Popular Tags: [View All]
A Derk appears from the mists...
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
<bo>Marissa, Tim, Ken, Derk</bo>

We decided to start out our Friday night session with a light-ish game and Ken suggested Marracash, with a quick second coming from Tim. We broke out the little pith helmet wearing tourists and started into the rules. Ken, Tim and I all had played before, so we tried to educate Marissa. Anyway, the initial auctions went fairly predictably, with each of us picking up a shop. However, I chose to auction a blue shop that was one step closer to the entrance than the blue shop that Marissa had just bought. I know that any of the others would have done the same thing, but I was to be reviled as a newbie beater for most of the rest of the game (and perhaps rightly so). Plus to make matters worse, I bought two juicy shops right next to one of the entrances. This normally isn’t a death sentence, but if no one else buys any of the shops on that entrance, you get absolutely no help from anyone (thus no income). And that’s enough to warrant a last drag before gritting your teeth for the inevitable skull-crushing bullet from the firing squad (perhaps a little over dramatic, but you get the point).

As I was playing pattycake with Death, the others continued the game of Marracash. Ken bought a yellow shop cheap, in an effort to drag several tourists around the block into Marissa’s ill-fated blue shop. This would prove to be the best bargain of the game. Ken shuttled in a couple tourists and collected some decent profit, with Marissa helping herself to the leftovers. Tim was doing fairly well, considering Ken and Marissa were working well together and I was the kiss of death. I was down to $25, and needed cash very badly. So I auctioned a couple of shops, but I again played into Ken’s hands. I had forgotten to consider that Ken would be next and therefore be able to make an instant two-tourist move after winning the purple shop I just auctioned. Oh well. Then I continued my winning streak by trying to place a couple of yellow tourists into my yellow shop. Again I had forgotten to consider that Ken would be next, and he promptly took my two yellows and made a staggering $900 for one turn. Oi. Luckily (for me), the game was nearly over. The final scores are much closer than I thought they would be, especially my score. But everyone else thought I wasn’t even close to winning at the end and therefore didn’t mind giving me a little charity if it meant a few extra couple bucks for themselves.

Ken 2925, Marissa 2175, Tim 2025, Derk 1975

<em>Tim: I like it, despite being awful at it. Rating: 7</em>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.