a huge mutated millipede, and he is higher in the food chain (larger toughness) and happens to be drawn to attack position 3, then he will attack the wolves and take there place! Bahahha, measley wolves!

Of course you can instantly imagine the effects of a quicktime: "YOU choose the position that the monster attacks this turn" and "double the combat value to any caravan position of your choice" and "instantly remove any monster in your caravan", and even monsters that temselves have powere abilities: "SpitBalls: 2 add 2 fuel to the cost to progress to the next location" would involve a lot of clever spatial moving around in your caravan in order to minimise their negative effects and purposely not activate their power-up abilities. And when you move on to the next land? Well: you will outrun that damned monster and he will be lost forever! Imagine "Come on David, just burn your damned precious fuel and get us out of here, these scorpions are about to destroy my backup generator that powers your gause cannon!"
-cool.

What am I currently working on?

1. Hammer down some proper terms, "monsters", "power up", "combat value", "leader unit" are all placeholder names, should they be the actual names or should we change them to something more thematic?

2. Play a couple more Alpha games to see if it is possible to win at all - hopefully not!

3. Start (slowly) adding new mechanic cards and instants

4. Work out how co-op play will effect the game. The total effect of 4 players will be far greater than the sum of its parts and I need to find the right way to account for this and scale up the difficulty with more players.

It's all happening guys - some new artwork is coming in a week or so, very excited - also I am just starting to work on the card layout: There will be no border and the artwork will extend all the way to the edges of the cards, they will all be very very distinctive, I really do think they will be beatiful cards. Do you know or are you an illustrator that wants to help out / get paid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: AtomPunk - The Developers Diary - Update 1
thumbsup

Nuff said.

Edit - and goooo Tunneler!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
d10-1You are awesome!
d10-2You are awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Green
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogentesque wrote:
So now, you've lost your caravan element, and these mutated wolves are stalking your next element, stressing you the-hell out and taking all of your reserves, thus lowering the power (thematically: I can't use my water generator as effectively if I need to keep watching these damned wolves with chunks of my old comrades legs in there mouth )

and:

"Caravan Element" - One unit in the caravan. The carvaan is the whole thing - one "element" is what? This could be a leader, and engine, a horse drawn cannon, some engineers etc

Now I get it: each element is self-powered. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I was mentally envisioning a 'Leader unit' as a cab or engine that pulled the other elements. That's why I couldn't see the monster substitution mechanic working thematically. Now I can.

Your illustration on the 'cover' threw me off: it shows a wagon train rather than a convoy. Right. Well. I've got more unit suggestions in that case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Haha! You bloody well do have a good point Matt.

Well so you know, RIGHT at the start it was literally "A train" idea, and I got a little swamped in the initial idea that the front cover would be a "Converted Steam Engine - So it can work on the desert " and artist came back with that, I just loved it so much I kept it - but yes you are right, I do need to make it more obvious ey? HMmmm....

Well, it's kind of a train, a "Train" of units, and some may well be "dragged" by others, say one unit could simply be an unpowered trailer that carries lots of water. This would essentially be dragged along by - whatever the hell was infront of it. And likewise some units will be modified cars / lorries / steam trains etc. And others would be on horseback orr on foot: So it's a caravan in the proper usage of the term - a collection of units (hence "elements") that make up a line of units traveling across the desert.

I shall add a horseback unit in the middle of the train and give the solar cart a milk-float style tiny cock-pit engine to make it more clear

SPOILER: http://cogentesque.wordpress.com/atompunk/ - research images
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually not a bad idea for another unit type. Usually units are self-powered but some could be trailers and need to be pulled (or pushed) along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes thats probably how we'll fit some very special multi-element cards - either the one that is the High Voltage Mining Laser & Transformer Coupling Cuff - these would have to be used next to eachother , or somewhere in the same 'van to add benefits. We were also thinking of one that would be workable when one half is in your 'van and the other half is in your co-op buddies half ^^

Also, you've given me a great ultra promo card - double length trailer cards o_O "The Desert Barron" just a big ass long truck that counts as two units (awesome!) Or perhaps it only counts as one unit, so with one of these, you could essentially raise the number of units to 6 :O
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Green
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avianfoo wrote:
Actually not a bad idea for another unit type. Usually units are self-powered but some could be trailers and need to be pulled (or pushed) along.

Could that be what defines a 'leader unit' after all? The ability to pull one or more trucks? The artwork wouldn't need to be changed then (and it is lovely).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mgreen02 wrote:
Avianfoo wrote:

Could that be what defines a 'leader unit' after all? The ability to pull one or more trucks? The artwork wouldn't need to be changed then (and it is lovely).

Not a bad idea. I suppose Leader units could also be trailblazer units of some sort, carving a path through the wastes that the other caravan units can follow. But even that could probably be made to pull something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Ahh yes a very good idea indeed, but in thinking about the game at large, if we only make leader units able to pull stuff, then all "pullable trailers" that are not self powered will only be allowed to be sat next to the leader unit. As it wouldn't be beneficial for leaders to be anywhere other than the front (or the back for the special "lead from the back" leader, rules to come I'm sure ^^) then you essentially lock two cards down in place. If we do this, then we can only move 3 cards at a time. We may as well go "leader+pullable cart" + 4 cards - in which case, we may as well combine leader and pullable carts together. Which we have done All leasder units will be more buff than normal ones to show that they are kind of like 1.5 units really. Also some leader units are foot units "Ol' Blind Pete" for example, we will be doing this as a possiblity with other non-powered units (that they might be pulled by hand) but if ONLY old blind pete could pull them, and not "The juggernaut" in place 2 - it might seem odd. Damn good idea though.
To help a bit more, if your leader unit dies - you die. Leader units will also be respnsible for your player-power (each one different like the professions in pandemic) and they will normally have a big ol buff to the right and a bad one to the left, meaning that they kind of "do best" in the front. Other than this, they aer normal cards that can be passed around in the 'van just like it would be if it was all real and there were actualy spit-ball radiant monsters hunting me in my engineer wagon, following an old blind man to freedom... ¬_¬

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Re: AtomPunk - The Developers Diary - Update 2: Kickstarter Mailing List
Quote:
Well how do I sign up?

AtomPunk now has a proper website!

Go to http://cogentesque.wordpress.com/ to view my fancy new wordpress blog.

On there you will find TOP SECRET INSTRUCTIONS on how to join the secretive AtomPunk mailing list - when the time comes, there will be an email to you to let you know about Kickstarter.com GOGOGO time.

On there you will find some research images if you love emersing yourself in retro-future paraphenaelia and pictures of ww2 armored tractors (!) and I will also post some big 'ol updates on there.

What the hell are you doing Sam its taking ages?!

Good question sport, well at the moment I am splitting my time between rules development, rules theory, fun theory, artistry sourcing, artistry development, graphic card layout, symbol tree, getting up hype, designing websites and playtesting. Right now I am finishing the website (see above) and then I will probably start on some early symbols and the graphic layout - will def be posting a "what do you think of this layout?" in the boardgamedesign:art section here on bgg.

Hey Sam, can you help me out with my game pls?

Sure buddy! Spread the love man, we all help eachother out wherever we go, here, bgdf, f:at, metafilter, facebook etc just tell me what you need!

You said something about stories set in the AtomPunk universe?
Why yes I did you observant person you! somewhere around I dotted a pro spoiler saying that we will be writing some short stories to link in with the AtomPunk canon and run along side all of the cards to help explain them a little bit and just to be kick ass - these will probably be part of a kickstarter.com reward and if we get enough of them, and they are any good we will print 'em up too

How can I help at this stage?

If your an artist, go to the art thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7422734 and see if you can help out there. If you like creating things then go to the card idea thread http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/703701 but you will have to put some pretty pro ideas in to compete with some of our super pro champions in there for the free copy prize (Gary, Samantha, Daniel, Herc, Angelo, David, Matt, and okult). Otherwise, just general "Hey thats a cool idea, perhaps I should tell me friend? S/He likes co-op games!", or tell me where else I should post to get a bit more exposure, so far here, bgdf, f:at, metafilter, and purple pawn should be in the midst of writing up a WIP press release for AtomPunk - where else should I go?

Thanks all! I will definately keep you all updated and thank you all for being as cool as your guys are.

Sam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When do we get to playtest, Sam?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bacchus
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No one has asked the important question:

What is AtomChica's name?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.