14 Posts

Stone Age: The Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: German rules online rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
black b
Germany
flag msg tools
The german rules are online. http://www.hans-im-glueck.de/fileadmin/data_archive/Regeln/S...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprised they chose black as the additional player colour (especially considering the meeple shape - might get some criticism here), but really pleased that there are actually 15 buildings included (9 new + 6 Spielbox).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Kaiserslautern
flag msg tools
badge
So this is my new overtext ? Hmmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing this out. After reading them, I'm not that impressed. Especially regarding the price tag (the expansion is only 5 € cheaper than the base game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imre Hauszknecht
Hungary
Pécs
flag msg tools
We'll kill you with kindness!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news! Schönen Dank!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new trading mechanic sounds very interesting and a real change for the game. The new huts are nice (especially those that allow players to have their own reserve of wood or gold by rolling the dice and paying less) and the fifth player is great news. This expansion will be mine for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I can't quite tell for certain from reading the rules: are the rings and claws/fangs wooden bits or cardboard chits? (And too bad we're not getting new wooden bits for food; this expansion would have been a groovy place to include such. And, given a fifth player is being added it's unfortunate that extra bits aren't being added for the other resources; it's not difficult to run out with 4p.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quixotequest wrote:
I can't quite tell for certain from reading the rules: are the rings and claws/fangs wooden bits or cardboard chits? (And too bad we're not getting new wooden bits for food; this expansion would have been a groovy place to include such. And, given a fifth player is being added it's unfortunate that extra bits aren't being added for the other resources; it's not difficult to run out with 4p.)
As far as Google translate is aware, the teeth and rings are made of wood:

"Material:
1 Spielplan
1 Spielertableau (für den
5. Spieler)
10 schwarze Personen aus Holz
3 schwarze Marker aus Holz
(2 kleine, 1 großer)
4 kleine Marker in 4 Farben
10 Schmuck (Zahn) aus Holz
5 Schmuck (Ring) aus Holz

9 neue Gebäudeplättchen
6 „Gebäudeplättchen Spielbox“
(siehe Seite 7)
9 neue Zivilisationskarten
5 100/200 Punkteplättchen
jederzeit im Vorrat getauscht werden."

Google translation:

"material:
Schedule 1
Tableau 1 player (for the
5th players)
10 black persons from wood
3 black marker from wood
(2 small, 1 large)
4 small markers in 4 colors
10 Jewellery (tooth) of wood
5 jewelry (ring) of wood
9 new building tiles
6 "building tiles Spielbox"
(see page 7)
9 new civilization cards
100/200 platelet 5 points
be changed at any time in the pool."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Togu Oppusunggu
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Can someone explain what the new trade mechanism is like? I didn't like my first experience of Stone Age very much. It felt somewhat like a repetitious accounting exercise, and I'm wondering if the new expansion might help break up some of what I experienced as a drawn-out though intense sameness. There were parts of the game that I liked, including the good civ feel of trying to advance your tribe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
toguopp wrote:
Can someone explain what the new trade mechanism is like? I didn't like my first experience of Stone Age very much. It felt somewhat like a repetitious accounting exercise, and I'm wondering if the new expansion might help break up some of what I experienced as a drawn-out though intense sameness. There were parts of the game that I liked, including the good civ feel of trying to advance your tribe.

There is a new village mini-board that must be placed over the old village. In the new village you will find all your old buildings (love shack, tool maker, field) plus the brand new Merchant (or Trader). By placing 2 meeples (same as by the love shack) on the Merchant space you'll get two ornaments for free and an increase by 2 in the trading chart (also visible under the village). According to your position on this chart, your ability to trade ornaments and resources varies:

field "2:1" of the chart (spaces 1-3): once per turn when you are trying to get a hut tile or a civ. card and you lack the corresponding resources, you can trade 2 of your ornaments or resources to get the resource (or ornament) you are missing and then take the hut/card.

field "1:1" of the chart (spaces 4-8): you can now trade 1 of your ornaments or resources to get the resource (or ornament) you ar missing and then take the hut/card.

field "1:2" of the chart (spaces 4-8): now you can trade 1 of your ornaments or resources and get 2 resources (or ornaments) you are missing and then take the hut/card.

The position on the trading chart also influences the final score, since now there are new civ. cards with the Merchant symbol that multiply by the number on the chart (same as with the farmers and the food track).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Tummelson
United States
Placitas
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
so are the English

Jay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riogames wrote:
so are the English

Jay
Great stuff Jay, really looking forward to this expansion. Could you provide a link to the English rules?

RGG Game Page: http://www.riograndegames.com/games.html?id=398
RGG Rules: http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_398_gameRule...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
riogames wrote:
so are the English

Jay
Thank you! Can you clarify this difference between the German and English rules, please?

German rules (page 5) state you may trade even if you didn't place your men on the trader spot on that turn.
English rules (page 5) state you can trade only if you didn't place your men on the trader spot on that turn.

To me this seems a big difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Complete Speculation:

I bet this is a mistranslation. There doesn't seem to be a compelling reason to me to not allow trading on the turn in which you increase your trade rating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giorgio S.
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GabrielGeek wrote:

Thank you! Can you clarify this difference between the German and English rules, please?

German rules (page 5) state you may trade even if you didn't place your men on the trader spot on that turn.
English rules (page 5) state you can trade only if you didn't place your men on the trader spot on that turn.

To me this seems a big difference.

I'm also interested to have a clarification on this point.. Trader is far weaker than other strategies according to English rules. I tried it yesterday and I think it's underpowered played in this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls